PDA

View Full Version : Alter Self: Monstrous Humanoid

Yogibear41
2020-05-12, 11:46 PM
Looking for any good suggestions for Monstrous Humanoid forms to take with Alter Self.

Plan on using the Gargoyle for flight capabilities (unless I find something better)

Looking for suggestions on other forms that would be nifty to take.

EDIT: I'm using a small race(feral goblin) with bard casting so If that changes the forms, I would really like a Small race with flight, so I can keep my armor/other size appropriate equipment when I use alter self.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-05-13, 01:42 AM
Hmm, many of the Anthropomorphic Animals (Savage Species) are fantastic. Wolverine/Badger for Rage, Viper for poison, Bat for flight and blindsense, (Giant) Octopus/Giant Squid for tons of natural attacks and grappling, Wolf for tripping.... Since most if not all of what changes from regular animal to anthropomorphic doesn't matter for alter self, you could arguably extrapolate to get the qualities of any animal, but even the listed ones are a hugely versatile resource.

Marralurks (Sandstorm) are Monstrous Humanoids, right? That gives you some free Sneak Attack.

Hags and Sahuagin are also monstrous humanoids.

That's all I got.

Thurbane
2020-05-13, 02:47 AM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=6956452&postcount=1

Movement: centaur (50 ft), gargoyle (fly 60 ft), sahuagin (swim 60ft), armand (burrow 10 ft), boggle (cimb 30 ft), ophidian (climb 15 ft & swim 50 ft)

Natural Armor: yak folk (+7), khaasta (+6), blackscale lizardfolk (+7), sahuagin (+5)

Natural Attacks: gargoyle (2 claws, bite & gore), centaur (2 hooves), blackscale lizardfolk (2 claws & bite)

Large Size: centaur, blackscale lizardfolk, equiceph, yak folk

Bonus Feats: grimlock (track), sahuagin (multiattack), yuan-ti pureblood (alertness, blind fight), equiceph (endurance), thri-kreen (deflect arrows), whitespawn hordeling & greenspawn sneak (two weapon fighting)

Skill Bonuses: greenspawn sneak (+5 hide, bluff, move silently), boggle (+10 escape artist), ophidian (+8 climb, +10 hide in forest & undeground)

The Viscount
2020-05-13, 10:00 AM
Thri-kreen's a solid race to pick, and that racial jump bonus is perfect for Tiger Claw maneuvers.

Groundling from Monsters of Faerun has a respectable 30 ft burrow speed.

The Kir-lanan Gargoyle from Forgotten Realms Campaign setting has an outstanding 90 ft (good) fly speed.