PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Eberron: Two-Handed Arcane Focus - possibilities?

Wasp
2020-05-12, 06:16 AM
Hi everyone

is there a way to optimize the optional rule from Eberron (definitely included in the Unearthed Arcana, but if I remember correctly also included in the "Rising from the Last War" source book) that while using a two-handed arcane focus the range of an offensive cantrip requiring a saving throw or an attack roll is increased by 50 percent and that using a two-handed arcane focus fulfills the somatic component requirement for a spell?

I feel there could be some Eldritch Blast shenenigans?

Cheers

Wasp

Arkhios
2020-05-12, 06:21 AM
Hi everyone

is there a way to optimize the optional rule from Eberron (definitely included in the Unearthed Arcana, but if I remember correctly also included in the "Rising from the Last War" source book) that while using a two-handed arcane focus the range of an offensive cantrip requiring a saving throw or an attack roll is increased by 50 percent and that using a two-handed arcane focus fulfills the somatic component requirement for a spell?

I feel there could be some Eldritch Blast shenenigans?

Cheers

Wasp

Definitely. Grab a Staff, aim it like it was a rifle, and blast away with Eldritch Spear Invocation at 450 (300 * 1.5) ft. range, or 900 (450 * 2) ft. range if you also have Spell Sniper feat.

Chronos
2020-05-12, 06:51 AM
The thing is, range isn't relevant all that often. In most situations in D&D, you'll hit an effective maximum range due to terrain or vision limits well before you'll get to the maximum for your spell. It doesn't matter if your range is 600', if it's only 80' to where the tunnel goes around a corner.

Wasp
2020-05-13, 04:29 AM
True. It really seems to work as military battlefield application (as probably intended).

What about a thorn whip though? 45 feet instead of 30? Worth it?

Arkhios
2020-05-13, 04:41 AM
True. It really seems to work as military battlefield application (as probably intended).

What about a thorn whip though? 45 feet instead of 30? Worth it?

In smaller scale (that fits on most battle mats) a 15 feet difference matters quite a bit, so yes, it would be worth it.

Evaar
2020-05-13, 12:04 PM
This could work well with an Evoker. Because Sculpt lets you exempt your allies from your blasts, but not yourself, you are incentivized to stay as far from the center of battle as possible.

However, a clever DM will note this tendency and position a skirmisher/rogue type to pick you off while you're isolated. So make sure to keep a Dimension Door or something like that handy.

It's not going to completely reshape most battles, but in general your goal as a wizard is to avoid melee, monsters only have so much speed, this lets you stay out of their range more easily.

Also of note - Counterspell. Its range is quite limited and one of the techniques to get around it is to outrange it. If your Counterspell can reach further than the enemy's, you have a substantial advantage. You can Counter them, they can't Counter you.

Contrast
2020-05-13, 12:09 PM
(definitely included in the Unearthed Arcana, but if I remember correctly also included in the "Rising from the Last War" source book)

Huh. I have no recollection of that from UA or the book. Do you(/anyone else) mind pointing me in the right direction as to where exactly this is?

JackPhoenix
2020-05-13, 12:32 PM
Also of note - Counterspell. Its range is quite limited and one of the techniques to get around it is to outrange it. If your Counterspell can reach further than the enemy's, you have a substantial advantage. You can Counter them, they can't Counter you.

Unfortunately, no. Even if you increase Counterspell's range, the trigger is still a creature casting a spell within 60' of you... not within the spell's range.

Wasp
2020-05-13, 02:45 PM
This could work well with an Evoker.
Unfortunately, the rules variant seems to only apply to cantrips. However, as it doesn't seem to have made it into the final book, it's not official anyway...

Huh. I have no recollection of that from UA or the book. Do you(/anyone else) mind pointing me in the right direction as to where exactly this is?
It seems it was only in the UA Magic Items of Eberron and the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron. The link to the UA is here: https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_Magic_Items_of_Eberron.pdf

Evaar
2020-05-13, 03:59 PM
Unfortunately, no. Even if you increase Counterspell's range, the trigger is still a creature casting a spell within 60' of you... not within the spell's range.

Good catch.