PDA

View Full Version : How was Zuggtmoy imprisoned?

hirojinbrodie
2020-05-11, 10:32 AM
I'm running a campaign, and it so happens that the imprisonment of Zuggtmoy is important to it. So, how the hell was she imprisoned on the material plane? I've been struggling to find specifics, even in the module of the temple of elemental evil. Though I may be missing it.

Nifft
2020-05-11, 12:28 PM
Graz'zt was also imprisoned (by Iggwilv in Greyhawk lore), as was Iuz.

I don't think the mechanics of those imprisonments are ever spelled out, in part for game-preservation reasons -- giving players a reliable way to bind demon princes might tend to change the game in ways the designers didn't prefer.

Furthermore, I don't think it's necessary for anyone (player or DM) to know the mechanics. You can give vague hints if you want to lead the players into specific scenarios -- a stone tablet with ancient writing (an Epic spell device), a rod-shaped indentation and traces of Necromancy, a legendary heroic (?) sacrifice ghost bound into an amulet with two other souls, a tree grown in darkness nourished by the flesh of the undead and shaped into a topiary magic circle with rotting rune-leaves that feed on the Abyssal spores of the captive in the center -- but only give hints, and never spell out the mechanics unless you want the players to focus exclusively on playing Demon Prince Pokemon (gotta bind 'em all), which sounds fun but in an end-game type of way.

Thurbane
2020-05-11, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the Circle of Eight were involved, according to Greyhawk lore. A bunch of powerful casters got together can cast a bunch of spells, creating seals that locked her in the lower levels of the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Afghanistan
2020-05-11, 06:42 PM
As mentioned above, the specifics were never given as to how she was imprisoned, who done it, and furthermore, when it happened is only loosely known with her incarceration being at minimum 15 years. It is however known that Robilar released her if the players do not in The Temple of Elemental Evil (why? Find out in Return to the Ruins of Greyhawk!), but beyond that? It's entirely up to the GM to determine how she was bound. What do we know? Well, we know HOW her prison worked, and the circumstance by which she is released. I should note, that without the context of the module, the maps associated with it, and various other features, this passage might not make sense, but it is still pretty neat:

The demoness is imprisoned is a room of Dungeon Level Three, and cannot free herself.

Four huge bronze gates exist within the dungeon complex, the first found at the Grand Entrance (area 1), the others described in areas 145, 210, and 340. If the lowest pair of valves (340) is destroyed, Zuggtmoy is free to roam areas 339-353. If the gates at 210 are opened as well, she is free to roam the second and third dungeon levels. If the gates of area 145 are further sundered, she can also roam dungeon levels one and four. If all the gates are destroyed, Zuggtmoy is completely freed.

Further into the dungeon, there are several pillars in a throne room with Zuggtmoy chilling on said throne. She is disguised and screeches at the party to take her treasure at their own risk, but offers the party 3 pillars, one made of Electrum, one made of Gold, and one made of Platinum, that weigh like staffs and once they get close to the gates, smash them, allowing Zuggtmoy to escape. If the player's refuse to take the pillars, then they are attacked by an Illusion and may loot several gemstones crested on top of the throne that when removed also release Zuggtmoy.

How does any of this work? Who knows! Your the GM, you make it up, like a lot of early TSR designed modules were written. :smallbiggrin: