PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Easiest way to get continuous speak with animals AND magical beasts?

Gavinfoxx
2020-05-11, 12:58 AM
So I'm running a game where a LOT of npc's have familiars, each of which has their own personality. Sadly, it's difficult to show, since many of these familiars cant speak. What's the simplest and most expedient item that allows a character to be able to continuously speak with both animals and intelligent magical beasts that don't have a language?

Do we just get a WHOLE LOT of very small pearls of speech (some of the familiars are quite small)?

TalonOfAnathrax
2020-05-11, 02:16 AM
I don't know about speaking with magical beasts, but you can take a warlock dip for continuous speak with animals.

Gavinfoxx
2020-05-11, 02:39 AM
Item only options please. I want to know options for enabling a village's several familiars to be, you know, characters that can communicate, thanks!

Vizzerdrix
2020-05-11, 04:01 AM
If you are the DM, just use a bit of handwavium and give all familiars the ability to speak common.

Emperor Tippy
2020-05-11, 07:54 AM
Tongues (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/tongues.htm) lets you speak with any intelligent creature.

Tongues plus Fox's Cunning will let you speak with anything in the game that doesn't have a null Int score.

Psyren
2020-05-11, 09:18 AM
Make pearls of speech for all the familiars. Cheesy but cheap :smallbiggrin:

ShurikVch
2020-05-11, 09:41 AM
Torc of Animal Speech (Faiths and Pantheons): Speak with Animals at will; 12000 gp

Also, Speak with Animals says: "animals", not "Animals"; thus, creatures with (Augmented Animal) subtype could be legit too

nijineko
2020-05-12, 03:59 PM
Does the item need to be portable?

Thurbane
2020-05-12, 04:58 PM
What would be the recommended pricing for an item that has continual Speak with Animal and Tongues effects? I always get confused calculating items with multiple effects...

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-05-12, 08:29 PM
What would be the recommended pricing for an item that has continual Speak with Animal and Tongues effects? I always get confused calculating items with multiple effects...Assuming the correct slot:
Speak With Animals: Druid 1: 1(spell lvl)*1(caster lvl)*2000*2(duration)=4,000
Tongues: Bard 2: 2(spell)*4(caster)*2000*1.5(duration)=24,000
Combine: 24,000+(4,000*1.5)=30,000

That said, drop a statue of a parrot in the middle of town that emits a permanent Speak With Animals aura. It was placed there by the town's founder as a sign of his love for his first familiar, a parrot that was brutally slain by a necromancer.

Nifft
2020-05-12, 09:44 PM
Does the item need to be portable?

Hnmm, now I want my settings to include a bar just for familiars, awakened animals, special mounts, and other non-humanoid creatures who have to put up with PC-like behavior.

The stationary magic item allows them to communicate (particularly with the bartender, but also each other if they're in the mood).

TheCount
2020-05-13, 09:29 AM
Hnmm, now I want my settings to include a bar just for familiars, awakened animals, special mounts, and other non-humanoid creatures who have to put up with PC-like behavior.

The stationary magic item allows them to communicate (particularly with the bartender, but also each other if they're in the mood).

Like that one episode in Pokémon where they got separated from their trainers?

There is craft rune circle, in races of stone

bekeleven
2020-05-15, 03:33 AM
My friend once ran a campaign of all awakened animals. They were familiars and companions that were searching for their party.

As for this thread: This sounds like a flavor problem and could have a flavor solution. In other words, if you want it to be a certain way, don't worry overmuch why it is.