PDA

View Full Version : DM Help LMoP and SKT linking?

Eldariel
2020-05-12, 08:22 AM
Hi,

So I'm running LMoP into SKT for a group of friends. We started LMoP on level 3 and I enhanced the encounters from the start, but we're doing it by the book and ending at level 5-6. I'm looking for good segues and tie-ins between the two: obviously Triboar is a natural starting point and much of the early SKT can be run as-is. I can also have them randomly spot a "cloud" above them having a castle on top of it as Nightstone is happening, and I can add reports of chromatic Dragon and Giant attacks around the world in local news.

However, I want more direct tie-ins. One thing I was thinking about was having the Wave Echo Mines themselves be a plot point, and perhaps having Nezznar and the Doppelgangers tied to the Kraken Society (which in turn is poorly developed in SKT) somehow. If Wave Echo Mines contained an "artifact" important to the giants or something, that feels pretty workable: suddenly PCs start off unknowingly in the possession of something really important to a giant faction: perhaps something the dwarves had been crafting for the giants to bargain for e.g. fire/stone giants' help against the orcs but it never made the delivery. But I'm looking for more concrete ideas. That would also make Nezznar's interest in the mines more natural: it'd be an important piece in inciting the power struggle between the giants to make a lesser, evil caste like Fire Giants feel they can raise up to the status of rulership.

TL;DR: Looking for tie-in ideas between LMoP and SKT.

Also looking for help fleshing out:

- Giant artifact/item in the Wave Echo Caves

- Nezznar linked to the broader story (potentially the Kraken Society?)

Zhorn
2020-05-12, 08:38 AM
A fragment of the Vonindod would be the easiest artefact to drop into Wave Echo Cave.
A 1,000 lb. adamantine shard from a gargantuan construct covered in jotunild runes (dialect of fire giants).
The Rockseeker brothers could excavate it (with or without the aid of the PCs), and once it it out from the mines, the fire giants could start tracking it. Reveal that the magic of the spell forge was (unintentionally) concealing it from magical detection.

The fire giants might have never had the chance to complete the Vonindod if the fragment just stayed hidden... And now there's a chance at a world destroying mega-mech being constructed because the players helped reclaim some lost mine.
They are responsible for enabling an apocalyptic event.