PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Warblade modification

Lord_0B1
2020-05-11, 05:25 AM
I have a wandering swordsman in mind, kind of like the stereo typical honorable ronin from any anime series you can think of, Jubei come quickly to mind. The updated VoP from here and possibly aiming at retirement once his goal was achieved. I was thinking about welding three classes into one being OA Samurai and Iaijutsu Master (which should have been done in the first place), and Warblade. My question is how do i determine what level to slide in separate class features? I have a rough idea where Iaijutsu fits into Samurai based on bonus feats and BAB requirements. so 6th for weapon finesse and canny defence and just follow the progression. Where do I start cutting up the warblade? Ancestral daisho would replace weapon aptitude, but does it make the concept to MAD or over powered if I keep the Battle tree? I know in advance that people are going to call him a one trick pony, but what else can you do without full spell progression? No stats yet as they are inmaterial to what I am trying to do, build a fun class that can be role played well, but can at least roll play without self destructing when someone looks at him. The schools were going to be Diamond mind, Iron heart, White raven, and maybe a dip into stone dragon.

Elves
2020-05-11, 10:22 AM
The class abilities from those two classes are not at all flavorful (they don't have a strong link to the class identity: for example, what does adding Cha to initiative have to do with being a samurai?). Just play a warblade and wield a katana and wakizashi and call yourself a samurai.

Possibly ask your DM for Iaijutsu Focus as a class skill. But I don't see how that skill adds much samurai flavor either.

nonsi
2020-05-11, 12:01 PM
Take the Warblade and apply the following changes:
1. Add Iaijutsu Focus, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) and Ride as class skills. If you want to be true to the Samurai theme, remove Climb & Tumble. Samurai were quite rooted to the ground when on their feet. It's necessary for Iaijutsu and it's part of the philosophy that a warrior draws strength and stability from the earth (I practiced traditional Ninjutsu for a few months and we touched upon the Samurai stance).
2. Replace Weapon Aptitude with Ancestral Daisho (a big leap).
3. Make Iaijutsu Master a feat. Goes well with the Dragon style.
4. Use your own proposed disciplines.

Lord_0B1
2020-05-11, 06:25 PM
Ok sounds a lot easier than I was making it in my head. I'll throw up the Iaijutsu feat that I compress. I assume that losing Cha to initiative would also remove it from the iaijutsu die, just replace it with Int as they were also some of the only scholarly warriors?

nonsi
2020-05-11, 09:44 PM
Forgot to add, give them heavy armor proficiency.
High ranking Samurai wore full body armor. It also served as symbol of status.

Lord_0B1
2020-05-13, 06:26 AM
Iaijutsu Master (Feat) (General)
Having trained under the demanding tutelage of the Hikendio School you have learnt how to draw and strike a vital point on your opponent.
Any time you draw your weapon, and apply Iaijutsu damage and apply your INT bonus to each die. You also can strike twice with this draw and apply Iaijutsu bonus damage to each attack. This skill can not be used again until you sheath your weapon and re-draw. If you are within melee range of your opponent when combat begins, you can use this skill as a surprise round before initiative is determined. The Iaijutsu Master can use this surprise round even if the target is aware of you presence.