PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 5th Edition: Starting With A Mount

chaosgirl
2020-05-12, 01:31 PM
Hey all,

Very quick question, Im starting a 5th Edition game on Saturday, and I haven't really played before, nor has most of the group.

The type of character I would REALLY like to start with is a Knight in Shining Armour type.

Is there anyway to start with a mount at first level?

Any classes or feats, or something else entirely?

Thanks

stoutstien
2020-05-12, 01:33 PM
Well maybe not exactly what you're looking for but the guild merchant background will get you a cart and a mule

chaosgirl
2020-05-12, 01:50 PM
Not quite what I was looking for, but I can work my way up :)

nickl_2000
2020-05-12, 01:52 PM
Seems like a Draft Horse could be part of your background equipment on a custom background. It's a little expensive, but not horrible.

Segev
2020-05-12, 02:28 PM
Mastiffs aren’t too expensive. Could squeeze one in with starting gold. Can ride if you’re small.

CheddarChampion
2020-05-12, 02:36 PM
If you roll for money instead of taking the starting equipment you might be able to spare 75 gp for a riding horse. Maybe.
I'd ask your DM if you can take the Knight background and instead of getting two retainers get a riding horse or war horse.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-12, 02:37 PM
The easiest way to get a mount soon is probably to be small. A small ranger for instance can be mounted as soon as the beastmaster archetype kicks in at level 3.

non-class feature mounts are a little worse, depending on how your DM handles them, (especially if you can't pay for a military saddle yet) but here again it helps because you could properly ride a donkey/mule (this seems to be the cheapest option, you can buy one even from the money you get with most backgrounds) or a dog if you are small. There is the draft horse or camel for a medium creature, but at 50gp they're a bit harder to justify.

There is however one option I know that will let you start with a mount that never gets stolen, never gets in the way and always obeys your every command, even though it's not what you had in mind for this character. Unearthed Arcana present: centaurs (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/centaurs-and-minotaurs).

da newt
2020-05-12, 02:45 PM
Small Race and a MULE is very cost effective. (8gp - mule, 2 gp - bridle and bit, 20 gp - military saddle, 5 cp - daily feed) At that price, I'd recommend grabbing a 2nd mule for hauling stuff and to have a spare when your mount gets killed in combat.

Considering a shortbow is 25 gp, a mule is a hell of a bargain.

TigerT20
2020-05-12, 02:57 PM
A more wacky idea: for certain classes, using the Starting Wealth By Class table, you can possibly get 200 gp to start - enough to buy an elephant.

You'll have to borrow everything else for your party members, but hey - you've got an elephant

The starting wealth by class table generally gives you more money than you need anyway, so some mounts aren't unreasonable unless you really want super expensive armour

MaxWilson
2020-05-12, 03:00 PM
Also consider starting the game at a point where you have just given away your horse to an old beggar woman with eighteen starving children (or so she claimed) and are in need of a new one, as soon as you come into some funds.

P. G. Macer
2020-05-12, 03:05 PM
This is luck-based, but if your DM uses Xanathar’s Guide to Everything’s “This is your life” backstory generator, one of the Boon Life Event possibilities is “You find a riding horse”. But if my math is right, there’s a 1% chance of rolling that per Life Event (10/100 for rolling a boon, and 1/10 for the horse itself).

clash
2020-05-12, 04:05 PM
Play a lore bard. Take animal friendship and speak with animals at level one and attempt to befriend an animal and convince you to ride it.

At level 6 poach find steed and at level 10 poach find greater steed.

nickl_2000
2020-05-13, 06:43 AM
Play a lore bard. Take animal friendship and speak with animals at level one and attempt to befriend an animal and convince you to ride it.

At level 6 poach find steed and at level 10 poach find greater steed.

Other than a Lore Bard really doesn't fit into the concept of a Knight in Shining Armor, considering that they only get light armor and no shields. You would be better off as a Druid and convincing your DM to allow you to ignore the no metal armor restrictions if you are going this route. Or valor bard would be fine too.

Aaron Underhand
2020-05-13, 07:32 AM
You would be better off as a Druid and convincing your DM to allow you to ignore the no metal armor restrictions i....

Or be the horse!

Sparky McDibben
2020-05-13, 07:34 AM
Just ask your DM. I probably wouldn't let you start with a full warhorse, but maybe you've got a skin-and-bones nag who uses riding horse stats. Maybe it's a hand-me-down from your father, uncle or brother as you left to go adventuring.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-13, 07:39 AM
Or be the horse!

You could team up with another druid and take turns being the rider.

Chronos
2020-05-13, 07:39 AM
While you might be able to squeeze the pennies until you can afford a mount, you're certainly not going to be able to get both that and your Shining Armor at first level.

I'd just advise patience. Money comes quickly to adventurers, and you'll very quickly get to the point where you can buy everything that's for sale.

Tanarii
2020-05-13, 07:43 AM
Start as a squire to a Knight in Shining Armor. Work your way into the concept. Not all concepts are appropriate for a level 1 character.

Samayu
2020-05-13, 09:08 PM
Steal one?

And then work on shining up that tarnished armor.

Tvtyrant
2020-05-13, 09:19 PM
The easiest way to get a mount soon is probably to be small. A small ranger for instance can be mounted as soon as the beastmaster archetype kicks in at level 3.

non-class feature mounts are a little worse, depending on how your DM handles them, (especially if you can't pay for a military saddle yet) but here again it helps because you could properly ride a donkey/mule (this seems to be the cheapest option, you can buy one even from the money you get with most backgrounds) or a dog if you are small. There is the draft horse or camel for a medium creature, but at 50gp they're a bit harder to justify.

There is however one option I know that will let you start with a mount that never gets stolen, never gets in the way and always obeys your every command, even though it's not what you had in mind for this character. Unearthed Arcana present: centaurs (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/centaurs-and-minotaurs).

So a Rogue Minotaur can dash and then horn every round using their bonus action and reaction. That is pretty cool to be honest.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-14, 05:05 AM
This is one of those topics where you hope that at some point the OP returns because while there is no clear difinitive way to do what they asked everyone just donated so many nice ideas approaching the dilemma from different angles.

So a Rogue Minotaur can dash and then horn every round using their bonus action and reaction. That is pretty cool to be honest.

Yeah, the minotaur in that document is pretty cool as well. I only came across it recently and now I'm half hoping my current character dies at some point so I can play an unarmed minotaur valor bard tank/battlefield controller. I bet it sucks in practice, but I really enjoy the idea of it. Also, despite having this avatar for years I've yet to play a minotaur.

(Also, just to clarify because I think we might be reading it differently: the way I understand it any minotaur can dash and then horn, the dash is the action and the horn the bonus action. A rogue could do it the other way around, because they can always use dash as a bonus action. But they can't use their regular action for something else and then use dash and horn on top of that because both take up the bonus action, not the reaction.)

Contrast
2020-05-14, 05:39 AM
Fair warning - don't make riding a mount an integral part of your character unless you're prepared to have the mount die. A lot.

Paladins make the best knight in shining amrour class both for fluff reasons and as they cast cast Find Steed (though not until 5th level) which gives you a mount that can come back when it dies and avoids awkward situations where you may have to abandon your mount somewhere as you can simply resummon it (also avoiding the 'wait, where did I leave my horse' moment).

The Mounted Combatant feat improves mounted combat but I would wait on picking it up. If a lot of combats take place inside or generally in areas where you can't fit a horse you may regret taking it. Being a small character riding a mastiff helps this as its much more feasible for it to fit everywhere and less likely you'll have to abandon it when you need to climb a cliff or something.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-14, 07:03 AM
Being a small character riding a mastiff helps this as its much more feasible for it to fit everywhere and less likely you'll have to abandon it when you need to climb a cliff or something.

Or if you're entering a dungeon and you decided to write a bunch of fun nonsense on your giant dodo (homebrew) animal companion's character sheet about how "Hey, talking spell! I liking talking spell. I not liking going underground, better above ground" and your DM actually read it.

On the plus side, if that gnome ranger had died to that mummy I would have still had a giant dodo to keep playing with.

On the plusser side, totally awesome that he used my background to impact the story like that.

Segev
2020-05-14, 09:46 AM
Start as a squire to a Knight in Shining Armor. Work your way into the concept. Not all concepts are appropriate for a level 1 character.

How is your squire going on adventures without his (higher level by implication of "wouldn't be appropriate for a level 1 character") knight? Alternatively, how is the DM and/or the party taking you having an appropriately-high-level NPC taking the lead and bossing them around since he's experienced and powerful and a noble and your party is...not?

clash
2020-05-14, 09:53 AM
How is your squire going on adventures without his (higher level by implication of "wouldn't be appropriate for a level 1 character") knight? Alternatively, how is the DM and/or the party taking you having an appropriately-high-level NPC taking the lead and bossing them around since he's experienced and powerful and a noble and your party is...not?

It also doesnt have to be a squire. In some fantasy fiction there is ranks of knighthood that knights need to earn. Rank one would be the sword, which is where a level 1 paladin would start. Rank 2 would be spurs, which is when the knight gets their mount. That would be a level 5 paladin in d&d. I'll agree though that it does feel unsatisfying that you cant have a mount at level 1.

Segev
2020-05-14, 10:12 AM
It also doesnt have to be a squire. In some fantasy fiction there is ranks of knighthood that knights need to earn. Rank one would be the sword, which is where a level 1 paladin would start. Rank 2 would be spurs, which is when the knight gets their mount. That would be a level 5 paladin in d&d. I'll agree though that it does feel unsatisfying that you cant have a mount at level 1.

That's an answer, but my question still stands when the response to, "How can I play this?" is, "Play this, instead." Your answer had better actually solve the problem without raising newer, bigger ones. "I'm somebody else's Cohort, so an NPC with Leadership is joining our 1st level party so I can be there," is problematic. :smalltongue: And "play someone's squire" suggests that.

If you want to say, instead, "Play an apprentice knight, who hasn't yet earned his spurs, and work your way up to it," that's one thing. That isn't what was said, however, nor was it even truly implied. "Squire" has very specific connotations, especially when mentioned as "to a Knight in Shining Armor."

I was taking his answer both seriously and literally, because I didn't see a figurative way to interpret it that wouldn't be essentially a completely different concept (which your proposal is, in effect).

DrKerosene
2020-05-14, 10:19 AM
Other than a Lore Bard really doesn't fit into the concept of a Knight in Shining Armor, considering that they only get light armor and no shields. You would be better off as a Druid and convincing your DM to allow you to ignore the no metal armor restrictions if you are going this route. Or valor bard would be fine too.

You could be a Mountain Dwarf who gets proficiency with Medium Armor, be a Variant Human who takes the relevant feat for Medium Armor, or start out with a level of Fighter or Paladin.

I think Lore Bard just means that you can take the level 6 Magical Secret to know Find Steed and Conjure Animals for a bunch of mounts.

Since any Bard should be able to cast Charm Animal, being a Valor Bard should be an option.

Using Bardic Inspiration or Cutting Words to mimic the Leadership ability of the CR3 Knight’s Leadership.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-14, 10:46 AM

He's sent out as a messenger, because the knight sent a regular servant first and an experienced sergeant second and neither returned. "See it as your chance to impress me." It turns out there's more to the disappearances than meets the eye, and two levels of adventuring later the squire has earned his knighthood.

If you want to say, instead, "Play an apprentice knight, who hasn't yet earned his spurs, and work your way up to it," that's one thing. That isn't what was said, however, nor was it even truly implied. "Squire" has very specific connotations, especially when mentioned as "to a Knight in Shining Armor."

As I know the term squire (assuming it is indeed the correct and only English equivalent of the Dutch "schildknaap") pretty much means apprentice knight. It's a nobleman between roughly the ages of 14 and 21 working at a court learning to be a knight. One of their duties is accompanying their master in battle, bearing their shield and having their back. But is that really all there was to it for the many centuries that the title squire must have been a thing? I mean, if that is the only thing a squire can ever do in any real world setting then I don't feel like that is well known enough to have to be the rule in fantasy as well.

Alternatively, be the squire/apprentice/whatever to a dead knight. Left for dead after an ambush, out for revenge.

Tanarii
2020-05-14, 11:09 AM
I fail to see the problem with either of these scenarios. :smallamused:

Or just be ab ex-squire. Whichever's clever.

The primary point is D&D is a zero to hero progression. Or more recently semi-skilled mercenary/squire to Demi-god. But you don't start at full fledged Hero. Even the PHB is pretty clear on this, calling level 1-4 characters "apprentice adventurers".

Or to turn your question around: how is an apprentice adventurer starting off as a full on knight in shining armor? The default rules intentionally don't allow for that concept. It's like wanting to start off as an archmage. The answer is "persuade your DM to start the campaign at a higher level".

Segev
2020-05-14, 11:27 AM
I fail to see the problem with either of these scenarios. :smallamused:

Or just be ab ex-squire. Whichever's clever.

The primary point is D&D is a zero to hero progression. Or more recently semi-skilled mercenary/squire to Demi-god. But you don't start at full fledged Hero. Even the PHB is pretty clear on this, calling level 1-4 characters "apprentice adventurers".That's fair.

Or to turn your question around: how is an apprentice adventurer starting off as a full on knight in shining armor? The default rules intentionally don't allow for that concept. It's like wanting to start off as an archmage. The answer is "persuade your DM to start the campaign at a higher level".

Sometimes, part of the chargen game is seeing if you can pull these things off. Especially when the concept more comes from equipment than from level-based abilities.

Tvtyrant
2020-05-14, 11:45 AM
Yeah, the minotaur in that document is pretty cool as well. I only came across it recently and now I'm half hoping my current character dies at some point so I can play an unarmed minotaur valor bard tank/battlefield controller. I bet it sucks in practice, but I really enjoy the idea of it. Also, despite having this avatar for years I've yet to play a minotaur.

(Also, just to clarify because I think we might be reading it differently: the way I understand it any minotaur can dash and then horn, the dash is the action and the horn the bonus action. A rogue could do it the other way around, because they can always use dash as a bonus action. But they can't use their regular action for something else and then use dash and horn on top of that because both take up the bonus action, not the reaction.)

You are correct. Hammering Horns was the one that used your reaction, not Goring Rush. Welp, axes that whole build.

Tanarii
2020-05-14, 02:14 PM
Sometimes, part of the chargen game is seeing if you can pull these things off. Especially when the concept more comes from equipment than from level-based abilities.
In that case its probably:
- roll for money and hope you get enough for a riding horse, chainmail, longsword and shield. (Is that possible to roll high enough? Afb.)
- sell starting equipment and rebuy what you want, assuimg no DM objections. I believe AL allows that.
- DM fiat of some kind. Ask if you can start with a debt hanging over your head?

chaosgirl
2020-05-14, 02:59 PM
Also consider starting the game at a point where you have just given away your horse to an old beggar woman with eighteen starving children (or so she claimed) and are in need of a new one, as soon as you come into some funds.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try some of the suggestions that were given about slightly altering some rules out, to see if the DM is cool with it, if not Tha twil be my IC reasion for whats going on.

The DM has decided that the first level is basically "Ok, your time learning the basics of your class is done, now tis time to start to apply what you learned"

And for those who have pointed out the "You have to work your way up to the good gear" point, that is a very fair reminder, and Im happy to start with a Mule and Armour in Drastic Need of Repair

Was just wondering if the option was there