PDA

View Full Version : a background feature (5e) for Shadow

Shocksrivers
2020-05-13, 09:30 AM
It's not that serious, but I want to play a character in a new 5th game that is the shadow of a mighty caster that exploded/evaporated during a magical ritual, which infused his shadow (me) and his familiar and spellbook with life.

To be clear, this has DM fiat, and is not what I want to get critiqued, though I no it might not make total sense.

My question is about my homebrewed background: shadow

I think something like deception (for acting like an other person) and stealth as proficient skills. This doesn't seem to problematic, but a feature is harder...

I came up with this, and would like to know if it is to strong or not strong enough: perfectly (or near perfectly) imitating people's movements, the rational being that a shadow perfectly follows someone else's movements.

This is a little rambly, sorry, but what do you people think as following or repeating movements for a shadow that came to life as an actual person (halfing)

JNAProductions
2020-05-13, 09:55 AM
Eh... Generally background features are ribbons-they do not help directly with combat. That seems like it'd be a hefty stealth bonus, which could in turn easily allow you to gain surprise and such.

Maybe do something relating to the knowledge you have? Rip off the Sage feature?

Edit: Oh, also want to say, that's a really cool PC idea! While I do want to help you balance it, just on theme it scores big points. :)

Shocksrivers
2020-05-14, 09:41 AM
Thanks alot, I had this same problem. Something knowledgy could be on point. The first suggestion my DM gave was something like being able to hide in low light conditions, but that seemed to strong to me. How about following movements of a person that I can see as they do it? Don't know what the purpose would be, but it seems shadowy?

And what about inheritance of the inheritor? Though that does not narrow it down very much...