PDA

View Full Version : Working on finishing and updating the Proto-Sorcerer from the 2012 D&D Next playtest

ArkthePieKing
2020-05-13, 11:29 AM
I won't post any links to it because I'm not sure where the legality of it lies, but the Sorcerer from the D&D Next playtest was an entirely different beast than what we got in the final product. Essentially it got something called Willpower points instead of spell slots to power it's spells, learned spells at a 1/2 caster rate, and gained bloodline perks the more it cast. For instance after spending 3 willpower points the Dragon Sorcerer got +2 to melee damage rolls. To be honest after reading about this, I became enthralled, it's such a cool idea and so flavorful and I want to finish it and turn it into a finished class, one that's balanced with the existing classes but carves it's own, unique mechanical niche and feels more distinct from the Wizard than the existing Sorcerer does. Here are the highlights of what I've got so far. Everything is in laymans terms and the writing will be cleaned up once the concept is finished. Currently everything is for the Dragon Sorcerer as that was what was in that initial playtest document.

This is using the DMG's Spell Point Variant rules as a baseline and going from there. Utilizing that, with an additional point per level to account for Sorcery Points which have the equivilent weight of a spell point and combining them into a single resource which will just be referred to as Sorcery Points.

1d8 hit die
Light/Medium Armor Proficiencies
-Extra attack at 5th level
-Gains Spell Points at a rate equal to full casters.
-Starts with 2 spells known, learns an additional spell per level.
-Maximum Spell Level increases at same rate as an artificer.
-Spells can, however, be up-cast to the equivalent spell level of a full caster. So for example At 5th level while the Sorcerer would only know 1st and 2nd level spells, they could be upcast to 3rd level magic by spending 5 points on them rather than 2 or 3. The idea behind this concept is that the Sorcerer's magic is less complex than learned casters but no less potent. It's more malleable and primal, being able to be upgraded, downgraded, and modified using metamagic. Speaking of which
-Metamagic will stay essentially the same. I don't see the need to mess with perfection on this one.
-Perks for exhausting x amount of Sorcery Points per day. For example, After spending 6 Sorcery Points in a day, gaining +2 to damage rolls. After spending 14 a day gain +1 AC and resistance to their dragon's elemental damage. 32 a day will get you draconic wings and flight.
-A scaleable breath weapon starting at 3rd level. 2d4 x sorcery points spent. I've done the math on this and it scales remarkably evenly to spells, while falling behind slightly on crazy 7th level and beyond spells.
-Meta-Breath features for a modified breath. Haven't thought too much on this.

This is what I've got so far. I'd love ideas, feedback, criticism, and compliments!