PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Adventurous Explorer Feat Functionality

PanosIs
2020-05-12, 11:39 AM
Adventurous Explorer is a pretty obscure feat from Dragon Magazine #315.

I would like your opinions on how you think this works.

Benefit: When you ready an action in combat, you can choose to take that action at any time, not just when the condition you specify occurs. (In effect, this allows you to take a move action and then delay your remaining action.)

Traditionally, readied actions can interrupt the condition they are readied against. For example, if I ready to hit the Wizard when they attempt to cast, I can force a Concentration check.

Delaying, on the other hand, cannot interrupt actions, your turn must be taken between other turns.

So, with this feat can you:
a) Interrupt any action with your readied action.

b) Interrupt the action of the condition you specify, or take your action between turns otherwise.

c) Lose the ability to interrupt entirely. Your action may be taken at any time between other turns.

Thoughts?

Kayblis
2020-05-12, 02:01 PM
As the text specifies only a rules change, the whole rest should be kept intact. This means you can interrupt any action until the end of the round, or just do your readied action whenever you want.

Do note that this doesn't allow you to change your readied action. If you ready a melee attack on a specific enemy, you still need to attack that specific enemy. If you ready to counterspell, you still need to counterspell. The fact that you need to specify your action doesn't change, so this is not a free delay with interruptions.

EDIT:
Other examples
Readied action: "I'll attack anyone that comes close to me". With the feat, you can hold that attack until the end of the round, and can choose to attack anyone you can normally attack(usually melee). This is useful for Manyshot archers, because if some creature starts casting a spell, you can shoot a burst at him so he loses his spell, instead of shooting at someone that approaches you.

Readied action: "I'll counterspell". You can counterspell any spell in the round, but your action will have to be a counterspell if you call it so. If you instead ready an action to cast Dispel Magic, you can use it either as a counterspell or as a dispelling debuffer if no spells are cast. It's a gain in utility for not acting early.

Readied action: "I'll pull the drawbridge lever when everyone crosses the gate". You can pull the lever whenever you want, possibly clutching a more favorable result, like sending enemies falling to their deaths as the drawbridge closes. You can't do anything other than pulling the drawbridge lever though.

This feat favors general readied actions instead of specific, which is not a bad thing. As a DM, you need to enforce the readied action rules for this to make any sense.