PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Has there ever been an artifact write-up of the seal of solomon?

petermcleod117
2020-05-10, 02:34 PM
what it says on the tin. You know, a magic ring with the ability to enslave demons and genies. I've seen a number of other mythological write-ups for such things in various d20 sources, but never the ring itself.

I suppose if it comes down to it I could just re-flavor the Iron Flask of Tuerny the Merciless, but if the thing already exists then I would like to use it.

thank you.

inuyasha
2020-05-10, 03:07 PM
There are two that I know of, however both are old and one is third party:

One is from Fantastic Treasures II by Role-Aids, an old third party company that made things for AD&D. This iteration is worn as a necklace and does two things. It wards off fever and disease, and arrests the progress of any diseases that the wearer has, and it also is mentioned that the seal of solomon can be drawn on floors and genie bottles and things as a way of binding magically summoned beings in such a way that it may not be broken except for a few rare magic users and clerics who know the secret of breaking the seal.

The other version apparently shows up in the first module in the Desert of Desolation series for 2nd edition, something that my dad told me about recently. It includes a clay jug with symbols and an inscription on it at the end of a trap-filled dungeon, and when he read it out to his players, I guess my uncle immediately recognized it and said "Uhhh, that's the Seal of Solomon... we put everything back and get the heck out of here. So it's not exactly a magic item in the 'cool piece of gear' sense, but it's a magic clay jug that held an efreet boss.

Probably not exactly what you were looking for, considering neither one of those is a ring, and they're not 3rd edition, but that's all I've got, haha. I'm not entirely sure on this one, but you might have some luck scrolling through the Dragon Magazine archives in The Wayback Machine, where they are all available legally. I don't know if The Seal of Solomon is in there, but I remember there being a series of articles about historical mythological items and writing them up for 3rd edition. Here's a link to the index of Dragon articles if you want to scan that for article names before digging through PDFs (http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/articles-subject.html).

I hope this helps a little! :smallsmile:

thorr-kan
2020-05-10, 06:10 PM
Seal of of Jafar al-Samal from 2E's Book of Artifacts.

"This seal is a 3-foot—tall golden jar containing four gen that correspond to the four elements. The vessel is sealed with lead and inscribed with a silver talisman bearing Jafar's name. The seal can only be found in Zakhara."

petermcleod117
2020-05-11, 10:46 PM
I'm not entirely sure on this one, but you might have some luck scrolling through the Dragon Magazine archives in The Wayback Machine, where they are all available legally. I don't know if The Seal of Solomon is in there, but I remember there being a series of articles about historical mythological items and writing them up for 3rd edition. Here's a link to the index of Dragon articles if you want to scan that for article names before digging through PDFs (http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/articles-subject.html).

i found the dragon article you were referring to (issue 297), but unfortunately it did not have the ring of solomon. It did have the Golem of Prague, however, which is directly applicable to the campaign I'm running at the moment, so thank you :smallsmile:

oh yeah, and if anyone looking here is using 5e, I found the ring in Enchanted Armory: Arms and Armors.