PDA

View Full Version : Dual wand and celerity?

bean illus
2020-05-09, 06:11 PM
Before i chase something silly any farther (again), I'll just ask. Is this silly? Does it not work? Why? Is the investment to much?

I assume there are several better ways to do this, but assume Duskblade 13/ Chameleon 7. Just because that's where i started, and what I'll understand. Advice on the build is welcome, but the real question first is more about if the stunt is legal, or too feat intensive, or bound to fail, etc.

Able Learner,
Craft Wand, Extraordinary Artisan (ECS). Easy to understand. Chameleon can put any 5th or under spell in a wand (or other), and cheap.

Double Wand Wielder (ComArc), TWF. Expensive, but you have the option to do 2 standard wand spells for a full attack. Any spell, pretty much any time ...

But 8 feats is costly on a build that starts with a feat tax, and has few bonus feats. That leaves only 5 open feats. But before the question of which 5 feats,

Does it work, and is it worth it on a gish?

The obvious power standard is improving DB 20, ... or Cham 10, etc. So, this isn't an optimization showcase. We all know that Chameleon level 4 spells have more everything than DB 5th.

Oh yeah, celerity.
Quick Recovery (LoM). Is that a solid recovery for dazed? Or is dazed to rare for a feat? What if ... I'm dazed often?

Passing out standard and move actions like tokens sounds fun.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-09, 06:27 PM
Celerity, as well as the lesser and greater versions, have this:
Casting Time: 1 immediate action

Rules Compendium, page 85:
Activating a spell trigger item takes the same
amount of time as the casting time of the spell
that the item stores, but activating the item
doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity.

Double Wand Wielder, CA:
Benefit: As a full-round action, you can wield a wand in
each hand (if you have both hands free), with one wand des-
ignated as your primary wand and the other your secondary
wand. Each use of the secondary wand expends 2 charges
from it instead of 1.

You can't combine double wand wielder with a full attack, it takes its own full-round action to use. You're foregoing attacks for the round to instead activate two immediate-action wands as a full-round action.

You may as well just put one of those in a wand chamber, take a full attack, then activate it with your swift action. (Rules Compendium page 7, immediate actions can be taken on your own turn, doing so spends that turn's swift action.)

bean illus
2020-05-09, 07:57 PM
Celerity, as well as the lesser and greater versions, have this:
Casting Time: 1 immediate action

Yes, exactly.

Rules Compendium, page 85:
Activating a spell trigger item takes the same
amount of time as the casting time of the spell
that the item stores, but activating the item
doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity.

Really? I thought a wand was a standard, or longer if the spell is longer. Am i hearing that there are swift wands?

Double Wand Wielder, CA:
Benefit: As a full-round action, you can wield a wand in each hand (if you have both hands free), with one wand designated as your primary wand and the other your secondary wand. Each use of the secondary wand expends 2 charges
from it instead of 1.

You can't combine double wand wielder with a full attack, it takes its own full-round action to use. You're foregoing attacks for the round to instead activate two immediate-action wands as a full-round action.

Oh I'm not trying to full attack AND dual wand on the same round. Is that what it sounded like?

I'm trying to swift a celerity on myself, take a standard, then fire off 2 wands, whenever I'm not full attacking.

A wand of celerity COULD be part of that, IF i can nail down recovery from dazed. It just sounds fun to, give the tank a move, dimension hop the rogue into position, and give the ranged damage a standard action. Probably a waste of my own actions? but sounds cool.