PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Za Warudo

Eraknephobia
2020-05-11, 12:40 AM
I don't know what's up with me accidentally making busted anime characters in 3.5, but I did it again.
Say hello to what started off as a fun strength sorcerer build, and turned into the fight scene from JoJo's bizarre adventure with Star Platinum and The World.
youtube.com/watch?v=-FT23AwNPOM (I can't post links until I have 10 posts, I'm sorry)
P.S. I can't take full credit for this one. My friend showed me earth spell while we were discussing Gish builds we had made.

Let's start with the build.

Swiftblade 10: That's it, that's the build. Every one can go home now. No seriously. However you can get into this class effectively, do it. I did some hoop jumping with a build and got into it at level 6. That's not even necessary. I got to 8th level spells in my gish build with this and it still just... oh boy. Innervated speed, the 10th level ability in this prc reads:
"Any time you prepare or spontaneously cast haste in a 6th level spell slot, you can subsume the spell at the moment of casting instead, increasing your speed so greatly that other creatures seem frozen in time, as the time stop spell, but for one round. See the spell description on page 294 of the Player's Handbook. For each spell slot level higher than 6th level, you can extend innervated speed by 1 additional round. For example, a sorcerer could subsume haste in an 8th level spell slot to create three rounds of innervated speed. You cannot subsume a new haste spell until the original innervated speed duration expires and your turn ends. Moreover, you cannot subsume a metamagic version of haste."
That sounds fine and dandy and already allows us to stop time for a few rounds. But we are here to recreate the famous JoJo's bizzare adventure fight, not just stop time as the spell early.

Feats:
Improved Sigil (Krau) or similar feat: heighten spell for free. Technically these methods aren't metamagic (unless you pick one that says you may heighten the spell for free) so it works in giving you an extra round of stopped time (5 rounds have passed!)

Any prerequisits for swift blade (duh) or Earth Spell: What is earth spell you say? Well...

Earth Spell: You need to be touching un-worked stone or Earth as well as earth sense and heighten spell. This feat reads:
"You can use the Heighten Spell feat to added effect. If you cast a spell using a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level, the spell is treated as a spell of two levels higher and your effective caster level is increased by one. If you use a spell slot two levels higher, the spell is treated as three levels higher and your effective caster level is increased by two, and so on. You cannot gain the benefit of this feat when casting a spell with the air, fire, or water descriptor."
Haste is not an elemental effect so perfect. Next thing, saying you can heighten the spell to greater effects is flavor text. So when you prepare Haste as a spell of say 9th level, sudo heightened to 10th? That is 14 gosh darn rounds of stopped time. I don't even know what you want to do with that amount of stopped time. Plan your buff spells carefully, because some of them will run out before this duration is over. That's how insane it is. Now if only we could directly hurt someone in stopped time...

Contingent Spell: as the crafting feat or the spell. How does contingent spell play into all of this? Well it means you can have haste go off (and then subsumed) when certain conditions are met. What sort of conditions you ask? Oh I don't know, how about when another spellcaster (Or swiftblade) enters stopped time with time stop. You are now in stopped time with them. Sure, the spell says you cannot harm other creatures. But this spell wasn't designed thinking another creature could enter another creature's stopped time. I would argue they could now harm each other as they are in the same space. Plus the user of the spell can still take damage while time is stopped. At worst, you find some creative ways to harm the other person in stopped time with you or spend the entire time casting dispells on each other or some other plan foiling. You have 14 rounds though. Unless someone else cheesed this hard with THEIR swiftblade, they are falling out of stopped time before you.

Check with your dm before trying to make this fun recreation on paper into a reality. They could argue that the person who cast the spell first would get their time stop first and act that way, and then you get 14 rounds to figure out what they did, stop it, and pull your own bs.
Now before make this one critical error, always remember t- youtube.com/watch?v=PdPpWBr6PQ0

Kayblis
2020-05-11, 02:02 AM
Weak. Weak, I say! You need to go beyond that.

By the rules, being in stopped time makes everyone invulnerable to you. Even if you use Contingency to cast it, you're still affected as if casting the spell on yourself. You can't just assume you'll be able to affect a character that's also in stopped time. By the rules, you two will be invulnerable to each other's attacks. No, you need a better solution.

What's better than free time stop rounds? well, free real time rounds. Add the Delayed MM to the equation, to be sure you'll have spells going off after the Time Stop effect ends. You could have most area and personal spells go off like that, but if you really want to make a JoJo Reference™, you will cast Delayed Greater Celerity as many times as possible to gain as many full-rounds as possible, and thus make as many unarmed flurry full-attacks as possible, all in the span of a couple seconds(the end of your first real-time round). Remember to shout at least 8 ORAs per second, as it's a required part of the build. Burn those high-level slots like there's no second encounter in the day.

Then get kicked for being 'that JoJo guy'.

Buufreak
2020-05-11, 09:34 AM
Nothing new here, to he honest. But that happens when the game is 15+ years old.