PDA

View Full Version : Artificer steel defender bonus action timing

Camman1984
2020-05-11, 10:24 AM
With the artifice steel defender, it takes its turn immediately after me, but take any action other than dodge unless I spend a bonus action to tell it to.

Can I spend the bonus action in my turn to tell it to attack, but then move it in it's own turn before using the attack. Or does its attack work as an "interrupt" during my own action as such

My turn starts
I move
I attack
Pet attacks on my bonus action
My turn ends
Pets turn starts
It can move
It dodges
Pets turn ends

basically meaning it can only attack if it is already in combat at the start if my turn, but can still use it's own action to dodge during it's own turn.

Thanks

stoutstien
2020-05-11, 10:29 AM
Okay I think I know what you're asking.

As written the SD can only move/take an action after your turn is complete other than reactions which follow the Normal rules.

The bonus action command to attack/ movement can happen anytime during the SD turn. So your flow chart is almost correct. the bonus action is giving the still defender its command it doesn't have to complete that command in the same time frame. Think of it like the bonus action command for animate dead.

Camman1984
2020-05-11, 10:38 AM
That's good, I was hoping it would be that way so I can have it run off and do something for me, be it gore someone, search for something, help someone etc.

Contrast
2020-05-11, 10:41 AM
For clarity, moving is not a type of action (though the Dash action can grant additional movement). Its just a thing creatures can do on their turn. You can see an example of this in the spell Hypnotic Pattern. It causes targets to become Incapacitated (can't take actions or reactions) but has to specify separately that while subject to the spell they also have a speed of 0 as otherwise they could still move around while incapacitated.

When it says it can't take any action unless commanded, this does not include movement. So during its turn it can move and attack if commanded to do so by the bonus action.

The Steel Defener does not get to attack on your turn. It will attack on its own turn (or using opportunity attacks) like normal creatures, following your commands as laid out in the class feature.

Throne12
2020-05-11, 02:53 PM
You take your hole turn the after you are done your defender takes it turn.

In combat, the steel defender shares your initiative count, but it takes its turn immediately after yours. It can move and use its reaction on its own, but the only action it takes on its turn is the Dodge action, unless you take a bonus action on your turn to command it to take one of the actions in its stat block or the Dash, Disengage, Help, Hide, or Search action.