PDA

View Full Version : The Silent Perfection (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-13, 05:51 AM
The current OOC thread can be found here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?612167-The-Silent-Perfection-(OOC)).

CHAPTER 1 - The Lighthouse

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/1c/88/bc1c88a287e1388d84a170fd2a0f0388.jpg

The sky is so overcast only the faintest ring of the sun can be perceived. It is almost like those missing edges of your own sun back in R'Arathis. A half-mile across the waters a mountainous wall of razor-sharp peaks like sharks' teeth fade into the distance. Upon the nearest three's summits are humanoid statues of cyclopean scale. One welcomes, one waves farewell, and the furthest bares only a dispassionate glare.

Each of you have hauled yourselves either from the crashing sea or a nearby tide pool. The rocky island on which you stand climbs from the surf and first appears gouged by tiny fissures. Upon closer inspection, they are alien runes so old some have been worn nearly smooth by time.

A thin, clear path of carved steps leads up the slope of the island to the lighthouse at the top. It was carved from the very rock itself, for though it is salt and algae encrusted by many ages, it is still seamless. The ghostly light which beckoned you here shines from a bonfire at its pinnacle. Otherwise it is deathly dark and quiet.

Beside each other and the tangle of dark green seaweed washed ashore by the waves, no signs of life exist but a worn and stained plinth halfway up the steps to the lighthouse; whatever it once held is long gone. But at its base are scattered bleached skulls, and they belong to the freshly dead.

Though each heavily curtained, the two of you can just make out the subtle orange light of a fire in the windows of the lighthouse's fourth floor.

Bobthewizard
2020-05-13, 08:01 AM
Miko (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2200841)

After catching her breath and gathering her equipment, Miko checks on her companions "Praz, Trix, are you both ok? Any idea where we are?"

She sees the other group, grasps her belaying pin to defend herself if needed, but then thinks she recognizes one of the others. "Prince Valin? Is that you?"

Upon getting his attention, she bows formally and introduces herself. "My name is Miko Daiton. I was a prisoner of Rulk when you reclaimed the northwestern territories for Alambar. I remember watching you in the victory ceremonies right after I was freed. I would have never thought I would see the likes of you here, but it is an honor. I am at your service. Please meet my companions, the heroes Prax Wavechaser and Trix do'Vilchkov, without whom I wouldn't be alive today. It appears I owe a great debt to many people here today."

Kvard51
2020-05-13, 10:15 AM
Valin (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2200886)

Valin stares up at the lighthouse, vaguely aware that others are clambering out of the surf down the beach from himself and the dwarven magister. We have come to the source of the light. I wonder what horrors we may soon discover... He is startled out of his reverie by someone calling his name. He turns to look, seeing a young woman bowing at the waist. He dips his head in return, wondering how she knows him... Ahh, the Rulkan slave pits...

"It is my pleasure, Miko. And also to your companions. My traveling partner here is Thogran, a dwarf of House Aeducan in Alambar." He looks at he intently for a time before adding, "Now, may I ask what brings you and Prax and Trix to these barren shores that Thogran and I have labored so long to find?"

WhismurWanders
2020-05-13, 01:38 PM
Thogran is suprised that other people made it across the ocean to come to this exact spot, but he minds his manners as the prince introduces him. "A pleasure to meet an acquaintance of Prince Valin's. Though I must correct him in one matter, I am merely employed by House Aeducan, my lineage lies with clan Rumnaheim." A common mistake, but Thogran was rarely eager to pose as a noble himself. He wrings a last bit of sea-water from his beard before looking around their surroundings, instantly drawn to the presence of mysterious runes. Not wanting to waste any time, he reaches for his component pouch and begins the ritual needed to understand them.

Ritual Casting Comprehend Languages

Esprit15
2020-05-13, 05:31 PM
Trix blinks as the water of another wave recedes around her. Had she been knocked out? She must have been, her last memories were of being on the ship and then... That would explain the headache. She coughs, salt and water coming up. A voice says her name. That was... Miko? Yeah, Miko. It was her ship, right? Trix's hands run back and forth. Legs, torso, ears, no gaping wounds, bag... She was good. The chieftain sits up, looking around. Grey everywhere, like it was just about to storm. Statues standing ominously in the distance. Had she ever seen carvings that massive before? Maybe the dragon, but even then, their workmanship was crude at best.

Right, Miko. "Not dead... And not sure." As more voices ask questions, she looks around. Seems another group had come here, for what could only be similar reasons. "Omen from one of our village's seers. I assume the same reason that brings you here." Her eyes wander up to the lighthouse, locking not on the flame atop it, but the much smaller one in the window. Instinctively, she pulls her axe and shield from her bag, readying the latter. "We're not alone."

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-14, 03:20 AM
After activating your spell you discover the runes are not typical writings but the sigilwork which would accompany some ritual of considerable scope. With your knowledge, you detect features of elemental fire and planar binding. Looking at how the runes stretch along the rocky shore, it's almost like some massive magic circle pointed inward towards the lighthouse at the island's apex.

Kvard51
2020-05-14, 04:58 PM
"We're not alone."

Valin follows Trix' gaze to the lighthouse window. He draws his blade, but does not ignite it and begins walking up the trail. "Come Magi. I think it time to see what draws us all here."

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-14, 05:33 PM
You gain Inspiration.
The party gathers together, exchanging their shocked greetings, and allowing Thogran the time to make sure they did not stand in the midst of some arcane minefield. All the while Trix notices nothing change about the faint light in the tower's fourth-floor windows.

You all take the wind-worn steps up to the lighthouse. Along the pathway, you pass the plinth. Up close it is clearly not of the same ancient age as the lighthouse itself, though clearly still centuries old. Valin and Marie effortlessly identify the fresh skulls as belonging to orcs. The plinth is decorated with a strange script.

If there ever was a door to the entrance of the lighthouse it is long since gone. Inside, the sickly light of day illuminates a round chamber ringed with narrow alcoves, save for where ascending stairs hug the wall to the next level above. Fourteen alcoves hold desiccated corpses, any wrappings or cloths long since disintegrated. Four piles of dust scattered throughout the chamber could be the crumbled remains of more of these corpses. At the center of the room is a small pool filled with a mirror-like liquid.

With your comprehend languages still running, you read the plinth which repeats the phrase, "Display your offering to the Pearlholders and be cleansed of your affliction."

Roll an Intelligence (History) check, please.

WhismurWanders
2020-05-14, 05:41 PM
Thogran ***** his head inquisitively and reads aloud, "Display your offering to the Pearlholders and be cleansed of your affliction. Hmm ... perhaps a way to be rid of the visions, but I'm not quite sure." The dwarf strokes his beard in thought as he thinks over all the books he has read.

[roll0]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-14, 05:52 PM
Your long study of Z'Palno before the journey is already paying off! Orcs are native to R'Arathis and had never seen this mythical land. These fresh skulls should not be here.

Esprit15
2020-05-14, 06:09 PM
As the light doesn't change, Trix's unease only heightens. This whole area felt like... not just death, but decay - death so old that it was like a forest is to a field. Trix goes to examine one of the dust piles. Perhaps some sort of clue was burried in them.
History:

Also, Investigation? [roll]1d20+

Bobthewizard
2020-05-14, 06:56 PM

She keeps a tight hold on her pin as a cold chill goes through her. She doesn't like this area at all. "I've seen piles of bones rise up and attack. Let's keep moving."

While the others investigate, she keeps an eye out for danger, both from the bones and from anything that may surprise them from elsewhere.

Perception: [roll0]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-14, 07:32 PM
Either by the lore passed down through the mountain tribes or the countless tales you collected on your adventures you know Orcs are native to R'Arathis, and had never seen this mythical land. These fresh skulls should not be here.
Outside, Miko witnesses no movement among the rocks but that of the wind, and hears nothing but her companions and the crashing of the waves.

Trix's investigation of the first dust mound turns up a partial skull, its orbital sockets quite bare. But even at the hint of her touch it too collapses into a fine gray powder. Then, she and everyone else gazing into the chamber watches the dry and papery thin eyelids of the remaining fourteen corpses in the alcoves open. Their eyes wet and alive, and they each fall upon Trix with an unblinking gaze, yet the corpses themselves remain still as statues.

Starbin
2020-05-14, 07:38 PM
Praz Wavechaser (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2204737) Minotaur Hunter

The huge bull-man rose fro the surf, brushing away the sand and seaweed as he did so. He nodded to the two companions he recognized as he took stock of the area. To Miko’s question, he shrugged. ”It’s no place I’ve been to, unless my memory is as weak as your kaf.” Chuckling at his home, he quieted with a slight frown as his stomach grumbles - May e he shouldn’t have mentioned any kaf ... he was likely a long way from any such amenities.

Stretching, he noddd a greeting to the others, blushing slightly at Miko’s introduction. “No hero ... just a sailor. So you lot also came hunting the light? Strange things are certainly a-hoof in this circular bay.“ At the comment of not being alone, he glanced up at the upper floor and stroked his chin. Glancing between that and the main beam of the lighthouse, he shook his head. ”We’ll, neither of those were what brought us here, unless that gets much brighter. Shall we see who’s home?

Praz fell back to the rear guard position when Valin took the lead. As they ascended, he left his blade sheathed for now, wanting his hands free. However, when the entered the base of the lighthouse, he pulled his enormous blade free and raised a hand. “I think I should go first - easier target and all.” Smiling, Praz entered the area and began to cast about for signs of threats or clues.

Seeing the desiccated bodies, Praz looked to the others and remarked, “Well, if we follow these pout souls, at least we won’t make a bloody mess! This reminds me, Trixie, did I ever tell you about the time we fought a cloud of giant skeeters?”

HPs: 68 AC: 17 Initiative +3, Pass Dex: 16
Str +7 Dex +5 Con +2 Int -1 Wis +3 Cha +0 / Move 30’
Athletics +7; Stealth +5; Nature +1; Perception +6; Stealth +6
Equipment: greatsword (+7, 2d6S)
Effects: n/a

WhismurWanders
2020-05-14, 08:06 PM
"Odd that these skulls are even here. Perhaps we weren't the only ones to have gained the insight that this is the place which could save us from certain doom." The dwarf kneels down to investigate one of the skulls in an attempt to judge how long the skull has been here.

Medicine:[roll0]

Esprit15
2020-05-14, 08:20 PM
Praz Wavechaser (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2204737) Minotaur Hunter

The huge bull-man rose fro the surf, brushing away the sand and seaweed as he did so. He nodded to the two companions he recognized as he took stock of the area. To Miko’s question, he shrugged. ”It’s no place I’ve been to, unless my memory is as weak as your kaf.” Chuckling at his home, he quieted with a slight frown as his stomach grumbles - May e he shouldn’t have mentioned any kaf ... he was likely a long way from any such amenities.

Stretching, he noddd a greeting to the others, blushing slightly at Miko’s introduction. “No hero ... just a sailor. So you lot also came hunting the light? Strange things are certainly a-hoof in this circular bay.“ At the comment of not being alone, he glanced up at the upper floor and stroked his chin. Glancing between that and the main beam of the lighthouse, he shook his head. ”We’ll, neither of those were what brought us here, unless that gets much brighter. Shall we see who’s home?

Praz fell back to the rear guard position when Valin took the lead. As they ascended, he left his blade sheathed for now, wanting his hands free. However, when the entered the base of the lighthouse, he pulled his enormous blade free and raised a hand. “I think I should go first - easier target and all.” Smiling, Praz entered the area and began to cast about for signs of threats or clues.

Seeing the desiccated bodies, Praz looked to the others and remarked, “Well, if we follow these pout souls, at least we won’t make a bloody mess! This reminds me, Trixie, did I ever tell you about the time we fought a cloud of giant skeeters?”

"Not to my knowledge, no. Just how giant is giant?"

Either by the lore passed down through the mountain tribes or the countless tales you collected on your adventures you know Orcs are native to R'Arathis, and had never seen this mythical land. These fresh skulls should not be here.
Outside, Miko witnesses no movement among the rocks but that of the wind, and hears nothing but her companions and the crashing of the waves.

Trix's investigation of the first dust mound turns up a partial skull, its orbital sockets quite bare. But even at the hint of her touch it too collapses into a fine gray powder. Then, she and everyone else gazing into the chamber watches the dry and papery thin eyelids of the remaining fourteen corpses in the alcoves open. Their eyes wet and alive, and they each fall upon Trix with an unblinking gaze, yet the corpses themselves remain still as statues.
As the skull crumbles into dust, Trix frowns. "What were orcs doing out -" and that's when the eyes open.

Slowly lifting her hands away from the skull, she looks back in the direction of the eyes. "I think we found our hosts."

Kalashak
2020-05-14, 08:24 PM
The disorienting effects of the faerie lake leave Marie incapable of much beyond mutely following the group, but the sight of orc skulls snaps her out of her stupor. "Even at the edge of the world we can't escape them." She kneels to see if she can find a sign of whoever left the skulls. where they went or how many there are.

[roll0]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-15, 03:49 AM
In the weathering of the skulls you can tell each has been placed outside at different times over the last fortnight. And despite the very hard circumstances, you have discerned from the decay of the exposed bone marrow that these orcs died between two and three months ago. Around the time the Silent Perfection began to effect R'Arathis.
In the sand and salt of the rocks around the plinth there are the clear markings of someone with bare human-like feet visiting it.
Upon Praz's entrance into the first-floor chamber of the lighthouse, seven of the fourteen pairs of wet and lively eyes shift to him (though seemingly at random from among the desiccated corpses in the alcoves) while the rest remain on Trix. Still, the corpse-bodies themselves remain still as statues.

Kvard51
2020-05-15, 04:51 AM
”It appears they now await your offerings, my impetuous friends. And, unless I guess wrong, the offering must pass muster or you will soon join the piles of dust on the floor.”. Valin looks on, concern and dark humor warring for control of his face. “Perhaps a saga or a dance number?”

Bobthewizard
2020-05-16, 07:02 AM

Keeping her distance from the corpses watching them, Miko makes her way around and follows Praz into the lighthouse chamber. She has no idea what the offering might be and will leave that to the more intelligent members of the party.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-16, 12:24 PM
Miko enters the chamber behind Praz and as she does so some of the eyes switch to her, keeping the total on Trix, Miko, and Praz roughly even. The corpses themselves are still unmoving.

Valin, Thogran, Marie are together near the wide, door-less entrance to the lighthouse. Miko, Trix, and Praz are between ten and fifteen feet into the first-floor room of the lighthouse. It is roughly thirty-five-feet in diameter with 20+ narrow alcoves set into the walls, of which fourteen have desiccated corpses with living eyes which are now watching the three PCs inside the room. At the far end of the chamber from the entranceway are stairs that ascend to the next level. In the center of the room is a six-foot-wide pool filled with a mirror-like liquid. There are four dust piles scattered about the chamber. The closest being next to Trix around fifteen feet into the room.

Starbin
2020-05-16, 01:58 PM

The minotaur smiled at Trix. ”At least as long as ... as my arm! Mebbe that’s not ‘giant’ where you’re from, but I thought they were huge!. One landed on Harald and ...” Praz trailed off as he stepped into the room and half the corpses turned to look at him. Gripping his blade tighter, he snorted, a small puff of steam emerging from his enormous snout. He watched as several turned to stare at Miko when she entered.
”Careful, girl. I don’t know what’s going on, but I don’t like it. Creepy if you ask me.

Hey Mr. Dwarf, you said give ‘em something. Like what? Or can we just keep going?”

Praz started to move forward, staying halfway between the alcoves and the strange pool.
Not Praz’ cup of tea ... anyone got ideas? Or do we need to research more outside?

Esprit15
2020-05-16, 02:46 PM
Trix looks at the pool, now being far more careful to not touch anything.Investigate: [roll0]
”Praz, watch yourself. If these bodies jump up or something, I need you in top fighting shape.
Give Praz a d10 Combat Inspiration Die. In addition to the standard Bardic Inspiration uses, you can roll that die and add the number rolled to a weapon damage roll you just made. Alternatively, when an attack roll is made against the creature, you can use your reaction to roll the Bardic Inspiration die and add the number rolled to your AC against that attack, after seeing the roll but before knowing whether it hits or misses.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-16, 03:12 PM
As Trix approaches the pool to inspect it, the minotaur advances with her, keeping between her and the nearest alcoves.

Of the pool, Trix garners only that it is an unadorned and sunken basin of unknown depths with a watery, mirror-like liquid which makes it totally opaque. When she peers into the still surface of the pool, her reflection is normal... save for the fact her eye sockets are empty.

WhismurWanders
2020-05-16, 03:30 PM
”Careful, girl. I don’t know what’s going on, but I don’t like it. Creepy if you ask me.

Hey Mr. Dwarf, you said give ‘em something. Like what? Or can we just keep going?”

Thogran is stirred from his musings by the questioning Minotaur. "I'm not quite sure ... yet. It would certainly be unwise to press on. Whatever killed the orcs might see a lack of offering to be a grave insult. One would assume the offering needs to be something valuable, but it's difficult to say what the exact intentions of the original creators were." Thogran adjusts the spectacles resting on his nose as he begins to look around the base of the plinth for any clues. "Perhaps there are some remains of rejected offerings," he muses to himself. He continues to think aloud while working his mental processes through the puzzle. It is a pedestal of some kind, so surely it is looking for a distinct object. Not likely to be some kind of blood sacrifice, or ritual libations. 'Pearlholders' makes me think they're interested in material wealth, though these sorts of rituals often conflate nostalgic or personal worth with the cost of coin..."

Investigation and/or Perception (?) to perhaps put some context clues together. The Eyes of Minute Seeing might be able to find something with closer inspection.
Investigation: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-16, 04:53 PM
With an eye keen for the most minute detail, you note the following: 1.) Beneath the algae coating the top of the plinth, there is the broken base of a thick stone stem fused with the plinth itself. It could maybe have been connected to a small statue at one time, or more likely a bowl. 2.) The orcs skulls, which to anyone else would seem to be scattered at random, are to your eyes forming a crude pattern, not unlike the alien script symbol on the plinth which your comprehend languages tells you means "Offering." 3.) Not only is the plinth much, much younger than the lighthouse tower, but it was constructed by a completely inferior artisan. 4.) Piecing these things together, you have to wonder if the plinth was not a strange attempt to remedy a problem or "affliction." What the nature of that is could be anything, but as to the source... the island is very small and bare save the rune-carved stone of its shore, the plinth, and the lighthouse.

Esprit15
2020-05-16, 06:24 PM
Trix recoils from the pool, looking slightly disturbed by what she saw. She had half a mind to toss the skulls into the pool and be done with it, but somehow that felt like an insult, and it would probably be wiser to let the wizard do his wizard things to figure this out instead.

WhismurWanders
2020-05-17, 04:20 PM
Thogran was puzzled. Every time he examined the plinth, he felt it only distanced him more from whatever theory he had just formulated. Slowly becoming frustrated at his own lack of progress, he posits, "Well, this doesn't fit at all now. The plinth is much younger than the lighthouse. The skulls seem like the key, but I'm still not sure how..." He ponders more, "Perhaps they really do just want our eyes as a sacrifice, but there's also a piece missing. Looks like it was broken off, maybe a statuette or a bowl."

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-17, 06:04 PM
With Thogran's analysis giving no further hints, Trix approaches one of the fourteen corpses in the alcoves and proceeds to remove its head. But the skull proves not so easily sundered from the body, which only jerks slightly from the tribal chieftain's increasingly violent attempts.

Finally after about a minute's work and breathing heavily, she manages to tear the head from the corpse's body. Instantly, the body collapses into the same sort of dust which is found in the four piles scattered about the chamber. The skull also falls to dust and pours through Trix's fingers. All that remains are the lively eyes in her hands, which continue to stare.

Trix takes the eyes and drops them into the mirrored liquid of the pool. The ripples from their impact grow along the surface until the liquid spins into a whirlpool in the basin. At its center, it reveals a narrow tunnel in the basin's stone floor, not quite three-feet-wide, with very steep stairs descending.

In the instant the hole is exposed, a sour wind emerges, and upon it is carried angry, unintelligible whispers which swirl about the room before dissipating to nothing. The remaining thirteen corpses in the alcoves look on dispassionately.

Esprit15
2020-05-17, 06:25 PM
"Hm, didn't expect that to actually work..." Trix looks to the others, wiping the dust off of her hands. Unless someone else takes the lead, she begins to lead the way into the newly revealed passage, before stopping. "I have a feeling like we might want another set of eyes down there." She turns and goes to pull another skull off of one of the scowling skeletons to pocket its eyes. Don't know if you want me to roll athletics for this or just let me take it after another minute of yanking.

[roll0]

Starbin
2020-05-18, 11:00 AM

The minotaur watched in horror as Trix wrestled with a corpse for far longer than one would think necessary. ”Uh, what are you going to do ... oh, uh, well that probably can't ... By the Ring! What in the Seven Hells are ... ” Praz blinked in surprise as the body disintegrated and left the huge woman holding two eyeballs. Frowning, he watched as she tossed them into the strange liquid. Suddenly, a stairway appeared, as a foul blast of air with angry whispers blew out.

Staring at Trix, who seemed intent on getting another set of eyes, Praz turned to the others. ”So I guess that body won't rise up and try to kill us all, so that's good. But is this necessary? We're here for the light, and that wind sounded bad. But if you really want another head, we can cut it off, yes?” Glancing at the two sets of stairs, the minotaur obviously felt more comfortable going up than down, but he wasn't sure what the apparent experts might have to say.
Again, not Praz's bailiwick, but figured I'd voice his perspective

Kalashak
2020-05-18, 10:34 PM
Her tracking skills leaving her with little information, Marie shrugs then stands up and heads into the lighthouse. "Puzzles were never my strong suit, and when thinking fails we can only hope action succeeds." She pauses to take in the scene. "Well, this is wonderfully disturbing. Shall we take the stairs up or the stairs down?"

Esprit15
2020-05-18, 10:39 PM
Her tracking skills leaving her with little information, Marie shrugs then stands up and heads into the lighthouse. "Puzzles were never my strong suit, and when thinking fails we can only hope action succeeds." She pauses to take in the scene. "Well, this is wonderfully disturbing. Shall we take the stairs up or the stairs down?"

"With how many of us there are, *grunt* we could always split up," Trix says as she yanks at the skull of one of the other skeletons. "Half up, half down."

Kvard51
2020-05-19, 10:49 AM
"Since the way is open, we must deal with what is below before we go up. There is only one way out of the upper levels of the tower. There is probably another way out once we have made our way through whatever is down there."

Valin walks into the room, heading toward the stairs down. He draws his sword hilt as he starts down.

Bobthewizard
2020-05-19, 10:52 AM

Miko ws just waiting for someone else to go first. Pausing a couple seconds to make sure Valin doesn't get attacked by magic on his way down, Miko then follows him down the stairs. "Come on everyone, let's stay together."

Starbin
2020-05-19, 10:57 AM

Praz scratched his chin for a moment, staring at the swordsman as he started for the stairs. ”I'm not sure that's true ... we can as easily go up as down. And what's up is what called us all here. We don't know what any of that means ...”

Praz blinked as both Valin and Miko started down the stairs. ”Oh, I ... I guess you've both decided.” He glanced to the others in the room, wondering what their plan was. He could always bring up the rear, in case any of these weird corpses followed them.

But discussion was apparently not an option ...
I appreciate action, but dang. I'm sure there was discussion on Discords, but I can't check that at work, so oh well. Game on, I suppose!

Kalashak
2020-05-19, 07:22 PM
"This seems like a poor time to split the party, and our fellows have already begun their descent.". Marie gives Praz a cheerful pat on the back. "You know what they say, 'What goes down must come up', or something to that effect." Marie draws the hilt of her sword, ready to call the blade forth if needed.

WhismurWanders
2020-05-19, 07:29 PM
Thogran prepares for whatever lies ahead, cheeks flushed with how much he overthought the access to this strange staircase. He follows the group downstairs, eyes wandering over the strange masonry.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-19, 07:59 PM
You have Inspiration.
The party's descent down the steep, narrow tunnel takes longer than it should, the way constantly turning in on itself in a spiral. Despite this, you doubt you're more than twenty feet below the first-floor chamber of the lighthouse.

At the stairs' end, it opens up into a thirty-foot square room of worked stone. You will be entering from the center of the east wall. At the midpoint of each of the other walls, there are five-foot-wide corridors leading off from this new chamber.

The room is bare except for a statue at its center. The figure is of a human man, old with a narrow beard and his face displays a stern dignity. He is sculpted as wearing a robe with a design on the front: a ziggurat, tiny figures on each step worshiping up towards the pinnacle where there is a circle with a four-pointed star inside. The statue is posed as if giving instruction, one hand behind its back with another raised holding up a finger.

The room would be dark if not for the ghostly flame, a smaller version of the bonfire atop the lighthouse. The flame, barely the size of a torch's fire, covers the raised hand of the statue, though it doesn't seem that holding the fire was the original purpose of the statue.

The symbol on the robes of the statue is like an older, more detailed version of the symbol used by your faction the Bond of the Beacon, which was a simpler plain pyramid with the circle and four-pointed star at the top.

Kvard51
2020-05-19, 08:38 PM
"Stay close down here.", Valin says as he calls forth his blade of force. "I can offer protection if you stay within 10feet."

Stepping forward, he takes a long look at the ziggurat symbol. "This is very close to the symbol a group of watchers and warriors in the battle against evil uses on our own continent. Ours is plainer, but it is otherwise the same. Do you see the symmetry there, Thogran? Or am I imagining things?"

WhismurWanders
2020-05-20, 11:02 PM
Thogran nods, adjusting his spectacles to get a better look. "Indeed, good Prince. The resemblance to the Bond of the Beacon is uncanny; it bodes well for us if the statue has been left intact. We may find allies nearby, if not any helpful information on how to combat the very evils going on back home." Thogran reflects on what he knows about the Bond of the Beacon.

History:[roll0]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-21, 01:57 PM
The Bond of the Beacon pursues the destruction of evil and even more so the salvation of those living in terrible conditions. It is an ancient order passed down from the nobility of the Hrakkin Empire, but they lost their way centuries ago adding to the erosion of many of the organization's founding principles. Those who kept the spirit of the Bond moved north into the province of Alambar which is what saved them from the Empire's self-made destruction. To this day they continue albeit discreetly with the ideals passed down through generations.
As a keen student of history, you are aware of legends saying the Bond of the Beacon was brought from mythical Z'Palno. The Bond's followers came to the east looking for something to cure their lands of its terrible despair. When they found it, the beacon would guide them back home. Though seeking a greater good, these original Bondsmen are frequently depicted as ruthlessly efficient.

They never found the cure, and life proceeded in R'Arathis. Bahlehmar Krang was a member of the order, and unsatisfied with his conquest of the known world a thousand years ago, he set out to find the source of the beacon and conquer those lands as well. He and his armies were never seen again. His brother Hrak Krang remained in R'Arathis and oversaw his kingdom which became the Hrakkin Empire which eventually succumbed to decadency and pointless intrigue.

Currently, the more positive aspects of the Bond of the Beacon live on through the nobility of Alambar and their agents.
You are in a room with a statue holding a ghostly flame that burns upon bare stone without any visible source of fuel. There are three hallways (south, west, north) which lead off into darkness. What are you going to do?

Bobthewizard
2020-05-21, 02:05 PM

Miko walks around the room, examining the statue, but mostly looking out for danger, peering down each hallway to see which one might be more enticing. She plans to wait for Thogran to decipher any clues before moving on. He seems to know what he is doing so far. And if he can't figure it out, maybe Trix can just rip something's head off again. That was fun..

Starbin
2020-05-21, 02:11 PM

Praz brought up the rear of the group, grumbling softly as he tried to climb down the stairs without banging his horns or cracking his hooves. As they entered the room, Praz sighed aloud, stretching his hunched frame. It was worse than the stairs going below deck on a ship, but fortunately he wasn't claustrophobic. Gazing around the room, he listened to Valin and Thogran talk about the statue. Walking over, he peered at the figure, looking between his eyes and his hand with the flame. Scratching his chin idly, Praz spoke softly. ”He looks like a school teacher. Who d'you think he is and why is his statue down here?”

Glancing back towards the stairs, he frowned slightly, remembering the foul wind from earlier. Perhaps it was just from being stale and sealed, but still ...

”Hey, why would you need to rip out your eyes to open the way down? That seems ... a bit much, yes?”
I guess a Perception check, perhaps, on the statue? [roll0]
EDIT: ... A nat one? ... hmmm ... "Shiny light ... Praz likey!"

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-21, 02:33 PM
Praz is too distracted by his proximity to the ghostly light to notice much else. This tinier flame is an exact duplicate of that which was contained in the lantern of Captain Stormchaser.

Miko inspects each of the five-foot-wide hallways. The northern one descends at a thirty-degree slope beyond the range of her darkvision. To the west, the corridor goes twenty feet before turning south. But in the southern passage, the former pirate finds but a brief thirty-foot span before it terminates in a plain, metal door.

Esprit15
2020-05-21, 02:34 PM
”When in doubt, a Wizard did it,” Trix says with a shrug. “Who knows, it weren’t for those skeletons, maybe we would have had to pluck someone’s eyes out to get in. Certainly makes the journey that much more arduous to have to disable one of your companions right away.” She hadn’t thought too deeply about it, but it made as much sense as anything else.

Seeing the nerds begin to inspect the statue, Trix looks around at the dark hallways. ”Not sure if we can somehow move that flame, but I don’t think all of us can see in the dark, and I’d still rather have color to my vision. Anyone got a torch I can light?”

Kalashak
2020-05-21, 06:43 PM
"I don't have a torch but..." Marie presses a sun on her sword hilt, and a blade of light springs forth. "I can double the light or make it a bit smaller."

The sun blade emits bright light in a 15-foot radius and dim light for an additional 15 feet.

WhismurWanders
2020-05-21, 10:25 PM
Praz Wavechaser (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2204737) Minotaur HunterGazing around the room, he listened to Valin and Thogran talk about the statue. Walking over, he peered at the figure, looking between his eyes and his hand with the flame. Scratching his chin idly, Praz spoke softly. ”He looks like a school teacher. Who d'you think he is and why is his statue down here?”

"Certainly an important figure, no doubt a senior member of the organization." Thogran looks closer at the statue for an inscription, or any other clues as to the man's identity.

”Hey, why would you need to rip out your eyes to open the way down? That seems ... a bit much, yes?”

"A test of determination, perhaps?" Mere conjecture, to be honest but potentially a fitting theory. Organizations did enjoy their secrets, after all.

History: [roll0]
Investigation: [roll1]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-22, 04:42 PM
Unfortunately, even Thogran cannot fathom who is the subject of the statue. Though he's sure it's an important figure, possibly even the founder of whatever organization built the lighthouse.

Inspecting the statue yields no additional details, but in so doing only you notice the ghostly flame clinging to the upraised hand do something strange: whenever you come close it bends slightly as if stretching out for you. The effect is very subtle but you're sure it happened.

Starbin
2020-05-23, 02:40 PM

Praz nodded at Trix and Thogran’s comments, clearly not convinced but willing to accept their answers for now. Something felt off to the minotaur, and any sailor worth his salt trusted his gut. Perhaps this would resolve itself soon enough. And if not, someone might have to wrestle his huge head off off a mummified body.

Laughing aloud at his own thoughts, Praz turned to the others. ”It seems we can take this corridor that turns, head down ... further from the beacon, or check the door. I’m partial to the door, but do you all have other preferences?”
Somewhat ambivalent... figure we can at least listen at the door. Praz would prefer to not go down, but will follow the others still

Esprit15
2020-05-23, 02:55 PM
"My leaning is to take hallways before doors."

Bobthewizard
2020-05-23, 03:14 PM

Miko shrugs her shoulders. She doesn't care which passage we explore since we don't have any clues as to which might be more profitable or more dangerous. "Maybe as a compromise we should take the western passage and see where it goes. No doors, no descent, as far as I can see. It just turns to the south after a bit."

Kalashak
2020-05-23, 06:50 PM
"One passage is as good as any other, so far as I can tell. We can check the door but if my time in places like this have taught me anything, it'll be locked and we'll need something else down here to open it."

WhismurWanders
2020-05-23, 10:19 PM
Thogran looks up from his inspection of the statue, none the wiser that when he had started. "Wherever we go, I will follow. A door tends to be an end, but hallways can lead to many different things."

Starbin
2020-05-23, 11:33 PM

Praz let out a heavy snort through his snout. ”So two prefer hallways and one fears we will need a key. Sorry Master Thogran, but it seems the western passage wins. Perhaps it will lead to a tunnel chute, or a swirling pit of teeth, for something different!”

Praz moved to stand by the corridor. As the rear guard, he let someone smaller in the shoulders and more agile in the hips than him take the lead.
Hopefully I understood the consensus I thought we reached ...

Kalashak
2020-05-24, 04:48 AM
"I suppose I'm the one with the light." Marie steps into the tunnel first, holding her sword aloft to light the passage.

Bobthewizard
2020-05-24, 05:34 AM

Grateful that someone took the lead, Miko falls in line third, right after Valin. She's not sure about this whole place. It seems too creepy and unnatural to her, but the voice in her dreams told her she had a mission here so she knows she needs to see it through."Let's go quietly. Just in case."

Stealth [roll0]

Perception [roll1]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-25, 04:46 AM
Marie proceeds down the narrow corridor, shining the way with her Sun Blade. Valin follows closely, bolstering her with his shielding aura.

After the turn south, the corridor goes only ten more feet before ending in a small fifteen-foot-wide room. At first, through the half-darkness, Marie's eye catches black figures—little more than silhouettes—huddled in the corner as if in conversation. One of them glances over its shoulder, a featureless face splits open like a flower. Marie thrusts her Sun Blade forward flooding the new small chamber with light and finds it empty, the figures gone.

The angry whispers come again with the sour wind. When it blows past Marie, she instinctively attempts to dodge for though the whispers are soft and the wind mere wind, it carried a spiritual weight that pressed upon her. It's force expelled upon Marie, the meaningless words and foulness swirls past the rest in the hallway and dissipates completely before finding the previous room with the statue.

Meanwhile, as if taking advantage of the momentary confusion, the ghostly flame intones soft words to Thogran. Despite the wind and sudden sense of danger in the corridor, Praz and Trix still witness the flame speaking but cannot gather what is said. And though the wizard knows not the language, he instinctively understands it...

[roll0], and if that hits your AC you will take [roll1] necrotic damage and you will need to make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw (with Valin's Aura of Protection bonus) or your hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken for an unspecified period of time.

"Life in exchange for power: this is flesh sacrifice, pain for knowledge. Take up the flame and know."

Thogran needs to make a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be forced to grab the ghostly flame with his hand.

WhismurWanders
2020-05-25, 11:04 AM
For a brief moment, the dwarf's hands reach out for the flame almost on instinct. A sudden dizziness throws him off though as his mind fights off whatever magic is at work here, and he brings his hand away from the flame, a defensive spell of cold frosting the tips of the fingers on both hands should some unknown assailant show themselves. "Don't touch that cursed flame!" he shouts to the others, hoping that would be enough warning for the others to heed.

Esprit15
2020-05-25, 01:36 PM
”I wasn’t planning on it,” Trix says, looking at Thogran as though he had just said, well, don’t touch fire. She does mentally ready herself for combat, however. “I really wish these ghosts would just fight us, rather than mumble and whisper constantly.”

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-25, 02:13 PM
The party freezes, readied should the foul wind and angry whispers return, but it does not. Marie's Sun Blade shines into the small, dead-end room finding it empty. Even shielding her light to recreate the same soft gloom in which the shadowy figures had been lingering in fails to show anything but the bare stone walls.

Kalashak
2020-05-26, 05:41 PM
Marie walks into the room to look more closely at the corner the shadows huddled in, but doesn't expect to find much. "This passage appears to have be a dead end, any suggestions where to go next?"

[roll0]

Esprit15
2020-05-26, 06:00 PM
”Next passage?” Trix suggests.

Starbin
2020-05-26, 06:48 PM

Still standing in the main room, Praz spins to stare at Thogran, a frown evident on his face. ”A fair warning, Bearded One, but perhaps not something to shout as we scout forward. And another foul wind? This place continues to provide laughs a-plenty.

So we take the passage down now, rather than the door?”

Praz waited patiently, wondering what in the Seven Hells was going on.
Guess it’s onward again

WhismurWanders
2020-05-27, 10:29 AM
Thogran gives the minotaur a quizzical look. "You mean ... you didn't hear that voice? What it was offering? That's why I shouted."

Bobthewizard
2020-05-27, 10:38 AM

"Your choice Praz. Lead the way and we will come with you."

Kvard51
2020-05-30, 01:20 PM
Valin ignites his sword to add more light to Marie's glow. They are also effective at scaring off nuisance creatures that pose no danger, but will certainly slow the parties work. "Choose a hall, Praz. We've failed to find value in any of our own choices so far."

Starbin
2020-05-30, 02:49 PM

Praz shook his head to Thogran’s question. ”Voices? None but from ourselves. Spooky whispers on the wind aside.

As for next, let’s try the door before going lower. Presuming we don’t wish to head upwards.”
Praz wmoved to check for sounds at the door, then open it carefully.
Lets do it! [roll0]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-30, 04:27 PM
Praz takes the southern passage and after a brief thirty feet, he comes upon the metal door. It is dented and old with a makeshift feel to it like it was installed long after the rest of the construction of the lighthouse's underground facility. Listening at the door, the minotaur sailor hears nothing. Praz attempts to open it but finds the door holds firm against him.

There is a sturdy-looking lock/keyhole built into the door above the handle.

Starbin
2020-05-30, 05:39 PM

Praz chuckled, turning somewhat darker. ”Guess Marie was right ... locked and unyielding. I’ll see what I can do ...then we can decide if we want to try and knock it down, or go down. ”

The minotaur pulled out a set of fine tools and began to work at the lock.
Guess we’ll try to pick the lock. Is that’s Dex check? [roll0] Assistance might be worthwhile :smallbiggrin:

LurkytheDwarf
2020-05-31, 10:26 AM
As Praz works at the metal door's lock, it becomes apparent the mechanism is more complicated than its plain exterior would indicate. The minotaur's first attempts at picking the lock meet with failure.

While he is working at the lock though, he does detect a chemical smell coming through, probably from the room beyond: something reminiscent of embalming fluid.

Kvard51
2020-06-02, 10:23 AM
Valin watches the minotaur attempt to open the door. "Perhaps we can try another way? Or does anyone else want to try and open the lock?"

Esprit15
2020-06-02, 09:03 PM
Trix motions Praz to the side, and seems to focus on the door, analyzing it. Sometimes, these jobs required more finesse, someone with a wide range of skills, not to mention an ally to loosen things up for a professional to come in and take all the credit.

Other times, they just needed someone to try to kick the door down, and that was what Trix preferred. The chieftan grabs her axe and begins hacking the magic weapon at the hinges of the door.

Don't know whether you want an attack roll, an athletics roll, or nothing

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-03, 08:19 AM
For a solid minute, the clamor raised by the Chieftain of the Mountain Tribes is very great as she assaults the hinges of the metal door. The rest of the party's senses are heightened, casting their gaze over the various exits from the statue room. But the foul wind does not return, and there are no movements from the stairs from which they descended nor the passage sloping down into the dark. The ghostly flame flickering on the statue's upraised hand, for those which are watching, does vaguely expand and shrink with each of Trix's strikes, as if with anticipation. The hinges give way and the door collapses with a final resounding clatter, then there is quiet once more.

The fallen barricade exposes a strange, grim sight. It appears to be a laboratory with tables and a bookcase filled with tomes. The tables bear thus: 1.) beakers and vials filled with fluids; 2.) the obvious corpse of a human female, her left arm amputated; 3.) a warped, human appendage with bronze talons partially dissected under a sheet of magnifying glass; 4.) many journals and loose sheets of paper filled with sketches and notes.

You have Inspiration.

You know the dead woman upon the table from your days of adventure during your Pyalatzedka. Her name was Mormit Mythe, and she was part of another adventuring group. You recognize her instantly because the warped claw-arm on the other table was hers, acquired from some dungeon's curse.

She was a member of a band called the Arsonists (a name pejoratively given but which they took up and made their own). The Arsonists live up to the worst of the worst reputation for adventurers: spies, assassins, and tomb-robbers. Still, they are considered the premiere adventuring party in R'Arathis.

You have only ever engaged with them during mutual downtime in the same city, and other than having a dark and/or cynical sense of humor, they were a boisterous but not unpleasant company.

WhismurWanders
2020-06-03, 08:58 AM
Thogran peers inside the room once the dust settles and fights two immediate reactions. The first; to inspect the beakers and what appear to be alchemical supplies. The second; to recoil in horror at the sight of the cadaver and its missing arm left out like a preserved insect which hadn't been placed back inside the collector's box. He looks to the warriors of the group and asks meekly, "She's, er, not going to stand up and attack us, is she?"

Starbin
2020-06-03, 09:09 AM

Praz stepped back, curious to see what Trix was going to do. As soon as she pulled out her axe, he just shook his head and chuckled. ”Straight forward and effective ... but remind us not to ask you to sneak ahead. ” He joined the others in checking the room and frowned immediately. His huge snout wrinkled in disgust as he tried to peer around the room, but his eyes kept coming back to the body laying on the table. If she was naked, he would look for something to cover her, using his own cloak if necessary. At Thogran's question, he paused with a quizzical look.

"Uh ... does that happen often where you're from? Unless you think she's just sleeping? Hey miss, wake up!" Praz would prod her gently, suddenly wondering if she was going to move ... alive or dead.
Look around the room ([roll0]), cover the woman up, see if she's still alive somehow.

WhismurWanders
2020-06-03, 09:15 AM
"Uh ... does that happen often where you're from? Unless you think she's just sleeping? Hey miss, wake up!" Praz would prod her gently, suddenly wondering if she was going to move ... alive or dead.

"There's enough strange magic going on around here that I wouldn't be suprised if necromancy were involved as well. Better safe than sorry, right?"

Esprit15
2020-06-03, 10:00 AM
Trix gives a startled response as she sees the corpse, but the look on her face is more a mix of sadness and shock than fear. She walks up to the corpse and strokes the face. ”For some reason I always expected you to die in a fire, Mormit...” she mumbles to herself. “Throgan, you might find those notes more interesting than anything else in here. That arm on the table used to belong to her.”
(OOC: Pausing in case the corpse actually does jump up, but I’m doubtful.)

Kvard51
2020-06-03, 02:53 PM
Valin is shocked to see a corpse so fresh as this. Mummified would not have thrown him, but this was clearly somewhat recent. "Trix, can you see how she died? I'm sorry if you knew her, but we need to learn what we are facing." He looks around at the beakers and journals strewn around the room, "And Thogran, Trix is right. See if you can discern anything from the notes and detritus. The rest of us can search drawers and keep an eye out for visitors."

With that Valin turns and beigns to do a thourough search of any cabinets and drawers, keeping his eyes open for secret compartments.

Perception [roll0]
Advantage roll [roll1]

Esprit15
2020-06-03, 03:58 PM
Valin is shocked to see a corpse so fresh as this. Mummified would not have thrown him, but this was clearly somewhat recent. "Trix, can you see how she died? I'm sorry if you knew her, but we need to learn what we are facing." He looks around at the beakers and journals strewn around the room, "And Thogran, Trix is right. See if you can discern anything from the notes and detritus. The rest of us can search drawers and keep an eye out for visitors."

With that Valin turns and beigns to do a thourough search of any cabinets and drawers, keeping his eyes open for secret compartments.

Perception [roll0]
Advantage roll [roll1]

Trix scoffs. "She wasn't a great person, just someone I ran into a few times. The cursed arm stuck out in my mind, made her easy to remember." She examines the corpse, looking for signs of injury (besides the missing arm).

...would she see some of the other Arsonists dead here?
Medicine: [roll0]

Starbin
2020-06-03, 04:05 PM

Praz watched Trix stroke the woman's face, but she claimed it was someone she ran into a few times. Shrugging to himself, he continued to look around the room, but was uncertain what he was looking for. ”So ... uh ... why would your, um, friend be here? You said she's not a great person, so probably not called by the white light, no?”
Continuing to check

Esprit15
2020-06-03, 04:16 PM

Praz watched Trix stroke the woman's face, but she claimed it was someone she ran into a few times. Shrugging to himself, he continued to look around the room, but was uncertain what he was looking for. ”So ... uh ... why would your, um, friend be here? You said she's not a great person, so probably not called by the white light, no?”
Continuing to check

"You and your friends don't get the name 'the Arsonists' by being good people. They did the usual things that experienced and grey adventurers do - assassins, spies, whatever brings home the money. I have no idea whether she was called or not." She also rummages through Mormit's pockets if there were any. If not, she suggests someone look for her clothes.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-03, 10:11 PM
Each member of the party instantly recognizes the name "Arsonists" as belonging to the premiere adventuring party of R'Arathis, though its individual members may be unknown to you. They have a jaded and underhanded reputation, though universally regarded as highly effective.

As Trix, Praz, Valin, and Thogran file into the laboratory (which is another thirty-foot by thirty-foot stone room), it is apparent that the woman is quite dead. The corpse is emaciated as if from several weeks of malnutrition, and the crook in her neck indicates it was snapped, likely the definitive cause of death. Trix mentions that Mormit once wore magical half-plate and wielded a morningstar, but there is no evidence of either in the chamber. A tray beside the corpse holds clean knives, forceps, and tongs—she was next on the list of things to dissect. Praz covers the body to preserve the stranger's dignity.

Most of what Valin pulls from drawers and cabinets beneath the tables are spare tools and containers similar to what's already arrayed before them. In one though, he discovers a clean and folded, if threadbare, red robe. Unfurled, it bears in a silver thread the same symbol as the statue in the previous room: a ziggurat with tiny figures worshiping up towards a four-pointed star in a circle. Also, on the table of vials and beakers and jars of fluids, there is an ivory ring among the clutter: at first glance, it appears as no great thing but upon closer inspection, it is finely scrimshawed with a skull issuing a word from its mouth in an unfamiliar language.

As Thogran mumbles over the notes in a mix of disgust and awe, Praz and Valin's searching over the room come together near the western wall. They share a look because they both notice the outline of a hidden door.

The papers contain detailed anatomical drawings. The most recent being the dissected, cursed arm of the Arsonist woman on the table. Delving deeper finds whole sheets dedicated to the thorough and definitive examination of orc physiology.

The journals are filled with shorthand notes which your soon-ending comprehend languages spell translates for you. Of the orcs, it describes "These hideous mutants of the eastern continent are both strong of limb and resilient," "The eastern continent must be a grim and inhospitable place," "Elf-fungoid hybrid?" Of the woman, it notes: "While diminutive this female appears as one would expect, save the limb's disfigurement," "The warping effects of the eastern continent? or self-inflicted as a defensive measure?" "Her autopsy will provide more details..."

Among the sketches are a few which cover the armaments of the orcs: shortswords, small round shields, and blackened chainmail. One even outlines a badge that bears the symbol of three stacked triangles pointing downwards: the insignia of the armies of Rulk.

Bobthewizard
2020-06-04, 08:18 AM

Miko helps to explore the room, mostly looking for anything immediately dangerous rather than helping to uncover this great mystery. She knows her strengths are in leadership, deception and survival, not investigation and pouring through books. She will try to keep everyone else alive until they can figure this out.

Starbin
2020-06-04, 02:47 PM

Praz nodded solemnly. He remembered the Arsonists as a different sort of group, and perhaps one not as deserving of their sympathy. 'Live by the horn, die by the horn.' But for now, he kept those thoughts to himself and searched the room. After a moment, he found the outline of a door with Valin. ”It seems there is another door. Shall we open it?”
If the group wishes to open the door, Praz will attempt to do so.

Kalashak
2020-06-04, 05:59 PM
Marie shrugs. "Opening doors has been our most successful tactic so far, why not continue the trend?"

Kvard51
2020-06-04, 09:46 PM
Valin slips the ring in his pouch and the robe in his pack. They might bear further investigation or come in handy as a disguise at some point. He works his way around the room until he and Praz arrive together at the hidden door.

”Be my guest.”, he replies to the minotaur’s question. “I’ll provide the light.”, he says, gesturing to the mechanism.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-04, 10:28 PM
The hidden seams in the wall appear at Praz's urgings and the secret door swings open. Inside this small cluttered chamber stands a second statue, cruder than the last and unfinished. It's upraised hand burns with the ghostly flame just the same, and the instant your gaze falls upon it, the fire burns brighter and emits a high-frequency wail which harmonizes with the that of the first statue and floods the laboratory and hallway between with an unearthly surge which pains your mind and soul.

I will need everyone to make a saving throw (here or in the OOC thread) based on what I roll for each character on the following chart (I'll assume everyone is in range of Valin's Aura of Protection).
Intelligence Save DC 14
Charisma Save DC 14
Wisdom Save DC 14
Wisdom Save DC 14

Valin: [roll0]
Thogran: [roll1]
Marie: [roll2]
Miko: [roll3]
Praz: [roll4]
Trix: [roll5]

Once everybody's saves are out of the way, I'll describe the individual results and give a more detailed description of the chamber.

WhismurWanders
2020-06-05, 10:48 AM
Thogran looks up from the notes he had been reading and prepares to report to the others when the unearthly noise assaults him.

[roll0]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-05, 04:10 PM
Despite the momentary intensity, the party collectively weathers the wail of the ghostly flames. After a span of seconds, both fall quiet and return to pale flickers. During the unpleasantness, there has been no sign of the foul wind and angry whispers.

In the room behind the secret door in the laboratory, there is a new statue. This one is only half-finished; from the waist down, it is still a solid block of stone. The statue bears the likeness of a clean-shaved ascetic with close-cropped hair. He appears to mimic the pose of the previous statue—the one finished hand upraised as if giving instruction and wreathed in the lighthouse's haunting fire. The robes of this statue do not possess the same ziggurat symbol as the last, but perhaps that is being saved for finishing touches.

The floor is covered in crumbled bits of rock and dust. A large, heavy worktable bears chisels, hammers, and sanding tools. Wadded up atop a small refuse barrel is an inky black cloak which at first no one noticed until the light from Valin's Sun Blade fell directly on it.

Unlike the red robe, when you took up the ivory ring it gives the familiar impression of a magic item. Perhaps with time spent in concentration (and attunement), it would reveal its features to you.

Starbin
2020-06-05, 04:23 PM

Praz winced, rubbing his ears a bit to get rid of the ringing. Peering at the statue, he pause for a moment, then grunted, ”Another statue ... I don't know what these are for. If it's supposed to be good, why did it try to hurt us?

Guess we move onward ... unless we should check for more secret doors?"
Guess we have one more corridor in this section, right? Praz is ready to head onward

Kalashak
2020-06-06, 05:16 AM
"My father always said you could find the measure of a man in how he keeps his workspace. What does that say about this sculptor, hiding it away behind false walls and ghosts?" Marie idly looks over the tools, absentmindedly pocketing the smallest hammer and chisel.

WhismurWanders
2020-06-06, 05:50 AM
Thogran inspects the statue, attempting to discern how long ago the work stopped; how much more exposed was the bottom half compared to the top half?

History:[roll0]

Bobthewizard
2020-06-06, 06:47 AM

Miko picks up the cloak to investigate it.

"This looks interesting. Would anyone like to carry it with us?"

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-06, 09:35 AM
Thogran enters and begins going over the chamber. As he does so, Marie inspects the various tools and discovers the smallest hammer and chisel used only for the finer detail work which disappear into her pocket.

Miko picks up the inky black cloak which unfurls in a wave of shadow which to all indicates a magical nature. In a slim pocket inside the cloak, the former pirate discovers two scrolls: one a generic dweomer which anyone could read to produce a random magical effect [As a one time use of a Wand of Wonder] and the other her particular mystical training instantly identifies as a Spell Scroll of Dream.

Intelligence (History) is not quite appropriate here, and the room offers little clues that spark Thogran's memory. But your passive Investigation score gives you the impression that this statue-carving process is still ongoing to this day, with fresh bare-footed humanoid tracks in the dust across the ground and the tools relatively clean.
As Miko unfurls the cloak, you experience a moment of shock. A very similar garment was frequently worn by Erian Jaxmoor.

WhismurWanders
2020-06-06, 01:08 PM
Thogran points out the footprints to the others. "The sculptor was working here rather recently. These are strange folks indeed. Dissecting that poor woman, studying orcs, even encountering some affiliated with your good friend, Rodan of Rulk, Prince Valin. Whoever is working here seems to have only limited knowledge of R'Arathis and its people."

Kvard51
2020-06-06, 02:07 PM
Valin stares at the cloak, a momentary feeling of fear washing over him. "That cloak belongs to one of my father's retainers, and a very good friend. This sculptor had better pray she is still alive." The grim look on his face lends credence to his words.

We should push on. I mean to find Jax before something happens to her, if I can."

Starbin
2020-06-07, 01:29 AM

Praz nodded and took the lead back to the main chamber, ready to head towards the final corridor. ”I’ll check the dead end for hidden doors first, then we can head down the last corridor, yes?" After checking the hall, Praz returned to the others and nodded towards the last corridor.

A thought struck him as they headed down. ”Does anyone think it strange we are finding things we are familiar with? Strange for a place so far and remote, yes?”
[roll0]

Esprit15
2020-06-07, 02:38 AM
”Somewhat? You travel enough, you meet a lot of people,” Trix says dismissively.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-07, 09:25 AM
Because of the advantage of having encountered an example hidden door already, Praz notices the telltale signs of another one in the south wall of the empty, dead-end chamber. Marie is quick to point out it is right next to the spot where the shadowy figures were huddled.

With the team realigned, the secret door is opened. But it reveals the room of the unfinished statue which the party has already discovered. If the first hidden door was left open, the party can gaze straight through the sculpting room and into the laboratory.

Your comprehend languages spell has ended.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-08, 01:42 PM
A metallic clatter echoes through the subterranean compound you occupy. Those in the first statue room witness a crabbers' cage tumble down the steps from the lighthouse above into the chamber. It is filled with translucent, alien crustaceans, writhing, and stinking of the sea. A stoppered, metal jug bounces down the steps and comes to rest behind the cage.

From the curving, narrow staircase leading back to the first floor of the lighthouse, a steady monotone voice intones: "More Easterlings? Of course you are; the ratfolk would not dare...

"Take the sustenance and secure yourself in the gaol with the rest. I will deal with you on the morrow after I have collected my thoughts. Perhaps you will be more decorous than your previous ilk." There is a splash, and the constant low rumble of the whirlpool from the chamber above ends. Quiet falls upon the party.

Bobthewizard
2020-06-08, 06:08 PM

Hoping the others follow her, Miko puts the cloak and the scrolls in her bag, and then sets out to explore the stairs to see if she can reach the owner of the voice that just called down, her shield in one hand and a brass belaying pin in her other.

Esprit15
2020-06-08, 07:44 PM
Trix shouts in the direction of the voice. ”And just who in the Nine Hells are you!?” She runs up the stairs, axe drawn.

Kvard51
2020-06-08, 08:15 PM
Valin follows the others up the steps, but fears it is a waste of resources. The confident voice would not have given itself away so easily if he wasn't either prepared for a fight or prepared to escape. But, if it is to be a fight, Valin would not leave his companions to face it alone.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-08, 11:11 PM
Jumping over the writhing crab trap and metal flagon, Miko and Trix rushed up the steps to the first level of the lighthouse. Valin followed but with a bit more caution, though perhaps it nagged at him the voice's words, "... in the gaol with the rest." And his thoughts turned to the cloak they had found.

The steep, spiraling stairwell ends in a barrier. The whirlpool in the basin above had ceased, and suspended above Miko and Trix's heads was the same mirror-like liquid blocking the exit. In its reflection, they see their faces, black craters where their eyes should be.

Esprit15
2020-06-09, 12:23 AM
Trix glares at the mirroring liquid, before taking out the eyeballs she had collected earlier and tries to feed them into the surface.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-10, 09:35 AM
Trix pushes the eyes up into the mirrored liquid. Same as before the ripple they create begins to swirl until the whole of the basin is a whirlpool. It exposes the first floor of the lighthouse which is the same as when the party left it, except halfway up the stairs to the second level stands a... man?

The figure is big, easily as tall as the minotaur Praz. Clean-shaven with close-cropped hair, Trix identifies him as the subject of the second, unfinished statue. He wears a red robe with the silver symbol of the ziggurat and four-pointed star in the circle. From head-to-toe, he is soaking wet.

He muses with a hint of disappointment, "Impressive to be both more clever than the last Easterlings..." He turns and looks at Trix and as he does he exposes a graphic sight: a black and ruinous scar runs the length of his head, years and years old and poorly healed; it looks like he took a battleaxe to the skull, a wound which should have killed any mortal man. "And yet still be so very dumb."

The twelve corpses in the alcoves open their eyes and their dry, unyielding gaze falls on Trix.

WhismurWanders
2020-06-10, 11:02 AM
Thogran keeps up with the party and braces for whatever might come next. This whole situation was slowly eroding his normally stoice demeanor, growing more intense and more gruesome with each new revelation, but he was sent here on a mission. He wouldn't fail.

Kalashak
2020-06-10, 06:13 PM
Marie stares up the stairs, not quite sure what's happening. She decides to follow the others' lead here but keeps the sun blade on and prepares herself for this situation to go awry.

Esprit15
2020-06-10, 11:28 PM
"Funny, I'm not the one with damage to my skull," Trix scoffs. She shouts an incantation as she charges toward the humanoid, doing her best to get in the path of him and his escape. The rest of the party would probably notice that as her footsteps approach the man, they go silent.
Move next to the man, casting Silence, centered on him.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-11, 03:47 AM
Trix flings her spell and bounds to the base of the stairs confronting the red-robed man. The barbarian chieftain can smell the stink of fresh seawater, the same as the translucent crabs in the cage which had come tumbling down the stairs into the statue room. His lips move in noiseless speech and up this close something strikes Trix as truly unnatural about his movements. Without sound to his words he pauses and his face sinks to expressionlessness.

He turns on Trix and raises huge hands against her.

So if everyone remembers, we are using Speed Factor Initiative (DMG pg 270), and don't forget the initiative modifier table on 271. Everyone is going to state what they plan to do for the turn, roll attacks/damage (should they want to attempt such) and roll initiative, once that's done I'll narrate the results and we'll start again the next turn. Because I don't want this to drag out for three days, I'm going to respond with whoever has posted by late tonight.

INITIATIVE:[roll0]

WhismurWanders
2020-06-11, 07:50 AM
Thogran backs up away from the dome of silence, and begins casting his own spell. He fishes a small clay hand from his component pouch as he begins incanting, causing dirt and dust to coalesce into a much larger hand adjacent to their adversary to cut off its retreat up the stairway. The hand clenches into a fist once before unclenching and swiping at the stranger, hoping to grab him and hold him still.

Thogran backs up so he doesn't run into problems with Silence.

Initiative: [roll0]
Casting Maximilian's Earthen Grasp

Components: VSM
Range: 30 ft.
Summons a Medium-sized hand which occupies a 5 foot square within range
The hand reaches for a target you can see, which must pass a DC 15 Strength Save or be Restrained and take [roll1] Bludgeoning Damage
To end the restrained condition, the target must use its Action to pass a DC 15 Strength Check
As an action, I can cause the hand to crush a restrained target, or assign it a different creature within range to restrain.

Bobthewizard
2020-06-11, 08:18 AM

Miko springs from the pool into the open area above, moving backwards to allow others to exit. She holds her belaying pin and shoots two eldritch blasts at the man on the stairs, then continues to back away form the zombies in case they start to move.

Initiative [roll0]

Eldritch Blast: [roll1] damage [roll2]

Second blast: [roll3] damage [roll4]

Using lance of lethargy to reduce his speed by 10'.

If he moves forward with his turn, then add repelling blast to move him back 10 or 20' into the area of silence.

Kalashak
2020-06-11, 02:03 PM
Hearing a shout and charging footsteps snaps Marie out of her confusion. She darts up the stairs, drawing a dagger in her offhand as she does. Marie briefly takes stock of the situation before moving opposite of Trix and attacking.

I've never used Speed Factor so I may have messed this up, dexterity modifier+rakish audacity+using a finesse weapon
[roll0]
[roll1] Sun blade
[roll2] radiant damage if the above hits
[roll3] dagger
[roll4] dagger damage
[roll5] Sneak attack, if applicable

Kvard51
2020-06-11, 03:44 PM
Valin growls low in his throat when he sees the scarred figure. He sprints across the room to face him, "You will pay for what you've done. That woman below didn't deserve her fate, and neither does Jax!"

He stops just out of reach and calls upon the power of his oath, hoping to cower the man before engaging in battle.

Initiative (w/ Advantage): [roll0], [roll1]

Move to within 10' and use Channel Divinity: Conquering Presence to force him to Will save (DC 16) or be frightened for 1 minute. If he fails, moveent is reduced to zero due to Aura of Conquest and he will take
4 Psychic damage at the beginning of his turn. Save again each round.)

Esprit15
2020-06-11, 03:44 PM
Trix, being unable to speak a spell, simply swings her axe at the man.
Not sure how AoO work with this, but if he provokes one, Trix will grapple him.

Axe (Magical, Silver):
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-11, 09:09 PM
A flurry of activity follows Trix's decisive action.

Fast as lightning Marie leaps to action, springing from the tunnel in the basin and bounding over to the red-robed man. Her Sun Blades cleaves through robe and digs into the strangely resilient flesh but her dagger, though striking true, harmlessly skitters off his skin. Trix follows up with a round of battleaxe strikes that leave long gashes in his exposed arms. Up close, Trix and Marie can tell that he does not bleed.

Valin follows after and though Trix's silence spell does rob his declaration of justice of its impact, there is no doubting the menacing atmosphere which he exudes. Despite the prince focusing his malice elsewhere, even those of the party familiar with him felt an instant of shiver. Of their foe, beside a sideways glance, it brought no change to his expressionless face.

The huge hands in front of Trix balled into fists and came down upon her.

[roll0] for [roll1] magical blundgeoning damage.
[roll2] for [roll3] magical blundgeoning damage.

For each hit, make a Constitution save (DC 10 or half the damage whichever is higher) to maintain Concentration. You are with Valin's +5 save aura

Miko Daitan emerges and recognizes that the area just above the basin is within the magical silence. She jumps back to the half of the round chamber away from the stairs up, where she can give voice to her magic. Unfortunately, the remaining corpses in the alcoves are scattered across the whole of the room and not easy to avoid. Still, she casts two eldritch blasts which strike the enemy, searing black marks into his red robes.

Thogran emerges from the tunnel only long enough to cast his magic and retreats back inside for cover. The earthen hand forms behind their foe and attempts to grab him.

Magic Resistance
[roll4]
[roll5]

Of the twelve corpses in the alcoves surrounding the chamber, four lurch forward. Though their movements are jerky and uneven, three cross the distance to the mass melee around the stairs to the second level of the lighthouse. Two close on Marie and the third approaches Valin, their rotting fists and dreadful glares falling upon both. A fourth, the only one on the far side of the chamber to animate, shambles over to Miko striking out for her as well.

Corpse #1
[roll6] for [roll7] bludgeoning damage plus [roll8] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

Also, make a DC 11 Wisdom save against a fear effect.

Corpse #2
[roll9] for [roll10] bludgeoning damamge plus [roll11] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

On all the saves you benefit from Valin's +5 save bonus.

[roll12] for [roll13] bludgeoning damage plus [roll14] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

Roll an Intelligence (Arcana) check.

[roll15] for [roll16] bludgeoning damage plus [roll17] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

You are outside Valin's Aura of Protection radius.

I'm going to see what kind of hits land and who makes what saving throws, then I'll say what conditions any may be facing and set up the next round. Then everyone can dictate their actions and roll.

Starbin
2020-06-12, 03:41 AM

Praz followed the others back to the room they first entered, but the portal was gone! In a flash of insight, Trix pulled out the extra eyes she was carrying and managed to open the gate once more. But before Oraz could react to the situation or the strange figure lurking on the stairs, his companions leapt into combat.

The minotaur hesitated, uncertain what was going on. But when the large man shrugged off several blows without flinching, and the dead began to attack the others, Praz clenched his teeth and moved to engage, his doubts pushed aside. Marie was as being attacked by two foes, so Praz moved forward with his giant blade and attacked.
Advantage on initiative: [roll0]+1=18. Move to help Marie, attack one of the chumps on her.
[roll1], [roll2], [roll3], [roll4]. Add [roll5] if Praz strikes a target at less than full hp.
Equipment: greatsword (+7, 2d6+4S)

Bobthewizard
2020-06-12, 07:05 AM
Arcana: [roll0]

Wisdom Save: [roll1]

Esprit15
2020-06-12, 10:40 AM
Trix grins as the withered man shrugs off the weapon blows. She silently shouts at the man and swings again.

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Kvard51
2020-06-12, 02:22 PM
Valin flows through his forms as he closes the distance between himself and his adversary, his Sun Blade sweeping low in River Undercuts the Bank. At his farthest extension, he changes the direction of his cut Flushing the Grouse cuts diagonally from the point of the red-robed figures left hip upward across his chest. He ends in a guard position with the blade vertical at his side.

Initiative (w/ Advantage): [roll0], [roll1]

Attack w/ Sun Blade (Divine Smite 1st lvl): [roll2] for [roll3] + [roll4] Radiant Dmg
Extra Attack: [roll5] for [roll6] + [roll7] Radiant Dmg

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-12, 03:21 PM
Marie you suffer the frightened condition for the next round.

Despite Marie's deft movements saving her from one of the corpses' claws, she finds them deeply unsettling. But just as quickly Praz leaps into the room and cleaved into one of the enemies surrounding the folk hero of Llelan. His greatsword finds its mark both times, but the undead is highly resilient.

Marie's eldritch bolts seem to finally slow the relentlessness of the man. The combined attacks of the party seem to be taking their toll. Even still, when the minotaur enters the chamber, the stoicism of the figure breaks into what could only be described as a childlike wonder at the sight of Praz.

Another of the corpses on the side of the chamber stirs and advances on the base of the stairs to the second level. It is beginning to be a squeeze with Trix at the bottom of the steps, Marie beside her both confronting the red-robed man halfway up the staircase, a magical earthen hand behind him up the stairs, now Praz and Valin crowding in behind the front line and them all surrounded by three of the animate corpses with another fresh one approaching. On the far side of the chamber, Miko engages her own animate corpse. Thogran remains in the tunnel down beneath the whirlpool basin of mirrored liquid.

Valin and Trix's latest posts will be part of the next round of combat. Praz needs to go again along with Miko, Marie, and Thogran. When everybody's done, I'll sum it up as per usual.

Red-robed Man (bloodied):[roll0]
Corpses:[roll1]

Bobthewizard
2020-06-12, 04:15 PM

With the corpse upon her, Miko swings her belaying pin at its head, hoping to connect before it can attack her.

Booming blade to hit: [roll0], Damage: [roll1] BB: [roll2]

Rider if it moves away: [roll3]

WhismurWanders
2020-06-12, 05:39 PM
The dwarf grits his teeth as the hand doesn't seem to leave an impression. He allows it to serve as an obstacle, hurling a gout of ice at the undead closest to Marie.

Cast Ray of Frost: [roll1] for [roll2] cold damage and movement reduced by 10'

Kalashak
2020-06-12, 09:03 PM
The shambling undead remind Marie of all the deaths she's seen over the past few years, and her own very near death. As the faces of those she's lost briefly flit through her mind, Marie's will breaks for the moment. Muscle memory kicks in, and she slashes at the enemy Praz hit but her heart is clearly not in it.

Initiative [roll0]
Sun Sword (disadvantage) [roll1] [roll2]
Damage [roll3] radiant
Dagger (disadvantage) [roll4] [roll5]
Damage [roll6] piercing
Sneak attack [roll7]

Starbin
2020-06-12, 09:58 PM

Praz grunted in surprise that the creature was standing. Of course it might never fall, being unliving, but until one of companions came up with a better plan, the minotaur would keep swinging. Murmuring words of power, he called upon the litanies of vengeance, marking his target.
Advantage on initiative: [roll0]+0=15 (From OOC)
Casting Hunter’s Mark as bonus, attack twice against injured zombiatch
[roll1], [roll2], [roll3], [roll4]
Add [roll5] vs targets below max HP

Effects: Hunter’s Mark (add 1d6 damage to target; concentration up to 1hr)

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-14, 03:36 AM
Yesterday, I posted a rough diagram of the battlefield in the OOC section. I am using some creative license with your actions to make them fit with what's where.

Marie, despite her trauma both past and present, cleaves into the corpse between her and Praz. Her flashing Sun Blade does not fail her.

Valin turns on the same foe as Marie and Praz, seeking to carve his way through the melee to the red-robed man. His long underwater journey had affected his technique, but he rediscovered it soon enough and his second stroke dealt the shambling corpse a radiant blow.

Though momentarily transfixed by the sight of Praz, Trix quickly regained the looming figure's attention as she carved more bloodless wounds into his flesh causing him to lean back against the wall for support.

Praz found his spell impossible as he was under the blanket of silence Trix had cast. Still, no matter, the combined efforts of himself, Marie, and Valin crushed the corpse. With the minotaur's last strike whatever animating force lies in it evaporated and the whole of the monster crumbled to the same dust from before. And from that pile, two intense eyes stared up at the three of them.

The corpses pressed on their attack, with rotting fists and casting their dread glare on those who had not yet resisted. Two pressed in on Valin and Marie, while Miko battled with her own foe on the far side of the room. The freshly animated corpse came around the wall and struck at Trix from behind.

[roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning damage and [roll2] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

[roll3] for [roll4] bludgeoning damage and [roll5] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.
[roll6] for [roll7] bludgeoning damage and [roll8] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

You are outside Valin's Aura of Protection radius.
[roll9] for [roll10] bludgeoning damage and [roll11] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

Make a DC 11 Wisdom save against a fear effect with the benefit of Valin's +5 save bonus.
Thogran emerges from the tunnel in the center of the whirlpool basin and flings a blast of elemental cold, which despite the press of the swirling combat still finds its mark, coating the second corpse on Marie in a hoary frost.

Roll an Intelligence (Arcana) check.
Seeing the forces arrayed against him, the red-robed man makes a conscious effort to disengage and in an impressive athletic display leaps over the grasping hand spell and into the second-floor chamber. Trix witnesses him land prone at the top of the flight of stairs and sees him slowly drag himself out of sight.

Miko turns on her assailant and lays into him with the resounding clatter of her belaying pin. Though injured and surrounded in concussive magic, it presses the attack.

I'm going to alter the map and post it in the OOC thread.

Just a reminder: I need initiative every round.

Bobthewizard
2020-06-14, 05:35 AM

Miko maneuvers herself so that her repelling blast, if it works, pushes the corpse out the eastern entrance. Two bolts of force spring from her hands at the corpse.

Sorry. I accidentally posted in the OOC. copied to here.

initiative (1d20+2)[18]

Move 2 squares north, so that the repelling blast pushes the corpse out the entrance.

#1 to hit (1d20+9)[29] (if disadvantage (1d20+9)[17]) damage (1d10+5)[7]

if the first blast kills this corpse, redirect #2 at the leader if possible or another corpse.

#2 to hit (1d20+9)[18] (if disadvantage (1d20+9)[17]) damage (1d10+5)[7]

She will use repelling blast (push 10') on both attacks and lance of lethargy (-10' movement) on the first attack that hits.

Kalashak
2020-06-15, 12:40 AM
Marie feints towards the two undead near her, before darting away from them and running up the stairs. She chugs a healing potion as she climbs up.

[roll0] initiative
[roll1] sunsword
[roll2] radiant damage
[roll3] dagger
[roll4] piercing damage
[roll5] sneak attack

Esprit15
2020-06-15, 02:28 AM
Trix's growl as the man flees is muted by the silent region created by her spell. She drops her focus on the area of silence. "Marnie, upstairs with me. I don't want him getting away." With that, Trix vanishes, her footsteps quickly fading as she runs upstairs after the man.
Free Action: End concentration on Silence
Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration on Marnie
Standard Action: Cast Greater Invisibility
Movement: Chase zombie-man upstairs

Initiative roll: 18 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24563023&postcount=66)

WhismurWanders
2020-06-15, 04:09 PM
Thogran sends another sheet of ice towards the injured corpse in his vicinity before cautiously moving towards the stairway, prepared to either prevent the zombies from following them up the stairs or to re-engage with the fleeing man above.

Cast Ray of Frost at the injured corpse closest to Thogran. [roll1] for [roll2]
Move towards the stairwell.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-17, 08:00 AM
Marie feints left then right bounding past all three of the animated corpses while she downs a healing potion. A final leap over the dwarf's grasping earthen claw and she slides to a halt in the second-floor chamber of the lighthouse. At her feet lies the man in a shallow puddle of seawater leaking off his red robes.

Trix drops the silence spell and slips into invisibility following Marie up the stairs. She too stands ready over their foe.

But at this point both women take in the chamber they are in. It is empty save the three of them and another staircase across the room, but the walls are covered entirely in a once-grand mosaic. A picture story is played out across them. Though in the heat of combat only a few flashes can be seen: a falling star, a city carved from a mountain by the sea, red-robed figures in a circle, and a large pool of inky blackness.

Of their adversary on the floor, up this close, they see the deep wounds which they have inflicted upon him. Some go straight through the muscle exposing the bone, though the limb still functions. Where one would expect veins and blood, copper wire seems to hold the figure's flesh together.

Back in the first-floor chamber, Miko maneuvers around her enemy lining it up for her attack. Despite the close proximity she manages to land two resounding hits, tossing the corpse out the main entrance and into the ghostly light shining from atop the lighthouse. There is a brief peculiar moment where the usually stoic undead seems confused. When it looks up to the bonfire at the tower's apex, its eyes go wide and burst into the same hollow flames before exploding. The remaining body collapses to dust.

Back with Trix and Marie, the man looks between the stairs up and his only apparent assailant. He notes her glance at the mosaic, and his dispassion succumbs to anger. "It is not for your eyes, vandal!" Ignorant of his injuries, he leaps to his feat and makes to drop his mighty fists down upon the hero of Llelan.

[roll0] for [roll1] magical bludgeoning damage.
[roll2] for [roll3] magical bludgeoning damage.
Praz and Valin converge on the wounded corpse at the base of the stairs. Free of the effects of silence the minotaur casts hunter's mark and lays into the creature. The paladin keeps his resources in reserve, instead, relying simply on his Sun Blade. The two deal the creature several mighty blows. It is teetering on the verge of destruction.

Seeing that the animated corpse attacking Miko is dispatched, Thogran disengages and weaves through the melee at the base of the stairs and begins his ascent. The wizard is mindful of the remaining corpses in the alcoves and he waits to see where his magic could best be deployed.

The remaining corpses wail on the closest of the party with rotting fists. The one approaching Praz from behind does cast a dreadful glare at Thogran above on the stairs.

[roll4] for [roll5] bludgeoning damage and [roll6] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save with Valin's +5 save bonus.

[roll7] for [roll8] bludgeoning damage and [roll9] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.
[roll10] for [roll11] bludgeoning damage and [roll12] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

Make a DC 11 Wisdom save against a fear effect. You are outside Valin's Aura of Protection radius.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-17, 08:04 AM
There is an additional [roll0] from the critical hit.

Bobthewizard
2020-06-17, 08:22 AM

Miko weaves her way around the corpses, trying to catch up to Thogran and the others. She uses her eldritch blasts to try to push corpses out of her way, particularly the one that has Thogran in its gaze.

initiative [roll0]

Use these attacks to try to avoid taking any AOO as she runs through the room.

attack [roll1] damage [roll2] use repelling blast to push it away, lance of lethargy on first hit.

attack [roll3] damage [roll4] use repelling blast to push it away.

WhismurWanders
2020-06-17, 09:13 AM
Thogran attempts to continue up the stairs when he hears shouting coming from above him. He does his best to evade the reach of the corpses, flicking his wrist to send the earthen hand to interfere with their strange opponent once more.

Initiative:[roll0]
Move around the outside of the second floor, ending two squares behind Trix
Action: Move Earthen Grasp to the square southeast of the robed man-thing

Kalashak
2020-06-17, 10:30 AM
Marie does her best to roll with the blow, going limp as the robed man strikes her. The enemies' attacks have left her winded and unable to think of any clever retorts but raises her chin defiantly and openly stares at the mosaic.

Using uncanny dodge against the punch that hit
Initiative [roll0]
Sunblade [roll1]
Radiant Damage [roll2]
Sneak attack if applicable [roll3]

Esprit15
2020-06-17, 01:31 PM
”Marnie, the battle’s nearly over. Stay with me a little longer,”
Trix says, weaving healing magic into her words. She slams her axe into the copper-wired man’s body, taking advantage of the invisibility preventing her movements from being seen, and then steps around from where she struck him from, to keep him guessing.
Initiative:
Bonus Action: Healing Word on Marnie - [roll1]

Standard Action: Attack while Invisible
Attack: [roll]2d20b1+9
Damage:
If Crit: +[roll3]

Attack: [roll]2d20b1+9
If Crit: +[roll5]

Move Action: Move around man to make knowing my position harder

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-19, 06:25 AM
Trix whispers words of healing magic which flow into Marie (+7 hp and matches her movements so they attack their towering foe as one. Two invisible axe strokes to the leg takes him by surprise and drops him to his knees. Marie drives the glowing point of her Sun Blade into his chest and there is a sound of glass shattering and alchemical liquid leaks from the wound, spreading fast across the damp surface of his robe. The anger in the man-thing's eyes fades as they go a dull and lifeless gray, and he falls to the ground.

Down in the first-floor chamber, the ghostly light outside the entrance intensifies in a momentary blinding flash. Echoing up through the tunnel in the middle of the swirling pool of mirror-like liquid comes the sound of a great explosion that echoes all the way up to the second floor like the sound of a laughing titan.

This causes the corpses to pause for a moment and finally take their eyes from the party members. Instead, they share worried glances among themselves.

Taking advantage of this, Miko darts through the melee at the base of the stairs and despite the proximity manages to blast one of the undead away, clearing the path for Thogran to ascending unharried.

Praz lays into his marked foe. Though his strikes are still blunted by the density of the creature's flesh, he manages a decisive blow which sees it collapse into dust.

Likewise, Valin spins and lays into the corpse Miko just flung his way. Between the eldritch searing and the slashes of the Sun Blade, it appears to be teetering.

Thogran, though only a split-second behind Marie and Trix, comes to rest against the mural wall just in time to watch the red-robed man come crashing down. Finally, this close, seeing the exposed copper wires within his muscles and the tint of the indigo liquid which mingles with the seawater dripping off the body the dwarf comes to a realization...

The red-robed man was some kind of highly sophisticated flesh golem. Not built from separate pieces of cadavers, but with a new body crafted wholely for itself, which was why it was so hard to identify. Its level of intelligence is hard to justify, though you suppose if such a golem were to exist long enough it could perhaps grow smarter. Still, without living teachers, it would likely lack any sort of wisdom or morality.
The animated corpses regroup. Whether through tenacity or compulsion, they tirelessly strike back at Praz and Valin with their rotting fists.

[roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning damage and [roll2] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save with Valin's +5 save bonus.
[roll3] for [roll4] bludgeoning damage and [roll5] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

Bobthewizard
2020-06-19, 07:03 AM

Miko ascends the stairs halfway to get a better shot and throws two more blasts at the corpses, starting with the wounded one, and then continuing her climb into the second floor room.

D'oh, I missed my chance to use my mace of smiting.

Attack 1: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Attack 2: [roll2] Damage: [roll3]

Starbin
2020-06-19, 11:15 AM

Praz blinked at the explosion of light. "What in the wide open pasture was that? Marie?! Trixie?!" The minotaur wasn't sure what the display meant, but he was worried about what it could mean regarding his friends safety. He was quickly brought back to his current situation when the shambling creature in front of him smashed him in the chest hard.

Grunting with the weight of the impact, Praz pushed aside the pain, strong of sinew and singular focus. He brought his blade around, he swung twice again, snicker-snack, in an attempt to finally end this creature's existence. He wanted to run, but didn't wish to leave Valin between two foes ... but he struggled internally for who need his help more. However, if he could fell this foe, he'd trust Valin and Miko could handle a single, wounded zombie.
Advantage on initiative: [roll0]+1=8; passed concentration for Hunter’s Mark and Con Save (see OOC)
Two attacks. If the zombie drops, Praz will full move up the stairs.
[roll1], [roll2] / [roll3], [roll4]
Add [roll5] when the target is below max HP
HPs: 45/68 AC: 17 Initiative +3, Pass Dex: 16

Esprit15
2020-06-19, 11:52 AM
Not wanting to waste the spell, Trix heads toward the next set of stairs. ”I think they’ve got things downstairs covered. I’m gonna check things out upstairs before this spell wears out.”
Move upstairs. Do I need to make Hide checks while invisible?

WhismurWanders
2020-06-19, 03:41 PM
Thogran dismisses the earthen hand, which had proven to be a particularly useless tool in this battle. Fortunately, the others were up to snuff, and so Thogran turned to a task he was more suited towards; examining the surrounding mosaic and looking for any clues as to their meaning, even as he ponders aloud the meaning of this ... strange creation they had just felled. "So not a man at all, but some kind of ... not-quite-flesh golem, seeking to understand the 'Easterlings', which I assume is us and other R'Arathians. Most curious..."

History? - [roll0]
Investigation? - [roll1]

Kalashak
2020-06-20, 03:35 AM
Marie stretches and lets out a long sigh. "That came entirely too close for comfort." She bends down and checks the construct's pockets, trusting that Trix won't find too much trouble before she can follow.

Investigation, if needed [roll0]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-21, 07:49 AM
As Miko climbs the stairs, her first eldritch blast reduces the battered undead to ashes and her second lays into the one confronting Praz. She enters the second-floor chamber to discover the red-robed man dead in a puddle of seawater and strange alchemical fluid. A battered Marie hovering over the deceased while Thogran has begun his examination of the epic mosaic covering the walls. The former pirate arrives just in time to hear an invisible Trix say, "I think they've got things downstairs covered. I'm gonna check things out upstairs before this spell wears out."

In the first-floor chamber, Valin spins back around and lays into the last animated corpse dealing two more radiant blows.

The corpse presses its attack for the final time with its rotting fists.

[roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning damage and [roll2] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save with Valin's +5 save bonus.
After this, Praz tears its head from its shoulders in one mighty blow of his greatsword. The body collapsing to dust and the remaining eyes bouncing across the floor.

The five remaining corpses in the alcoves stand unmoving save for their collective gaze which has fallen upon the prince and minotaur.

All Marie discovers of the red-robed man is that he is soaked head-to-toe with seawater as if he'd just been for a swim. And he is extraordinarily heavy. He only wears the frayed, red robe which doesn't appear to have pockets. When Marie comes into the contact with the alchemical liquid soaking into the fabric of the robe, she receives a jolt which causes the muscles in her arm to spasm momentarily.

[roll3] lightning damage.
Thogran begins his examination of the story which unfolds in the mosaic. It will take several minutes before he can begin to gather an impression of the events it depicts.

Trix, still under the invisible cloak of her spell, ascends the next stairwell to the lighthouse's third floor. This chamber contains a mighty pillar of strange stone in the center. Its surface carved with runes great and small. The larger ones mimic those which cover the rocky surface of the island outside; the ones Thogran's had said were seals of binding and elemental fire. There are four windows in the cardinal directions in this chamber giving a clear view of the entire island, as well as a first real look at the perilous coastline across the waters: at the nearest point is a vast and ruined city hewn from the rock of one mountain's slope; it would appear completely dead but for through the daytime gloom scattered lights can be seen from the distant buildings. There is another staircase across the room, climbing to the fourth and final floor of the tower.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-21, 08:17 AM
After seeing Marie get shocked, you realize the golem's animation fluid is still active. You believe you could render it permanently inert with a DC 15 Intelligence (Alchemist Tools) check.

Esprit15
2020-06-21, 10:39 AM
Trix wanted to stick around, but investigation could be done when she was visible again. It appeared to be part of the apparatus that kept the lighthouse fire going. She quickly makes her way to the stairs and heads up them as well.

Bobthewizard
2020-06-21, 07:56 PM

Miko stays on the steps between the corpses and the red-robed man's body, watching the remaining corpses to make sure they don't follow us, waiting for Thogran and Trix to gather more information.

Kalashak
2020-06-22, 05:29 AM
Marie yelps. "Ow! Even after death he finds ways to wound us! Don't touch this seawater." She glances at the mural again before heading up the stairs. "Trix shouldn't have to deal with any more surprises like that alone."

WhismurWanders
2020-06-22, 06:45 AM
Marie's yelp startles the dwarf, who was still musing over the mural. A cursory glance at the fallen man-golem-thing reavealed an oddity to him, and he places his backpack down to fish for his alchemical supplies. "I'm sure she'll come hollering and yelling if she needs help. Headstrong lass like that doesn't make it this far if she's too impulsive." With flask and reagents in hand, Thogran attempts to neutralize whatever had jolted Marie. "Lemme see if I can stop the shocks for you."

Intelligence: [roll0]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-22, 01:10 PM
Applying various extracts and nullifying compounds, the dwarven alchemist sends a momentary surge through the leaking animation fluid. The bright indigo liquid dulls to white and any remaining appearance of life to the golem's flesh is replaced by an ashen pallor and rubbery, inanimate texture.

Trix climbs the steps to the fourth-floor and finds it barricaded by another old and dented door with a makeshift feel (and installed long after the construction of the lighthouse). In all respects, it is very similar to the door which Trix battered down leading to the laboratory in the dungeon below. A test of its handle though, however, finds it unlocked.

Cautiously but quickly, the barbarian chieftain gives the hinges, keyhole, and immediate surrounding walls and floors a once over. She finds no indication of a trap mechanism.

In the meantime, Marie makes it to the third floor, crossing the distance and taking in the strange rune-carved pillar at the center and the various sights beyond the four windows. She makes it to the base of the next staircase where she watches an invisible presence turn the handle and open the metal door into a chamber of soft warm light.

Trix peers into the fourth-floor chamber, the smallest yet, and it is crammed with clutter. There are many windows, but makeshift curtain-rags have been hung over all of them. A small cauldron simmers over the embers in the braiser. A stubby metal stool squats beside a long table filled with strange potted plants, vials of dust and powders, and tiny figurines carved from driftwood. Freshly dug roots litter a cutting board beside a knife. On one wall hangs a small mirror, blackened with age and spider-webbed with cracks. An ornate and sophisticated bullseye lantern, badly damaged, lies on the floor beneath the mirror.

Down in the first-floor chamber, Miko watches over Praz and Valin from the stairs as they take a moment to breathe. The former pirate scans the five remaining corpses in the scattered alcoves but they keep their unblinking eyes upon the prince and minotaur... or they did until something caused them to look away. She follows their steady gaze to the pool in the center of the room, the mirror-like water inside still swirling to expose the staircase to the dungeon, and at first, there seems to be nothing new. But then she catches sight of a wisp of smoke. Then another. And a steady stream of black smoke begins to rise from the exposed tunnel leading down.

Esprit15
2020-06-22, 03:28 PM
Trix gives the cauldron pot contents a look and smell, but decides that nothing losing any clear danger lies up here, and so heads down to regroup with the others, coming into view as she steps back into the room with Thorgan.

”Well, nothing that appears to want us dead up there, unless there are well hidden guards that only activate on seeing intruders.” Which was... certainly possible. “From the next floor, you can actually see a town in the distance, and it appears inhabited. Not sure how they will receive travelers, but this place isn’t abandoned of life, at least. There are also more of those fire runes; I’m guessing they have something to do with keeping the fire going. The only floor after that appears to be someone’s living space. Maybe the old man’s?”

Kvard51
2020-06-23, 10:56 AM
Valin bends over with his hands on his knees, panting and taking stock of his injuries. He does the best he can to stop the bleeding, calling on the strength of his Oath to heal the worst of the wounds.Lay on Hands for 30 hp He looks up the stairs, but trusts Marie and Thogran to discern the red-robed mans nature. Instead, he turns to go into the smoke, hoping to salvage Jax body for burial, at the least. "He spoke of dungeons, perhaps there are some alive down there. We need to release them, if we can, before the smoke finishes them.

Bobthewizard
2020-06-23, 07:53 PM

Valin's move to go back downstairs into the smoke by himself surprises Miko. She tries to stop him so others can help or talk him out of it. She yells at him, loud enough for those upstairs to hear her, too.

"Valin, no. You can't fight fire and smoke. We've explored every path down there. There were no survivors. We need you with us if we are going to finish this mission."

Then she runs after him, either to stop him or help.

Starbin
2020-06-24, 12:52 AM

Praz grunted at the twin blows and responded with another sweep of his blade that beheaded the dead creature. For a moment, there was naught but the labored breathing of his companions. Glancing at the staring, but still, bodies Praz readied his blade. To Valin and Mike, he said ”We should help our friends above, yes?" The minotaur made to move upstairs, calling out loudly, ”Trixie! Marie! Thogran! We’re coming!”

He paused at Valin’s words, frowning. While he didn’t think they had searched everything like Miko said, he still considered her point valid. How would they fight fire and smoke? Shaking his head, he nodded towards the stairs. “Let’s get our friends first ... then I will go with you below. Worry not, Mimi - I have a trick uNader my beard.”. He grinned and prepared to head upstairs.
Ouch, those things messed Praz up! To be clear, we never searched the tunnel, right? Well, Praz wants to make certain his friends are all right. But once they check that box, I almost forgot - he has a cube of force. Go-go Gadget smoke block!
HPs: 19/68 AC: 17 Initiative +3, Pass Dex: 16

WhismurWanders
2020-06-24, 02:25 PM
Thogran reports his findings to anyone who cares to listen. "Turns out he's not really a man. Not like you or I. An advanced type of flesh-golem using some sort of alchemical fluid to function... I've rendered it completely inert, it won't be bothering anyone any time soon. I can't imagine we would get anywhere questioning it, given its reckless displays."

As others prepare to search the final areas of the dungeon, Thogran follows close behind, ready with the coil of rope at his side in case they need to make a quick exit.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-25, 07:26 AM
Trix has encountered plenty of weird foods on her travels, so she is fairly confident what's in the cauldron is not food. It could be a potion being brewed. In addition to strange pieces of bark, there appears to be some kind of spined jellyfish floating in the milky liquid.
Valin, Praz, Miko, and Thogran form up together and descend the narrow staircase in the center of the swirling basin. Activating his magic cube, the minotaur creates an energy field around the whole group. It drives out the smoke and keeps their air clean.

At the bottom of the steps, the first chamber's upper half surges with smoke pouring in from the southern corridor to the laboratory. At their feet, the metal cage which first tumbled into the room when the red-robed man intended to trap them is now filled with the remains of the translucent crabs, which have been roasted to a powder blue color. The walls and floor and ceiling of the room are covered in a solid layer of black scorching. The smoke ripples with movement, and though with the energy field the party cannot smell or feel the foul wind, each hear the foreign mutterings it carries... the anger in the collective tone tempered this time with despair. Still, through the haze atop statue's raised hand (the only piece of it which has not been seared), the ghostly flame shines stronger than before.

A thick heat wafts into the room from the laboratory; you can hear the fire raging there. With the Praz's energy field blocking the way upward, the smoke is just now beginning to seep down the sloping northern passage. From that tunnel, there comes a repeated clanging, and a gravelly voice echoes with cries for help!

Bobthewizard
2020-06-25, 07:35 AM

Huddling with Valin, Thogran and Praz, Miko continues into the smoke-filled tunnels. On hearing the clanging and voice from the northern tunnel, she gets excited.

"Valin, you were right! There is still someone down here. Let's go quickly before this cube runs out of time."

She starts down the hall, keeping close to Praz and his magic box.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-25, 04:24 PM
The four of you continue under the energy shield of Praz's magic cube, making haste as every passing minute expends its charge. You descend for more than a hundred feet on a gentle slope, the clanging grows louder and the voice begins to notice your approach, "Yes! Down here! Beware the man-monster if'n you've not killed it yet!"

The corridor empties into a dark and musty chamber. It is split into a wide hall running the length of three cells. The bars are spaced slightly wider than you would normally see in a jailhouse in R'Arathis; with some contortions, a slender person might even be capable of squeezing through them. The two far cells are empty, but the nearest holds two figures amongst the detritus of so many translucent crab shells. They wear dirty rags and are hunched and gray-skinned: Orcs.

The one calling out stands awkward at the bars, banging them with a metal jug. One of his legs appears to have been horribly mangled. He continues as the first party member enters the room, "Thank the gods! Free us, free us! We..." The orc looks over at his companion who sits unresponsive against the wall, a vicious dent mars the line of his scalp. "Free me at least! I have much information to trade, seen much—"

The orc trails off as Prince Valin enters the room. He goes quiet and his hopeful expression slides down off his face. He turns to his companion and speaks to him in Orcish, the tone carrying a fatalistic sarcasm. The other just stares off into the middle distance and drools.

Bobthewizard
2020-06-25, 05:30 PM

Miko looks at the orcs with interest. She is not sure about helping orcs, and normally she probably wouldn't, but if they made it to this land they must be more than typical orcs. Besides, maybe not even an orc deserves to die in this smoke in this cursed place.

"We're here to help you. But first, and quickly, how did you get here and what happened to your friend?"

Esprit15
2020-06-25, 06:07 PM
"Hm, guess they went to investigate something else. Seems it's just us up here, Marie." Trix heads back up to the top room, looking around more. Rather curious about the cauldron and not brave enough to taste it herself, Trix looks around for a book or a recipe or something that appears to correlate to the contents.

Kvard51
2020-06-26, 08:00 PM
Valin looks around for keys. Even orcs don't deserve to die in a conflagration like this. "Where are the keys, orc? And are there any others alive? A woman, perhaps?
With short, red hair?"

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-27, 05:24 PM
Miko, Praz, Thogran, and Valin

The orc at the bars narrows his beady eyes in suspicion at the Prince. "The man-monster in the red robes has the keys. No others survived but the Arsonist woman with the freak arm. She starved herself for weeks to slip through the bars. I don't think she made it out."

He goes on to answer Miko's question, but still watches Valin warily. "The man-monster dashed his head against a wall and mangled my leg. We were the lucky ones. The undead claimed the rest of our squad..." The orc takes stock of the smoke beginning to accumulate behind Praz's energy field blocking the hallway up. His tone shifts, "I will speak no more until freed of this cursed place. Along with promises from Prince Orc-Slayer my life will be spared. Only then will I tell all I know. And I know much."

From the way the orc talks and the phrases he uses and what he calls you, you're virtually certain that these two are orcish conscripts of the armies of Rulk.
Trix and Marie

Though Trix finds no papers or journals or any writings up here, you do deduce that all these herbs and roots could not possibly come just from this small, rocky island; the variety is too great. Most must be from the mainland of the western continent. You also find three empty metal vials beside a funnel and brick of sealing wax—ostensibly for when the potion reducing in the cauldron has been completed. Also, in a drawer, you discover a heavy ring from which hangs four large keys—three are plain affairs, but the last is far stranger and more ancient.

Bobthewizard
2020-06-27, 05:37 PM

Knowing that time is of the essence, Miko looks at the orc, "Unless you betray us, your life is spared. You can join us if you want, while we get revenge for you and others on whoever commands the man in the red robe. Or leave on your own once we're on the surface. You will be free to choose. Give me your hand." She reaches into the bars and offers her hand to the orc.

She turns to Valin and Prax, "Leave the other orc and get out. Quickly. Every minute counts. I'll come back for him if I can."

She grabs the orc's hand and they both disappear.

She casts dimension door, taking herself and the orc up to the top of the stairs between the 2nd and 3rd floors above.

Esprit15
2020-06-27, 07:39 PM
”Ooh, mine,” Trix says, grabbing the keys. “Think these will be useful.”

Hm, she did wonder what the potion was for.

(Is Marie still with us?)

Starbin
2020-06-29, 02:19 AM

Praz was silent as the others spoke and asked questions. Given the reputation orcs had, he feared the worst from his companions. He gave a huge smile at Miko’s actions and offer. He waved her on as he considered the bars. ”You go, friend Miko. We’ll make sure this one is okay ... and maybe we can help him, too.”

He turned his attention back to the bars, wondering if it would be better to try and disable the lock or bend the bars. [COLOR="#B22222"]“Friend Valin, can you lend me a hand?”[/COLOR
I’m guessing picking the lock would take longer, so thinking Str check might be the way to go ... maybe w/advantage if Valin can lend a hand?)
[roll0]+7=26

LurkytheDwarf
2020-06-29, 09:40 PM
Thogran, Praz, and Valin

The alert orc gave a brief shrug to his brain-damaged companion and disappeared with Miko. When he did, the remaining orc emits a low groan; the only sign of intelligence to come from him. At Praz's words, "And maybe we can help him," the groaning ceases.

Working together, the minotaur and half-elf manage to bend the already widely-spaced bars enough for Valin at least to slip through and pull out the addled orc... should the prince be so inclined.

The smoke continues to build behind the energy field of Praz's magic cube. Choking to death upon it appears to be the real danger as, beyond the papers and alchemical supplies in the laboratory, there is virtually no fuel in the rest of the subterranean level for the fire to spread.

Trix, Marie, and Miko

Trix takes up the keyring. Both she and Marie hear a conversation begin between Miko and an unfamiliar, gravelly voice from the runic-pillar room below them.

The orc with Miko moves shakily, his mangled leg forcing him to hobble down the stairs. "Months I have been here. The Red-Robe alone is keeper of the lighthouse. Nothing moves here save him, the undead which guard it, and the ghosts which haunt it."

He comes into view of the second-floor chamber, the vast and faded mosaics, and the body of the fallen flesh golem in the red-robes. The orc crows, "Good! Gooooood... But if you've slain the man-monster up here, what did you kill with the explosions in the dungeon?"

Bobthewizard
2020-07-01, 08:57 PM

Miko looks a little confused by the orc's question, but points at the body of the red-robed golem.

"We didn't make any explosions. We were all up here fighting him and the corpses, and I think the explosions happened below about the time we killed him. Any idea why that would happen? None of us are quite sure what's going on here or why we were even called to come here. Wait, did you say ghosts?"

Esprit15
2020-07-02, 12:39 AM
"Might be talking about those weird sounds we have been hearing and feeling as we explored," Trix says as she descends the stairs. "Think the Red-Robe guy was making that his living quarters. Mostly junk, though Thorgan might find the potion brewing up there interesting"

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-02, 06:05 PM
Miko and Trix

The orc hobbles across the second-floor. "Yes, the stinking air and mutterings..." He pauses and looks at Trix, "Lotta half-elves," then continues speaking as he gives the prone form of the red-robed golem a wide birth. "Sometimes, shadow people would come and stare through the bars when they thought we're sleeping. Jumping up and yelled at them once... just once. Thought they'd killed my soul when they ran past me and disappeared. From then on, I pretended not to see them."

The mangled orc spits on the golem as he passes and makes the top of the stairs to the first level. He leans heavily on the wall to aid his movement. " 'Called here?' We weren't called here. The General's lantern led us here—" His beady eyes go wide as he peers into the entry chamber. He claws his way back into the mosaic room. "They're still there! You didn't destroy them all? They'll come alive for no reason and kill us! Especially if you pluck out their eyes!"

Esprit15
2020-07-02, 08:41 PM
Trix’s eyes narrow at the half-elf comment, but lets it pass.

”Those ***** are still alive?” Trix says, grabbing her axe and heading to the stairs.

Bobthewizard
2020-07-02, 08:46 PM

Miko is trying to take in everything he orc is saying.

"Well, Trix figured out a way to get the eyes without them coming back to life. What was the General's lantern?"

Before she gets a response, though, she sees Trix start to head down the stairs by herself. "Wait! I'll help. Let me blast them and you guard the stairs so they don't get up to me."

WhismurWanders
2020-07-04, 11:53 AM
Thogran watches as the smoke closes in and his sense of urgency is increasing with each passing moment. "Grab 'im or leave him, and let's get out of here before the smoke kills us all!"

Starbin
2020-07-04, 12:31 PM

Praz knew the Prince had issues with orcs, but his honor seemed to overcome any reluctance he might have to give aid to a helpless non-combatant. Smiling in encouragement, they managed to help the hapless orc get out of the cell. Once the man was out, he lifted him over one shoulder while holding the cube with his other hand.

He glanced around the levels as they started to make their way back, but frowned at Thogran’s comment. ”Uh, friend dwarf, we are protected by this cube. It will keep the smoke out for now. I think the lab will burn for a bit, then due out, but the smoke may stay for a bit. It would probably be better to go down than up, but perhaps we can go back through the circle of magic?”
Hate to not someone else’s actions, but figure we should press on until Valin is back in action

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-05, 03:33 PM
Praz, Thogran, and Valin

With the husks of translucent crabs crunching underfoot, the party retrieves the addled orc and begin their ascent up the ramp. The smoke is especially thick. By the time they reach the first statue's room, virtually nothing can be seen beyond the smoke at the edge of Praz's energy field... except the ghostly flame which shines from the center of the room. As it did in R'Arathis across the sea, the subtle call beckons them. It never really stopped at all.

The moment of reverie is broken as the chamber thrums with the angry mutterings of a dozen voices but so dense is the gas-filled chamber they cannot perceive the effects of the foul wind. A notion comes to the wizard, prince, and minotaur: this room should not have filled this quickly with the opening up the stairs still allowing the smoke to escape into the lighthouse above.

Working their way along the wall, the party finds the narrow, winding staircase up to the pool basin opening above. It is impossible to see forward until at last, the smoke is pushed around the magic cube's barrier exposing the mirrored surface of the liquid suspended above them. The whirlpool has ceased and the way is shut. Only their eyeless faces look down upon them.

Miko and Trix

The orc hugs the mosaic wall limping away from the stairs slowly. There is undisguised fear on his face. Trix descends with Miko close behind. Halfway down the steps they immediately notice the lack of smoke. There should be much more circling the ceiling of the first-floor chamber of the lighthouse.

The reason is obvious: besides the scattered dust piles and loose eyeballs rolling around the floor, one of the remaining corpses has left its alcove and advanced upon the center basin and hovers over it. The once swirling, mirror-like liquid which exposed the pathway to the dungeon has stopped, leaving the pool flat and still. The corpse looks over at Trix. The remaining four corpses in their alcoves on the far side of the room snap their gaze upon the barbarian chieftain and former pirate as well. None of them move.

Esprit15
2020-07-05, 03:57 PM
”Miko, stay close, let’s focus on one at a time in case they fight back,” Trix says, moving down to the floating corpse and swinging her axe at it. “We can take their eyes after they’re truly dead.”
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Bobthewizard
2020-07-05, 04:00 PM

Miko runs after Trix as she heads down the stairs. She's not sure if she should leave the orc alone right now but hopes that since she just saved it from the fire, the orc won't do anything against us.

"Wait here while we take care of the corpses," she says to him as she leaves.

When she sees the corpse out of its alcove and standing over the pool, she knows she needs to remove it so Thogran, Praz, and Valin can return. Hoping this doesn't wake the other corpses all at once, she stays on the stairs and pulls energy from herself and blasts it at the free corpse.

"Trix, make sure they don't get up to me and I'll try to keep them off of you."

Eldritch Blast on the corpse, both blasts with Repelling Blast (move 10') and the first to hit with Lance of Lethargy (-10' speed next turn).

1st Attack: [roll0] Damage [roll1]

2nd Attack: [roll2] Damage [roll3]

WhismurWanders
2020-07-05, 04:26 PM
Thogran looks up at the closed portal and his mind begins to race with anxiety. If he had been nervous before about the smoke closing in around the box, now he was almost in a panicked state. The portal was only accessable from the other side, as far as he knew. Killing the keeper-thing probably made opening the portal more difficult as well... Fortunately, he rarely went anywhere without preparing a spell which would be ideal for getting them out of here, provided he could reach the ceiling. "I can make a hole in the ceiling, unless either of you two have an idea for reactivating the portal from this side. Just need enough of a boost to reach the stonework."

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-06, 02:06 AM
Trix and Miko

Working together, Trix darts down the stairs and lays into the corpse, unmoving but watchful. She cleaves deep cuts into it with her enchanted axe unhindered by its iron-like hide. Miko follows behind. The former pirate remains high enough on the steps to strike it with her eldritch blast, catapulting it across the chamber to collide with a wall near the open entryway.

The corpse, singed and ruined but still animate, advances upon Trix but the lingering lassitude of Miko's magic hinders it from reaching her. In an uncharacteristic display of intelligence, the mobile corpse realizes this and sets itself into a wary, defensive stance.

The remaining corpses in the alcoves merely look on impassively.

Attacks rolls against the active corpse have disadvantage.

Also, I'm going to need initiative rolls with everybody's actions until the current situation is resolved.

Corpses' Initiative: [roll0]

Bobthewizard
2020-07-06, 05:31 AM

Miko stays on the stairs and again blasts the corpse, "This thing should have died by now.," she says to Trix.

If they kill the corpse this round, she turns to Trix and asks her to finish the others.

"Perhaps you could rip their heads off and collect their eyes like you did before. That didn't wake them up, and otherwise we'll have to keep dealing with them."

Initiative [roll0]

Eldritch Blast on the corpse, both blasts with Repelling Blast (move 10') and the first to hit with Lance of Lethargy (-10' speed next turn).

1st Attack: [roll1] Damage [roll2]

2nd Attack: [roll3] Damage [roll4]

Esprit15
2020-07-06, 11:45 AM
Trix nods, slicing her axe into the undead.
Attack: [roll1] [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Attack: [roll4] [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-07, 01:56 AM
Despite its defensive stance (like some memory from a long-forgotten time), the corpse's movements are still far too ponderous for Trix to miss. Her barrage of axe swings reduces her foe to dust, adding one more pile to the many which litter the first-floor chamber of the lighthouse. From this new pile, another pair of eyes stares dully up at its destroyer.

Each of the remaining corpses in the alcoves look on with dispassion.

The mirrored liquid of the basin in the center of the room is very still and no smoke is penetrating it. Meaning, it is likely building up in the dungeon below... where half of your party remains.

Bobthewizard
2020-07-07, 05:18 AM

Miko walks over and retrieves the eyes from the newly fallen corpse. Then she returns and stays on the stairs to watch over the other corpses in case they wake up and try to attack,

"Trix, you should rip all their heads off and collect their eyes like you did before. Otherwise, they'll wake up once the others try to come back through the pool. I'm tired of having to fight them when we could avoid it."

Esprit15
2020-07-07, 11:31 AM
"Sounds good to me." Trix goes about as she did before, pulling the corpse heads off and removing the eyes. For good measure, she tosses them out of the light house once they eyes are removed.

Starbin
2020-07-07, 11:06 PM

Praz peered up at the ceiling through the smoke, frowning as he considered the situation. He shrugged to Thogran’s suggestion. ”If you think that’s the best plan, sure. We need more eyes ... or we could go back down below the lab ... since smoke rises, it would probably be better further down. ”
Praz is good with the spell ... and can lift up anyone as necessary. If you want to save a spell a lot, we can retreat....

Kvard51
2020-07-07, 11:13 PM
"I think we should go further in and look for a way out. I still hope to find Jax so I can return her to Alambar to be properly buried." Valin says, looking at the others to gauge their reactions. "If your spell will hold, that is."

WhismurWanders
2020-07-08, 10:00 AM
Thogran doesn't want to openly disagree, but reminds the pair, "We searched every inch of this place the first time we were here. I'd feel safer with at least a way to vent the smoke in case there's no other exit."

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-09, 01:47 AM
By a two-to-one margin, it is decided by the party members beneath the mirrored pool to at least have the option of an escape. So with Praz's assistance, Thogran uses his dwarven instincts to find the proper positioning for his spell. When he does so, the alchemist casts his stone shape and a wide chute less than three feet long is created in one wall of the narrow staircase. It leads to a newly formed trap door beside the basin on the first floor of the lighthouse.

Opening it for a quick scout reveals Miko in the room halfway up the steps and Trix hard at work wrenching the head off one of the passive corpses in an alcove. Praz's energy field is currently the only thing preventing the building smoke of the dungeon level from spilling into the room.

As Thogran peers around both he and Miko watch the three undisturbed corpses' mouths gape open, their eyes bulging. Just as quickly their faces contract into undisguised fury. They lurch forward.

Trix has made it about halfway in tearing off the head of the corpse she is working on. But beneath the chieftain's hands, where once was just an unresistant weightiness, the whole thing goes rigid and unyielding. It is this which may give her the chance to dodge the rotting fist striking for her heart...

[roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning damage and [roll2] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.
I will need initiative in posts until this combat is resolved... in whatever manner. There will be a map in the OOC thread soon.

Corpses:[roll3]

Esprit15
2020-07-09, 08:01 AM
The hand thankfully bounces off of her armor. She drops the corpse and goes for a pair of swings at the zombie. ”Okay, note to self: Chop the heads off.”

[roll0]

Bobthewizard
2020-07-09, 08:05 AM

"Look out Trix!," she yells.

Miko backs up the stairs as much as she can while still keeping an eye on the lower level, shooting bolts of magic to try to protect Trix.

Initiative [roll0]

Eldritch Blast on the corpse attacking Trix, both blasts with Repelling Blast (move 10') and the first to hit with Lance of Lethargy (-10' speed next turn). If that one drops, or if Trix is in the way, she moves around counterclockwise.

Kvard51
2020-07-11, 05:47 AM
"I did not realize we had seen the end, but I was focused on freeing the orcs.
If you are certain we have explored the full extent ot the dungeons, then we must go up and seek our companions." Valin says to Thogran.

Initiative w/ advantage: [roll0]
[roll1]

Starbin
2020-07-11, 05:00 PM

Praz helped Thogran then lifted up each person to exit the billowing smoke. One out, he handed up the hurt orc and climbed out himself, closing the door behind him and turning off his cube.

Looking around, he called out, ”Hail Miko and Trixie ... what in the Abyss?”
[roll0] for initial roll since I don’t anticipate attacking just yet.
Effects:

WhismurWanders
2020-07-12, 06:47 PM
Thogran climbs up into the room above, and upon the sight of more combat, launches a gout of cold at the nearest moving corpse before running away from the action.

Casting Ray of Frost: [roll1] for [roll2]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-12, 09:21 PM
Praz the Minotaur pushes or hauls those in his group to the first floor of the lighthouse. The heavy, stone trap door slams shut sealing away the smoke and chaos of the dungeon below. But yet even here a new struggle presents itself...

The reunited party watches as Trix lands one solid blow on a partially decapitated corpse. It is followed up by Miko's eldritch blasts which slam the undead into its alcove once, twice, then it explodes into dust. She backs up the stairs near to their apex, and sparing a brief glimpse into the mosaic room, sees something disconcerting...

The orc with the crippled leg is not in the second-floor chamber.
Thogran wide-eyed at the looming threat of the remaining corpses fires a beam of frost which goes wide as he scrambles up the stairs behind the former pirate.

The corpses advance on those nearest. The prince, minotaur, and chieftain threatened by their rotting fists.

[roll3] for [roll4] bludgeoning damage and [roll5] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save with Valin's +5 save bonus.
[roll6] for [roll7] bludgeoning damage and [roll8] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.
https://i.ibb.co/mRY13ht/SPFight3.png

Kvard51
2020-07-13, 03:27 AM
Con dc12:

Valin grunts as the ragged claws connect. But he leans into the blow, bringing his Sunblade down at an angle across the corpse' torso, then reversing direction with a slash across the abdomen.

Attack: for 1d8+9 and radiant damage.
Extra Attack: for 1d8+9 and [roll4] radiant damage.

If I kill my attacker, I will circle around and prepare to attack the one next to Trix. If not, I will stay and finish the one I'm attacking now.

Kvard51
2020-07-13, 03:30 AM
Since I screwed up the damage roll AND forgot initiative, I will roll those here.

Initiative w/ ADV: [roll0] and [roll1]

1st damage:[roll2] radiant damage.

2nd damage:[roll3] radiant damage.

(that's 34 total Radiant damage if both attacks hit.)

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-13, 03:42 AM
From your battle last time with these corpses, you know it takes ~60 damage to drop one. Also, I'm pretty certain Praz just dropped last round from the hit he took. This might be the time to pile on with Smite damage (with that addition +1d8 because they are undead).

Edit: By that I mean you can retroactively add Smite damage to these attacks just made. Assuming Valin is still standing this round to actually make those attacks. And if not, then those slots wouldn't be spent.
Corpses:[roll0]

Bobthewizard
2020-07-13, 05:20 AM

"Welcome back guys!," she yells, but immediately sees Praz fall under the attack of one of the corpses. She maneuvers on the stairs to get a clean shot and tries to push the corpse away from Praz.

Miko is glad to see the others arrive. Their timing is perfect since all of the corpses just woke up.

Initiative [roll0]

Edit: Based on Praz going down to the last round's attacks, Mike will attack that corpse and try to drive it away. She tries to stay at the top of the stairs but moves down if needed to get a better shot.

Eldritch Blast on the corpse attacking Praz, then Valin's, then Trix's, both blasts with Repelling Blast to move it 10' back each, the first blast that hits with Lance of Lethargy (-10' speed next turn). If that one drops, or if she can't get a good shot, she moves around in the order above.

Starbin
2020-07-13, 09:29 AM

Praz doesn't stand a chance. As soon as he clambered up one of the dead made straight for him and attack, it's mighty blows dropping the huge wounded minotaur instantly.
Jeez, enter a room and get squashed. These things have 60 hps? Yeesh ... that's almost as much as I have. I thought Praz was tough, but these things hit harder, do different types of damage, add a fear affect, and are almost as tough. Good luck y'all :smallbiggrin:
[roll0] vs DC 12 ... and my first [roll1]
HPs: 0/68 AC: 17 Initiative +3, Pass Dex: 16
Effects:

WhismurWanders
2020-07-13, 12:17 PM
Thogran unleashes a barrage of magical bolts, swirling blobs which seem to be almost liquid as they spiral through the air at their targets. The fight needed to end quickly, and Thogran was under the impression that these undead were going to take a lot of punishment.

Casting Level 3 Magic Missile: [roll1]x5=10 force damage
All the bolts target the undead which knocked down Praz

Esprit15
2020-07-14, 06:25 PM
"Praz, get up NOW!" Trix shouts to the minotaur, healing magic laced into her words. "You die when we give you permission to die!" she adds as she hacks at the undead creature.
Bonus Action: Healing Word - [roll0]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-14, 11:46 PM
Due to the corpses going before a major portion of the party this time, I'm going to break my end of round summary into TWO posts.

Praz has fallen and the corpses battle tempo has markedly increased. Miko slips down the stairs, firstly to shield her scholarly dwarven comrade, but more so to line up a perfect shot on the undead standing over the downed minotaur. The former pirate's eldritch blasts land true, blasting the creature across the room and back into one of the alcoves.

Even still, that corpse continues its relentless advance. It appears to strike out for Miko at first, but the restricting energies of her magic slow its progress. Seeing it cannot cross the distance, the undead joins its comrade in attacking Trix with their rotting fists.

for [roll1] bludgeoning damage and [roll2] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

[roll]1d20+5 for [roll3] bludgeoning damage and [roll4] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.
Simultaneously, halfway across the chamber, the third corpse lays into the Prince of Alambar.

[roll5] for [roll6] bludgeoning damage and [roll7] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-15, 12:16 AM
This is the attack roll for the second set of damage that didn't resolve in the last post. [roll0] If it hits, apply the previous damage (20) and make the DC 12 Con save.
With the change in momentum in the battle, Valin is knocked out before he can initiate his maneuvers. The corpse which felled him advances past the prone paladin and disregards the brain-damaged orc, who rolls/crawls out of its way huddling in an alcove in drooling terror. The undead makes the base of the stairs and looms now over Miko, the usually blank eyes filled with contempt.

Even as the prince goes down, Trix is in the midst of a furious axe swings and shouting healing words at Praz which sees the minotaur's eyes open (currently at 9 hp). The chieftain's axe slices deep cuts into the smoking corpse hit by Miko's spell. It is beginning to teeter.

Thogran's magic missiles scatter across the chamber before converging on the damaged corpse. And while the spell blows large chunks of the creature away leaving it in shambles, the exact configuration is suboptimal: the undead still possesses its legs, a spine, and one arm from which to wield its rotting fist.

If anyone had a reaction ability which could increase Valin's AC or grant him 8+ hp, I can retroactively add his turn back in, otherwise I need a death save for the turn from him.

While I had already felt this effect in the first battle, its noticeable here maybe for the first time that with this version of initiative it's possible for individuals to go twice before another person's round comes up. Its sort of an intended-unfortunate side effect. While not applicable to this situation with Valin (because of his shield), making sure you get to go first in an important round might be a really good use of Inspiration.

https://i.ibb.co/cTxpKKS/SPFight3.png

Corpses: [roll1] initiative.

Bobthewizard
2020-07-15, 05:04 AM

Seeing both Praz and Valin go down to the corpses, Miko realizes they are more powerful than she thought. We need to buy ourselves some time. Fighting three at once is too much for what strength we have left.

"Be gone!," she yells at the corpse in front of her.

Initiative [roll0]

She casts Banishment on the corpse in front of her. DC17 CHA save or banished for one minute.

Here's the roll without modifiers. [roll1]

(If my initiative is low and the map changes, I might change this action)

Esprit15
2020-07-15, 10:28 PM
"Valin! You too! Up and at 'em! No siestas in the middle of a battle!" Trix roars at her fallen partymate, slashing at the already injured undead. "Why don't corpses have the sense to stay! Dead!" she shouts, pausing with each swing.
Healing Word - [roll0]

Starbin
2020-07-16, 12:53 PM

Praz's eyes fluttered open as he hears Miko's voice echoing in his ears. Why was everyone around him standing on the walls? And why did he taste iron? After a moment, the realization struck home and slowly pulled himself back to reality. With a grunt, he stood, axe in hand, eyeing the group of opponents around him. Another blow and he would drop again ... but he couldn't just retreat. After a moment's hesitation, Praz elected to heal himself and hope that Miko's spell would work ...
Hmmm ... not sure Praz can afford to fight these things immediately. Given they've been pretty lucky in hitting and do 5d6+3 with every blow, Praz is down unless Lurky rolls all 1s. So for the moment, discretion will reign. Curious, does flanking provide advantage on attacks, or is it circumstantial?

[roll0]Casting cure light wounds at level 2 on self ... I think I can do that w/o causing and AOO, right?
[roll1]

HPs: 9/68 AC: 17 Initiative +3, Pass Dex: 16
Spells: 1 - (3/4 slots) alarm, hunter's guide, cure light wounds / 2 - (2/3 slots) darkvision, pass w/o trace
Effects:

WhismurWanders
2020-07-16, 04:06 PM
Thogran unleashes a stronger barrage of arcane flares throughout the room. This fight was getting messier with each passing moment, and there couldn't be any holding back now.

Level 4 Magic Missile.

2 at the injured corpse (if he's still standing, if not it joins its friends)
The rest at the corpse closest to Thogran
[roll1]x6

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-16, 11:10 PM
Trix encourages Valin with healing words and the prince's eyes open (currently at 6 hp). The first swing of her magic axe cleaves the brittle corpse in twain and it collapses into dust. The momentum of her weapon collides with the next enemy, and though it sinks deeply into the iron-like flesh, the corpse is undeterred.

Thogran, seeing the odds even up for Trix, levels another volley of his force bolts against the undead pressing down upon him and Miko. The sturdy, desiccated creature is rocked by the many impacts.

With her wounded comrades still at the feet of the undead glowering down at her, Miko unleashes a more powerful warlock spell. The corpse twists and folds almost disappearing... before snapping back into reality again, almost as if its duty is too great for it to be even temporarily imprisoned (save roll in OOC thread).

Praz, taking advantage of the corpse's momentary distraction, steels himself with the strongest healing magics he can muster. Then the minotaur continues his disabled charade to wait for his moment to strike.

Both corpses remain in relatively decent shape and they press their attacks against Miko and Trix. Their terrible rotting fists raining down upon them.

[roll3] for [roll4] bludgeoning damage and [roll5] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save with Valin's +5 save bonus.
So with the rules we're using there aren't AOOs for spellcasting (all ranged attacks get disadvantage if within melee range though), or for standing up (it just uses half your movement), but there's also no flanking bonus. You are free to move anywhere inside your opponent's melee reach, but if you leave it (voluntarily with your own movement speed) then that is about the only time an AOO happens.

https://i.ibb.co/nzm6z7r/SPFight3.png

Corpses Initiative: [roll6]

Kvard51
2020-07-17, 01:27 AM
Valin's eyes snap open, but the blood in his eyes makes it hard to see. He rolls away from the undead who felled him, calling upon his magic to restore him from blows of the brutes. Standing, he prepares for the onslaught that is sure to come.

Roll 15 ft away from his assailant, cast Cure Wounds as a 2nd level spell [roll0], then stands.

Initiave: [roll1], ADV [roll2]

Bobthewizard
2020-07-17, 07:18 AM

Almost knocked over by the corpse's attack, Miko catches her breath, slides a little to her right and shoots two bolts of force at the corpse, trying to knock it into the trapdoor that Thogran created.

"Get away from me!," she yells at it.

Initiative [roll0]

attack 1: [roll1] disadvantage: [roll2] damage: [roll3]

attack 2: [roll4] disadvantage: [roll5] damage: [roll6]

Uses repelling blast on both attacks. Uses lance of lethargy if one hits.

Esprit15
2020-07-17, 09:32 AM
Trix gives a laugh as the undead fails to hit her, retaliating with two more swings of her axe. ”Praz! Watch your back, there! I can’t keep you up every time you get laid out!”

Bardic Inspiration on Praz (1d10). Reminder that this can also be used to boost your AC or damage

Starbin
2020-07-17, 11:11 AM

With a few of his wounds healed, Praz's eyes narrowed upon the foe harrying Miko. He ignored Trixie's banter, focusing on marking his foe, then raising his axe with the intent to return this undead monster back to the land of the dead.
Casting Hunter's Mark on closest foe as a bonus action. Then attack twice!
[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]+[roll3]+[roll4]
[roll5], [roll6]+[roll7]+[roll8]

HPs: 9/68 AC: 17 Initiative +3, Pass Dex: 16
Spells: 1 - (2/4 slots) alarm, hunter's guide, cure light wounds / 2 - (2/3 slots) darkvision, pass w/o trace
Effects:

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-19, 12:18 AM
Valin rolls away from the animated corpse and tags himself with the greatest healing magic at his disposal. Reinvigorated he leaps to his feet, Sun Blade in hand.

The undead ignores the prince and brings yet another rotting fist down upon Miko just as its partner attempts to do the same to the wily barbarian chieftain.

Trix shouts inspiring words to Praz (+1d10 bardic inspiration for one Atk/SV/DMG roll, or AC for one attack) and deals her enemy two mighty blows. The corpse still stands.

Undeterred, Miko slips into the nearest alcove to angle the perfect shot. Her eldritch blasts rocket the undead across the breadth of the chamber, slamming it into likely the very alcove it came lurching out of.

Praz, rewarded for his patience, jumps up and strikes out at the only undead in range, doubling up with Trix against her foe. Though one stroke of his greatsword glances off the steely flesh, the other sinks in deeply leaving the corpse staggered and partially bisected.

Taking it all in, Thogran casts a minor spell of cold against the corpse Miko sent sailing. And while the chilling effects of the spell dealt little damage, it did freeze the undead's feet to the floor which combined with the lethargic energies of the warlock's own magic seems to have fixed the creature in place entirely.

https://i.ibb.co/yVz44Nb/SPFight3.png

Corpses' Initiative: [roll6]

Esprit15
2020-07-19, 01:22 AM
Trix continues to gracefully dodge every attack directed her way, slamming her axe into the undead's face with a grin and a laugh. If she destroys it, she rushes up to the other one.

Bobthewizard
2020-07-19, 06:58 AM

Miko dodges under the corpse's attack before blasting it into the alcove on the far side of the room. She's happy to see Thogran join in and help keep it from moving out. Excited to see the synergy in their magic, Miko cheers on Thogran as she walks back up the steps.

"Let's do that again! If we can keep it pinned in the alcove, we should be able to safely kill it from here."

Initiative [roll0]

attack 1: [roll1] damage: [roll2] add 6 for Crit from OOC

attack 2: [roll3] damage: [roll4]

Use lance of lethargy if one hits. Use repelling blast on both attacks.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-20, 06:10 AM
Reacting far quicker than either the remaining undead, Trix and Miko work together to finish them off. The Chieftain of the Mountian Tribes completes the bisection Praz began on their shared opponent before bounding off to sink her axe into the corpse restrained in the alcove by the dwarf and former pirate's magic. Miko follows up from the top of the stairs with an especially powerful eldritch blast which comes screaming in over Trix's head and reduces the final corpse to dust. As she does so, there is another rumbling from deep beneath the lighthouse and the open archway of the entrance momentarily floods with the ghostly light from the bonfire atop the tower. Then all settles to quiet...

The party is together in the first-level chamber of the lighthouse. Almost every surface is covered now in the remnant dust of so many slain undead. About ten pairs of eyeballs (still managing to glare) are scattered about the room. The mirror pool and Thogran's trapdoor seal away the dungeon level fire and smoke from flooding the tower.
The fire below is expected to continue for at least an hour or more and then it will take a few more hours for the smoke to settle.
The tower levels above you contain the following: 2nd Floor—Four large windows, giant mosaic telling a grand story not yet deciphered (which anybody can do, it just takes time); 3rd Floor—Four large windows, giant pillar carved with big and small runes; 4th Floor—Many smaller windows with crude curtains, alchemical work station, potion brewing in cauldron (alchemist tools', arcana to figure out its purpose), dirty mirror, broken complex lantern.
Through the windows to the west, across a mile of choppy sea, there is a massive city carved from the side of the coastal mountains, ruined and dark except for a few spots of light among the spires.
Though the brain-damaged orc from the jail is sitting in one of the alcoves drooling, Miko noticed during the battle that the orc with the crippled leg which was left in the second-floor mosaic room has disappeared.

What are the party members doing?

All told, you used [roll0] charges from the cube during the foray into the smoke-filled dungeon.

Bobthewizard
2020-07-20, 10:56 AM

Miko gathers the eye balls and distributes them so everyone gets two, keeping the rest. She leaves the orc in the alcove with some food and water before walking up to the second floor.

"Everyone keep a pair of eyes in case you need them later. Let's leave this orc here for now until we return from the tower. I suggest we rest and tend our wounds in the room upstairs before exploring the tower."

Do we see any place the other orc could have gone to besides up into the tower? Otherwise, I'm up for taking a short rest in the mosaic room on the second floor.

Esprit15
2020-07-20, 08:49 PM
Trix pockets yet another set of eyes. "Unless people need to rest and recover, I'm going to take a look at that mural and see if I can get something from it."
I suspect I cannot sing a song of rest while investigating the mural

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-21, 10:57 AM
Do we see any place the other orc could have gone to besides up into the tower? Otherwise, I'm up for taking a short rest in the mosaic room on the second floor.

The second through fourth floors do all have windows. But there's no sign the windows on the second floor have been tampered with.

I suspect I cannot sing a song of rest while investigating the mural

Yeah, you can. There's no text, just imagery. It's really just like a big painting with Hieronymus Bosch–level detail, across all the walls of a 35 ft. diameter room. So, it's going to take a couple of hours to parse through it all.

WhismurWanders
2020-07-21, 11:08 AM
Thogran goes to follow Trix. "If you don't mind me joining you," he states plainly, eager to get away from the corpses. He had begun gleaning information from the murals before all the distractions had occurred, and he was eager to delve back into possibly forgotton lore.

Bobthewizard
2020-07-21, 11:42 AM

Miko rests in the mural room while the smarter party members try to decipher its meaning.

"I'll be in the back of the room. I'm going to lie down for a minute and then have some lunch."

attempting a short rest

Starbin
2020-07-21, 06:04 PM

Praz rumbled with approval when the others dispatched the remaining undead. Rubbing his wounds for a moment, he peered around the room, then asked "Where did the other orc go? And is there anything else here?" The minotaur was fine with resting for a spell, but he didn't want to be worried about a disgruntled prisoner or unknown threat slipping a blade between his ribs. Leaning up against a wall for a moment, he nodded to Trixie. "Thank you for the timely heal. It helped! Now let's see what this picture is all about ..."
Willing to short rest ... and peruse the mural for a few moments. Of course if its boring, Praz will look out the windows at the town. How are we going to get their?
Taking 3 HD [roll0] - EDIT: I think this should be a total of 26 ...
HPs: 51/68 AC: 17 Initiative +3, Pass Dex: 16
Spells: 1 - (2/4 slots) alarm, hunter's guide, cure light wounds / 2 - (2/3 slots) darkvision, pass w/o trace
Effects:

Kvard51
2020-07-22, 02:39 AM
Valin sighs, glad this fight is over. "I'm going to need some time to rest. I took a beating here. I'll nap while you explore."

Using 4 HD to increase my hp's back up to a reasonable level, since I am at 24...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-22, 06:06 AM
Wearied from their exploration and the pressure of intense combat, the party camps out in the second floor of the lighthouse. While some recline and refresh themselves, others only take a few quick bites of a ration before beginning to pour over the vast mosaic which wraps itself around the walls of the round chamber. Starting at different points, and comparing notes frequently, Thogran, Trix, and Praz manage as a team in as little as an hour to piece together a truly epic tale...

Elves, Dwarves, and Men lived in a City by an Endless Sea. The City was older than them and already the titanic statues resided on the mountaintops above.
From the art of the City, the Elves, Dwarves, and Men concluded a race of beautiful Giants crafted the city and statues but also believed them to be the reason for the Sun and Stars. Long ago these Giants retreated into the interior of the continent in the Cursed West, never to be seen by mortal eyes.
But the Tools of the Giants lay scattered in the vaults of the City. Great vats and crystalline matrices, and flasks of some kind of Elemental Darkness. Men in Red Robes took up the study of these devices.
One day a Star fell to earth impacting on a rocky island off the coast from the City. It glowed for days from its crater with a Ghostly Light. Its intensity blotted out the Sun and Horizons. It slowly drove the Elves, Dwarves, and Men to madness.
The Red-Robed Order made plans and went to the island, and when they climbed to the top of the crater with their various tools and gazed upon what lay within, their eyes burst into flames and melted down their faces. Only their Leader continued their mission and held forth a flask of the Elemental Darkness and a huge quantity flowed from the tiny vessel to create a lake that covered the Fallen Star and its maddening light.
With the crisis averted, the Leader went back to his vats and arcane engines, and though blinded himself, crafted Perpetual Eyes to replace those which had been lost among the Order.
The lake of Elemental Darkness did not last forever. It began to boil, being consumed by the ravenous Fallen Star. The Red-Robed Order crafted the massive network of runes, working earthen magic to seal over the lake and build atop it a tower where a central Capstone could be put into place and bind the Fallen Star to the rocky island.
And for many generations it was successful. And the Red-Robed Order kept forever vigilant, preserved beyond old age by their understanding of the Tools of the Giants.
During this time, the Curse of the West had begun to creep into the lands surrounding the City. The sky grew overcast and crops and animals died. Some feared the Giants had finally met their end in the continent's interior. Expeditions were sent, but none returned.
As this growing doom reached the sea and spread its tendrils toward the Tower of the Red-Robed Order, the Fallen Star was revived. It caused frequent tremors. The runes no longer could hold it alone.
The Leader, now an ancient man with a long white beard (and a perfect match for the first statue in the dungeon level), came up with a plan and scaling the tower crafted a new series of runes into its pinnacle. From these sprung a great gout of the Ghostly Flame and the tremors subsided. (Here, Thogran speculates this worked much like the release valve on one of the pressurized drums used in alchemy. It sapped just enough of the Fallen Star's energy to keep it contained.)
There was an unintended side effect, the Ghostly Flame in this reduced form, shined a path across the Endless Sea to an unknown land to the east—possible salvation from the decay of their continent.
Ships began to leave, slowly at first, then gradually increasing til Elves, Dwarves, and Men departed in great migrations. They took little but their lives, fearing to carry anything which might infect the wasting Western Curse of their homeland on this new world.
The majority of the Red-Robed Order departed last for the Eastern Lands. Their members bore the crest of the Ziggurat and the Star, charged with finding a cure and returning. Only those elders with the Perpetual Eyes (the original binders of the Fallen Star) remained behind, waiting for a rescue which never came.
(At this point, the mosaic becomes much more crude, almost childlike in comparison to the detail and art of the rest.) Eventually, their craft no longer preserved the lives of those who stayed. They started dying off and were mummified and placed in alcoves.
The Leader, fearing what would happen without a Keeper, decided to craft one. And a Man-Thing was grown from bits of flesh and given a heart of jewels and chemicals. Half of the Order was pleased with this, while the others looked on in disgust.
Still, the members died one by one, and one by one were mummified and placed in the alcoves. Until only the Leader and his Creation remained, whom he endeavored to teach as much of their ways as he could before the end. Most lessons ended in failure. Upon his deathbed, the Leader gave the creation a red robe, then he too was mummified and placed in the last alcove from where their still living Perpetual Eyes watch over the lighthouse.

Esprit15
2020-07-22, 08:23 PM
Trix sings a Sylvan song as she examines the mural and the rest of the party takes their time to relax. For those who understand the language, it is a song about the birth of the world as it is understood by the fae in the area of the world where Trix hails from. As she reaches the end of the song, she begins to instead sing about the mural's contents, more mumbling aloud than attempting to actively explain it at first. The songs have a particularly calming effect on those present.

♪The three races of man, for aeons past, lived peaceably 'neath the shadows cast♫
♪By statues tall and mountains wide, and took shelter the City by the seaside♪
♫Said one, "These statues, the sun, and the stars, must have been made by hands far greater than ours.♫
♪And yet, such giants don't walk among us - they fled deeper into the west and its curse."♪
♫They left all their tools, their crystals and Dusk, and the races of men sought to learn from these husks.♫

♪...♫

Wait. Is this saying that our continent was peopled with the fleeing inhabitants of Z'Palno? What did that mean for the creation stories? Were they just lies passed down to keep knowledge of the West a secret? No, that's ridiculous. They could have just been people who the gods placed on another continent. Right? The chieftain shakes her head. "Shame we couldn't speak more peacefully to the robed man. He might have had a wealth of knowledge to share.

"And if the city was abandoned, then what were those lights coming from the city? More orcs? The mural didn't note them at all." This story was strangely incomplete.
Song of Rest: You all heal an additional d10 for taking a short rest.

WhismurWanders
2020-07-23, 01:50 PM
"Shame we couldn't speak more peacefully to the robed man. He might have had a wealth of knowledge to share.

"And if the city was abandoned, then what were those lights coming from the city? More orcs? The mural didn't note them at all."

"Maybe more creations like the robed-thing we killed? They made one, who's to say they didn't make more? Maybe even some kind of creations leftover from these 'giants' the mural mentions." Thogran's mind was whirling with all that the mural revealed. They had only been sitting here an hour, and had probably only scratched the surface of what the mural's message meant for R'Arathian history, sciences, and possibly even religion. There was so much to be annotated and cross-referenced... The dwarf sighed as his thoughts drifted to his library back with his laboratory in House Aeducan. With a veritable armory of histories he could make more sense of the story told here, but without it he was resigned to taking his own notes. He transcribed what he could to the parchments he had brought with him and made sure to stow his notes safely among his things.

Starbin
2020-07-26, 01:51 AM

Praz stroked the small beard on his chin thoughtfully. As the others offered thoughts, he asked two simple questions. "Whete did my kind come from? And is this Star the reason for the sickness?"

If this place was the home of the Old Ones, and they were known to have stopped the wasting, what did that mean now that they were gone? And if the very gods themselves could not stop this, how could a small group of would-be heroes?

Moving to state out over the waters at the scant lights across the strange city, Praz grunted, "Do you think any surviving Robes live there?"
Still here!
HPs: 56/68 AC: 17 Initiative +3, Pass Dex: 16
Effects:

Kvard51
2020-07-26, 03:01 AM
Valin, waking from his badly needed nap, hears Praz' musing question about the Red Robes. "I don't think there are any of them left. Else, why build a false man and give it a robe?"

Esprit15
2020-07-26, 08:56 AM
"Well, we can speculate, or we can explore more. Thogran, you want to take a look at the alchemical supplies higher up before we check out this village?"

WhismurWanders
2020-07-26, 09:22 AM
Thogran looks up somewhat excitedly, almost like a dog who hears the word 'food' or 'walks'. "Is there a potion which needs decocting? Perhaps some foreign ingredients? Lead the way lass!" He hadn't been all the way upstairs, and the presence of another workstation separate from the alchemical lab they had discovered in the dungeons was intriguing. A site with more ritual meaning? Access to the moon and sky for the treatment of special materials? He would find out soon enough.

Bobthewizard
2020-07-26, 10:19 AM

After resting, Miko gives the cloak over to Valin, gives Thogran the scrolls, and follows Thogran up the stairs. She's curious to see if there are any more clues in the upper floors of the tower.

"You guys can probably make better use of these than me. Let's see if we can find you some potions, Thogran. The orc might have run up the stairs so let's be careful. If that ungrateful dog attacks us I'll be so mad."

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-26, 02:03 PM
Rested and better informed about the nature of the lighthouse, the party again takes the stairs to the upper levels. At each, through the western facing windows, you spot the ruined City of the Ancients from the mosaic—tall towers carved from the slope of the coastal mountain chain. Here and there are scattered pinpoints of light about the dark stone, shining through the shadow and gloom of Z'Palno's overcast daytime.

You reach the third floor and see an unwelcome sight... Same as before, at the chamber's center, is the fat column covered in runes big and small. The larger ones are the same as those which cover the surface of the rocky island, and from the mosaic the party recognized this as the Capstone of the Fallen Star's binding spell. These runes are leaking miniature tongues of the ghostly flame, each lasting only a second before extinguishing. Trix points out the column was not doing that when she was up here a little over an hour ago.

You also notice that the smaller sigils which cover the column do not necessarily deal with the binding spell (they are also not leaking ghostly flame) and may require further study to glean their purpose.
Perhaps spurred by this, the party pushes on to the fourth floor to better know their surroundings. It is at once much the same yet different from before. Cramped with clutter, the many windows are now bare of their makeshift curtains. And from the long table filled with strange potted plants, jars of dust and powders, and tiny figurines carved from driftwood, a length of curtain-fashioned rope has been tied and leads out one of the windows.

The rest is the same with the small mirror, blackened with age, still hanging upon the wall; the badly damaged ornate and sophisticated bullseye lantern still lies beneath it. The cauldron still bubbles from its place above the embers, except where once there were three vials beside it, there are only two. The once fresh wax stick which was to be used to seal them is partially melted.

To your shock, the broken, ornate lantern on the floor is a near match for the one in the possession of Captain Stormchaser (gifted to him by "the Devil" who appeared in the guise of a dark-haired beauty). It led only to the Dragonreach Isles of which you remember that dread voyage. The only difference is that Stormchaser's lantern was of a more standard type while this one is clearly of the bullseye variety.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-26, 02:11 PM
You specifically remember that the now missing orc with the crippled leg said his group were not called to Z'Palno, and before be startled by the corpses in the first level he had started saying something like, "The General's lantern led us here."

Starbin
2020-07-26, 05:11 PM

Most of what he saw on the floors above meant little to him, but when Praz saw the lantern, he froze. He glanced around, as if expecting something to appear, then slowly circled the object, eyes fixed on it. "I’ve seen that lantern before ... or at least it’s mate. Captain Stormchaser used it to lead us to the accursed Dragonreach Isles.” He spit to the side and tugged the sailor’s hoop on his left ear three times.

"It was a gift from the Devil herself and almost cost us all our lives. Why is that here?"
Cue foreboding music ... or maybe it’s been playing the whole time and I just noticed it.
Effects:

Bobthewizard
2020-07-28, 12:13 PM

Miko remembers what the injured orc said.

"Before he disappeared, the orc told us that 'The General's lantern led us here.' This is probably that lantern. But why are these things calling us to this place?"

Kvard51
2020-07-29, 12:20 AM
"It seems clear that we are drawn, for good and for ill, to this place to finish what began millenia ago. It would seem we are to be pitted against this power of annihilation, and whatever forces it can gather, to vie for the world itself." Valin stares out the window towards the "abandoned" city as he answers Miko, wrapping Jax' cloak around himself without really being aware of it. "We need to take what we can from this place and head to the city to join the fray."

Starbin
2020-07-29, 03:58 PM

Praz frowned at the others. "Well, the Captain’s lantern didn’t bring us here. But this one brought orcs ... mAnd our dreams brought us here. But if the light comes from a fallen star that drives all mad, why would it call us? And why do you think the city is where the fight is?"
Praz is confused ... and so is Starbin!
Effects:

Kvard51
2020-07-30, 05:46 AM
Valin looks back at the minotaur. "I don't have the answers, Praz. As for the city, it's just the next logical step. There is nothing else here, there are lights in an abandoned city, and we were all called here for something. Now we discover that something far larger than we are is at work? It only follows that the city is our next step." He looks out the window again, "And we need to get started, don't you think?"

WhismurWanders
2020-07-30, 10:40 AM
Thogran had been testing the potions when he hears that the others are ready to move on. "Just need a few more moments..." he says as he focuses on the task at hand, wondering what the results will show him.

Investigation: [roll0]
Alchemy: [roll1]

Bobthewizard
2020-07-30, 10:49 AM

Miko walks over to the tables and offers Thogran a couple suggestions, looking around at the ingredients.

"That doesn't look right. Here maybe try this one. Does that look better?"

Help action for Thogran's Investigation if allowed [roll0] (rolled Thogran's advantage here)

I don't think I can help with alchemy since it's a tool and I'm not proficient.

LurkytheDwarf
2020-07-30, 11:27 AM
As Valin and Praz discuss the party's future direction, Miko and Thogran work together to go over the room. First, it is apparent that the orc with the crippled leg was a bit sprier then he had let on, and a bit more cunning, too. The dwarf and former pirate follow the rope made from the torn down curtains out the window, and peering down the side of the lighthouse can see it stops a good fifteen feet from ground level. Still, there is no sign of the orc anywhere among the bare rocks below.

Both of the investigators return to the workstation and come to the same conclusion as Trix from before, that this wide a variety of ingredients could not come from the island alone. Furthermore, Thogran notes that these elements and herbs come from a wide array of geographies—mountaintops to swamps, etc. It strikes all three of you as strange to think that the Golem-Keeper would range so far from the lighthouse.

Thogran is quite perplexed by the brewing potion. While it's made in a much older style than his modern methods, the dextrous combination of ingredients hints at an alchemical mind perhaps greater than the dwarf's own. Still, he can attest that it will finish reducing in perhaps twelve hours (with enough to produce two doses), at which time anyone will be able to figure out its properties with a slight sip. It does bare wondering in the meantime though what sort of concoction would appeal to golems and undead.

But confused as he is right now by the potion, Thogran can stay as utter fact: If the orc took some of this brew in its current state with the missing third vial, it will not have the desired effect. Indeed, its effects could be quite disastrous.

Starbin
2020-07-30, 05:25 PM

Praz shrugged. "I 'spose so. I just wish I understood what was going on ... but if it were easy, it'd probably be done already, yeah?" Peering around, Praz noticed the rope leading down, frowning as he peered at the drop below. "Hey, if that orc was lying about his leg ... maybe he lied about other stuff? Maybe he hit the other orc ..." Praz went to check on the other orc, a spell of healing at hand, if it was possible to help cure him.
Should've done this before. Of course, I wonder if there is some soul transference going on here ... would be interesting if the orc had been taken over by our golem friend. Or at least possessed by some bit of the light.
Effects:

Bobthewizard
2020-07-30, 05:32 PM

After helping Thogran, Miko turns to Valin. She's ready to get moving. The orc has escaped, but maybe we will find him in the city.

"I think you are right. We have found any clues here that we are going to find. We should explore this city and see what is using those lights. Praz, that's a good idea. If you can heal him he might have more information for us."

LurkytheDwarf
2020-08-03, 10:33 PM
Praz and Trix

Returning to the first level of the lighthouse, Praz and Trix find the brain-damaged orc where the party left him. The pathetic, drooling creature does seem to perk up at your arrival. Despite this glimmer of rational thought, the minotaur's healing magic has no effect on the orc's affliction.

Leaving him, Praz and Trix range over the rocky island and gravelly beaches. It takes only thirty minutes for their whole investigation. Praz discovers where apparently the large bare-footed tracks of the Keeper-Golem strode out from the sea and up the narrow path to the lighthouse. Of the orc with the crippled leg, he also finds evidence of him landing on the ground beneath the makeshift rope, then hoping down the rocks to the shoreline on the western side of the island. If you had to guess, the orc attempted to swim the mile or so to the mainland and the city. Given the choppiness of the water and the condition of the orc, it seems an impossible feat.

Otherwise, beside the plinth and the lighthouse a few washed up seaweeds and gnarly shrubs, the island is devoid of life.

Everybody

Praz and Trix return, leading with them the addled orc up to the fourth-floor where the party has made base camp. Setting up watches, the party settles in for a long night in this dismal place.

As the circle of the sun through the clouds begins to set, the first watchman calls out to the others to come to the window. A strange thing happens in the city. Throughout the daytime gloom, many lights could be seen among the decaying spires, but as night falls they go out one-by-one until the place falls to shadow. In the final inklings of dusk, from the tallest five towers, winged shapes take flight... dozens and dozens, a hundred, more. Then a starless, moonless night settles in and all is blackness beyond ghostly bonfire of the lighthouse.

All throughout your rest, all that can be seen is the dull gray rocks of the island under the hollow illumination. But the sounds from beyond that light, out over the churning waves is that of a huge, circling flock and the thousand, repeating words in its varied calls, "How? Why? Who? ... Who?"

The calls and wingbeats retreat near dawn, likely returning to their roosts. At the first pale shine of day through the clouds, the lights of the city reappear one-by-one. Despite the grotesquery of the night, you are each fully rested. Thogran announces perhaps another three hours till the potion is ready to properly test.

What do you do?

Kvard51
2020-08-06, 03:35 AM
"It seems we have a little more time to kill, then.", Valin says, looking at Thogran. "Perhaps we can get a better look at the rest of the lower level. I doubt anyone else could be alive down there, but I might spot signs of what happened to Jax."

Valin attempts to attune to the ring.

WhismurWanders
2020-08-06, 04:24 AM
”Aye, and I don’t think I got a look at everything in the lab, assuming it isn’t all burnt up by now.”

Bobthewizard
2020-08-06, 06:56 AM

Miko doesn't want the others to go down below without her.

"I'll go with you. Anyone have any ideas on how to cross the sea without a boat? Ours was destroyed before we got here."

WhismurWanders
2020-08-06, 07:34 AM
Thogran pipes up, Prince Valin and I walked here from R’rathis; I’ve got a spell that will let us breathe underwater as easily as any fish.”

LurkytheDwarf
2020-08-06, 10:48 AM
Attuning to the ivory ring carved with a skull with a foreign word escaping its mouth, you determine that it allows the wielder to cast Speak with Dead 1/day.
Everybody

As a group, you return to the dungeon level of the lighthouse, using Thogran's trap door to not waste a set of Perpetual Eyes. In the entrance room, you immediately notice the ghostly flame upon the upraised hand of the old man statue (which you now know was the leader of the Red-Robed Order and the creator of the Golem-Keeper) has grown larger and shines brighter.

Everywhere the surfaces are covered in settled soot from the hours of thick smoke. Except! for the humanoid outlines you discover throughout the dungeon level, patches of bare stone among the black ashes. They litter the floor like corpses on a battlefield. There no longer is any foul wind to be felt; the angry mutterings are nowhere to be heard. And the ghostly flame crackles and burns and radiates smugness.

Knowing you have several hours for the potion, you methodically go over the rooms of the dungeon. In the empty chamber and statue-carving room, nothing new is found. But way down in the jail level, beyond the second empty cell, the party discovers a secret door. Behind, a small closet lies stuffed with eleven suits of chainmail, bucklers, and shortswords, each bearing the insignia of Rulk. In various pouches and wallets, there is a total of 93gp in coinage of Rulkish and Alambar minting. Near the bottom, you discover the magical (+2) half-plate of the dead Arsonist woman; Trix identifies it by its deep red color and the sneering face upon its breastplate.

The party searches the laboratory, though it seems the epicenter of the two explosions which shook the lighthouse. The metal door that Trix broke down and the dissection table are warped from the heat but still intact. The cabinet crumbles to ashes at a touch. Of all the writings and notes in the bookshelf, nothing remains. The Arsonist woman's corpse is merely a blackened skeleton, hard as a rock, the teeth all gone, likely exploding from the heat.

Still, a search through some of the surviving metal canisters from the workstation yields results. Though most are now filled with melted and congealed sludge, some valuable contents remain (gold dust [150gp], ruby dust [75gp], diamond dust [200gp], and an onyx stone [worth 150gp]).

Lastly, you discover behind where the bookcase and notes formerly were, a series of strange holes in the center of the wall very close together. It almost appears as a keyhole but one for which a very strange and complicated key would be needed.

All-in-all, a little over one-and-a-half hours have passed.

Esprit15
2020-08-06, 05:03 PM
"Well, when that potion finishes brewing, we can get you all tied to me and I'll swim you all to the island. I don't think it will take more than an hour," Trix says, trying to judge how far the islands are separated. Sharks and whales swim faster than humanoids walk, so it shouldn't take too long, though with the stormy sea, that may not hold true... "Might want to get some wood to hold onto, actually."

Starbin
2020-08-06, 11:58 PM

Praz woke the next day wondering what the day would bring. When the group gathered to discuss their next move, Praz shrugged his mighty shoulders. "I can swim, too ... but a potion to breathe would be helpful. But what if all those strange things flying last night? While an early grave means we don’t have to worry about tomorrow, we owe it to our people to survive. We will probably need to make sure we find shelter by nightfall."
Sorry for the delay, but nothing to add on the current situation... except to head across. Who wants the armor ... Valin?
Spells: 1 - (4/4 slots) alarm, hunter's guide, cure light wounds / 2 - (3/3 slots) darkvision, pass w/o trace
Effects: