Din's Desolating Sun
Evocation
Level: 5
Casting time: 1 Action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard
You call forth a small, burning red sun, about a foot in diameter, floating at a point you choose within range (it does not take up a square). This sun releases bright light in a 20-foot-radius sphere, and dim light 20 feet beyond that. The fearsome red light of this spell is not true sunlight, and thus it has no special effect on creatures vulnerable to sunlight.
When a creature enters the 20-foot-radius of bright light for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, that creature must make a Constitution Saving Throw. Those that fail take 6d6 Fire Damage and gain 1 level of Exhaustion; those that succeed take half damage and suffer not Exhaustion. The Exhaustion Levels lasts only as long as the target remains in the bright light and for one turn after leaving it. Creatures immune to Fire Damage or environmental heat are unaffected do not suffer Exhaustion from this spell.
On each of your turns after you cast this spell, you can use an Action to move the sun 60 feet in any direction. While in motion, the sun releases only dim light in a 10-foot radius centered on itself.
If any of this spell’s area overlaps with an area of darkness created by a spell of 5th level or lower, the spell that created the darkness is dispelled.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level used above 5th.

Author's Notes:
I made this spell for my campaign setting, which is set in Hyrule about 100 years after The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I wanted to give my players some options for 5th level elemental magic, since the only Fire spell at that level, Flame Strike, is literally worse than Fireball in every way, in spite of it being two Spell Levels lower. Also, I wanted to make some flavorful magic that fit into the setting, especially since one of our players wants to use Season-themed magic (with a different set of spells for each season).
This spell is similar to Cloudkill and Insect Plague, though it has a slightly lower total damage (36, vs CK and IP's 40). Cloudkill and Insect Plague both Heavily Obscure their area, and Cloudkill moves on its own (though you do not control it) while Insect Plague is also Difficult Terrain. Din's Desolating Sun moves farther and can cause Exhaustion temporarily, but also takes your Action to move it. Overall, I think it's a balanced spell for 5th level. Your input would be much appreciated.

Lord Von Becker
2020-05-13, 12:51 PM
Upcasting should let it illuminate higher-leveled darkness. Other than that, I don't know if it is balanced - Exhaustion is some scary stuff in 5E, and starts with making it more difficult to escape this - but the friendly fire potential balances it somewhat.
(As for Flame Strike, it does have more precision and a somewhat better damage type. But I agree, it's kind of disappointing. I might have it use d8s, putting it on par with Cone of Cold.)

DracoDei
2020-05-14, 06:38 AM
- Exhaustion is some scary stuff in 5E, and starts with making it more difficult to escape this -

Movement speed reduction is at two levels of exhaustion, not one.

Aeriox
2020-05-14, 08:49 AM
It seems pretty balanced. Sickening radiance is probably the closest in terms of damage and effect and is a level lower, but it can’t be moved.

Lord Von Becker
2020-05-14, 03:46 PM
Movement speed reduction is at two levels of exhaustion, not one. True, but I was pretty sure one level gives disadvantage on all saves.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-05-14, 04:34 PM
No, just ability checks. So if you have an immune creature in there grappling, it can get gross.