PDA

View Full Version : How long does alchemist's fire burn for?

Phhase
2020-05-09, 05:17 PM
The rules say something to the effect of "Until the flaming creature puts it out" but that's only if you hit a creature. I'm wondering how it would work I threw a bit of brown mold with a bit of a. fire. Hopefully it wouldn't burn forever...

sandmote
2020-05-09, 07:44 PM
For practical purposes I'd end it after 1 minute. Party doesn't stand around staring at flame for an extended period and harder to abuse. For sea battles I'd say attacks involve more than one flask of the stuff and last 10 minutes as a result.

Note that greek fire lasted not-quite 18 hours total (to be made at noon and going out only by sunrise) but probably required specialized containers to do so (we don't know). The time it lasted after being fired I doubt was anywhere near as long. Just because Alchemist's fire lasts indefinitely for game play purposes I don't think means it should last long outside the flask.

Phhase
2020-05-09, 08:16 PM
For practical purposes I'd end it after 1 minute. Party doesn't stand around staring at flame for an extended period and harder to abuse. For sea battles I'd say attacks involve more than one flask of the stuff and last 10 minutes as a result.

Note that greek fire lasted not-quite 18 hours total (to be made at noon and going out only by sunrise) but probably required specialized containers to do so (we don't know). The time it lasted after being fired I doubt was anywhere near as long. Just because Alchemist's fire lasts indefinitely for game play purposes I don't think means it should last long outside the flask.

That feels right. Wouldn't want a a Brown Moldocalypse anyway.

JackPhoenix
2020-05-10, 07:32 AM
It doesn't says the creature who puts it out has to be the one on fire. But as written, it burns forever unless someone puts it out. Wouldn't cause much of an apocalypse anyway.... the mold expands in the direction of the fire, but if the fire is in the middle of a patch, it won't spread away from it.