PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How would you adjudicate this?

SangoProduction
2020-05-11, 03:31 AM
So, Dreamscarred Press printed a book for playable true dragons....named Monster Classes: True Dragons. Yes. Truly the most creative and unexpected name ever. I won't say my thoughts on it as a whole, but there was this bit here that I'd like someone to rule on.

A white dragon’s secondary breath weapon is a line of freezing water and sleet that coats its area with slippery ice, acting as a grease spell with a duration of one minute per age category of the white dragon.

So, obviously, you would very obviously be able to coat the ground in the ice, as dangerous terrain. A line is pretty useless for that purpose, but you take what you can get.

However, would anyone actually let you have the secondary functions of the spell (aka, coating items / creatures in ice) to be used in that line? If so, would it only affect the first target, as though a normal casting of grease? Would it be able to affect all available targets in the line? Would it be able to affect all and for squares without targets, act as ground-based grease? Or something else entirely?

Angrith
2020-05-11, 11:26 AM
I would rule that you only get the area effect. Grease's second ability specifically requires the targeting of items. Since the dragon's breath is a line effect, that explicitly calls out coating its area, it shouldn't allow the targeting of items.

SangoProduction
2020-05-11, 03:54 PM
I would rule that you only get the area effect. Grease's second ability specifically requires the targeting of items. Since the dragon's breath is a line effect, that explicitly calls out coating its area, it shouldn't allow the targeting of items.

A very simple and straightforward way of ruling it that I'd probably agree with.