PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Gloomstalker/Monk: magic initiate - what spells to take

Helliquin
2020-05-11, 01:44 PM
G'day all

This is a follow on question from the Staff of Defense from GlassStaff LMoP.

On discussion with DM, he has said that if a character takes Magic Initiate, they would be able to use the spell part of the Staff of Defense. (Mage Armor, Shield).

Currently I have a Wood Elf lvl 2 ranger, 19 Dex, 16 Wis, 14 Con, who will be going Gloomstalker/Drunken Master.

Character is based off Australian culture... think Crocodile Dundee mixed with a healthy dose of Australian Aboriginal spirituality (aka.. magic), but also likes getting drunk.

Note we are using the Class Variant features from UA - so Hunters Mark is already known.

Ranger has Absorb Elements and Zephyr Strike.

For lvl 1 spell, was thinking Find Familiar.

Cantrips: mage hand and message

Also has access to Disguise Self from gloomstalker.

Input on cantrip and spell selection?

I was thinking for ASI:
- First - Elven Accuracy - Dex to 20.
- when would be a good time to get Magic Initiate instead of taking extra points in WIS? The +1AC from staff and access to Shield seems to be worth a consideration, especially since it is a reaction which monk/ranger has not as many competing slots.

Warlush
2020-05-11, 01:50 PM
I'll be the jerk who says Shillelagh, thorn whip, and goodberry.

CTurbo
2020-05-11, 02:04 PM
I would either choose Bless, Guidance, and Sacred Flame

or

Find Familiar, Minor Illusion, and Mage Hand

I would also choose Shadow instead of Drunken Master but that's just me.

Helliquin
2020-05-11, 02:12 PM

Druids spell list doesnt include Mage Armor or Shield.

Helliquin
2020-05-11, 02:15 PM
I would either choose Bless, Guidance, and Sacred Flame

or

Find Familiar, Minor Illusion, and Mage Hand

I would also choose Shadow instead of Drunken Master but that's just me.

Drunken for more thematic reasons, otherwise, yes.

Minor Illusion was on the list but as the character has fallen in to the role of scout, I figure message was a better option.

Bobthewizard
2020-05-11, 02:54 PM
Drunken for more thematic reasons, otherwise, yes.

Minor Illusion was on the list but as the character has fallen in to the role of scout, I figure message was a better option.

You can use minor illusion to replicate message. Make the auditory illusion a whisper in someone's ear.

If you use arrows at all and you have to track them, mending is a lifesaver. If you are mostly melee, fog cloud can be helpful, but find familiar would be great.

Yuroch Kern
2020-05-15, 03:03 AM
G'day all

This is a follow on question from the Staff of Defense from GlassStaff LMoP.

On discussion with DM, he has said that if a character takes Magic Initiate, they would be able to use the spell part of the Staff of Defense. (Mage Armor, Shield).

Currently I have a Wood Elf lvl 2 ranger, 19 Dex, 16 Wis, 14 Con, who will be going Gloomstalker/Drunken Master.

Character is based off Australian culture... think Crocodile Dundee mixed with a healthy dose of Australian Aboriginal spirituality (aka.. magic), but also likes getting drunk.

Note we are using the Class Variant features from UA - so Hunters Mark is already known.

Ranger has Absorb Elements and Zephyr Strike.

For lvl 1 spell, was thinking Find Familiar.

Cantrips: mage hand and message

Also has access to Disguise Self from gloomstalker.

Input on cantrip and spell selection?

I was thinking for ASI:
- First - Elven Accuracy - Dex to 20.
- when would be a good time to get Magic Initiate instead of taking extra points in WIS? The +1AC from staff and access to Shield seems to be worth a consideration, especially since it is a reaction which monk/ranger has not as many competing slots.

Huh. Well, partial consideration is are you taking Wizard or Sorcerer? It is a difference of Int or Chr for your Initiate casting. Also, your picks are fine. Rangerness will do everything else you need. You should do ASIs at Ranger 4, go 5th level, then go Monk. You'll have Extra attack, more spells, and only delay the ASIs by one level. You could go back and forth, but this is probably the best way to go. How far do you think the game will go though?

D.U.P.A.
2020-05-16, 09:01 PM

Magic stone instead of Thorn whip so you have also a magical ranged multiattack ;)