PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Slime Colonies [Monster]

Grek
2020-05-13, 08:27 PM
Oozes, slimes, puddings, jellies and the like are all fundamentally lazy monsters. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, and sometimes an unambiguous monster that just wants to eat you is exactly what the Dungeon Master ordered. But if oozes are going to be pure combat encounters, they should probably do that in a way that is engaging and creative instead of the current 'guess what this particular blobby thing isn't immune to' standard. Fighting a slime should feel like a struggle, with characters being engulfed and cut free and vulnerabilities identified and exploited in real time. It shouldn't be a question of beating down a wall of meat after memorizing the monster manual.

Mechanically, I'm choosing to do this through the combination of the physical slime, which becomes more of an exploitable but unavoidable fixture of the encounter's terrain, and the nuclei which are simultaneously weak points (in that destroying them is how you defeat the slime overall) and sources of danger (as each contributes abilities and action economy to the overall slime).

Slime Colony
Slimes are amorphous creatures composed of one or more nuclei surrounded by a large mass of viscous fluid. Each nucleus controls the slime within a certain radius around it, allowing slimes to merge and split freely by having nuclei congregate or wander away. Nuclei differ in abilities and behavior, but as a general rule slimes cooperate with other slimes, sharing nutrients and fending off attackers collectively. Although unintelligent, slimes are not a mindless foe - they will try to keep their nuclei out of danger when attacked and can execute surprisingly cunning ambush predation, including drop attacks, allowing prey to pass in order to attack it from behind and basic camouflage tactics like pretending to be a pool of water.

All slime nuclei shares a few basic traits. They are able to gradually turn water (or any aqueous solution, really) into viscous slime. Each nucleus releases different chemicals into the nearby slime, creating opaque acidic puddings, transparent aqueous jellies, paralytic sludges, flammable oils, viscous gels or more exotic formations. Regardless of the specific chemicals secreted, all nuclei can sense prey via scent (30' radius, affected by wind and strong odours as usual) and communicate basic information with other nuclei through the slime pool itself. Unless altered by nuclear chemicals or environmental conditions, slime is transparent enough to see through.

Slime Nucleus
Tiny ooze, unaligned

Armor Class: 12
Hit Points: 10
Speed: swim 15 ft.

Str 10 (+0) Dex 14 (+2) Con 12 (+1)
Int 3 (-4) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 1 (-5)

Condition Immunities: Blinded charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, prone.
Senses: scent 30' (blind and deaf), passive perception 13
Languages: none

Slime Variations:

Each nucleus has unique adaptations and abilities which it contributes to the slime colony. For each nucleus, roll a d10 twice or choose two options on the table below. Passive abilities apply to all slime within 15 feet of the nucleus, while active abilities modify the available actions of the specific nucleus.

Passive
1 Opaque Ooze. Slime is opaque and grants heavy obscurement to all within.
2 Acid. Whenever the colony takes a lair action, all non-nuclei in slime take 3d6 acid damage.
3 Bouyant. Whenever the colony takes a lair action, all creatures in slime are knocked prone.
4 Viscous. Slime has resistance to all damage. Slime counts as difficult terrain for nuclei.
5 Adhesive. Slime sticks to nearby surfaces and can be suspended from ceilings.
6 Gross. Whenever the colony takes a lair action, all creatures in slime are exposed to filth fever.
7 Eyeball. This particular nucleus can see, with darkvision out to 120 feet. No slime effect.
8 Cytoskeleton. Slime has the DC for lair actions increased to 16 instead of 13.
9 Camouflage. Slime blends in well and requires a DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) to notice before combat.
10 None. Instead, reroll on the Active table.

Active
1 Telepath. Nucleus attempts to communicate, forcing DC 13 Wisdom saving throw vs. confusion.
2 Clever. Nucleus has +13 to Intelligence and Charisma and makes use of engulfed items.
3 Necrotic. Pseudopod inflicts an additional 3d6 necrotic damage on a hit.
4 Coordinated. Nucleus may make any number of Pseudopod attacks, each against a different foe.
5 Oily. Nucleus excretes a 15' cone of flammable oil. A DC 15 Dexterity saving throw avoids being sprayed.
6 Harden. All slime within 15' becomes solid and impassible. Can still be dispersed as normal.
7 Paralytic. Pseudopod also forces DC 10 Constitution saving throw against paralysis for one minute.
8 Rammer. Nucleus can move 120', optionally making a Pseudopod attack with advantage afterward.
9 Laser. 120' beam, +6 to hit, 2d8 radiant damage. This ignores cover granted by slime.
10 None. Instead, reroll on the Passive table.

Actions:
Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 15 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (2d6) bludgeoning damage.

Lair Actions:
On initiative count 20 (losing ties), the slime colony collectively takes one of the following actions. The same action cannot be selected twice in a row.

Ooze: All slime within 10 feet of a living nucleus oozes around, conserving the total volume of slime but otherwise relocating it however each nucleus prefers. Slime counts as difficult terrain for non-nuclei, provides full cover to all creatures within (including the nuclei) and requires creatures to hold their breath in order to avoid suffocation. A square of slime can be dispersed through damage, with one square of slime being dispersed per five points of damage. Slime isolated from a nucleus collapses and pools like syrup flowing downhill, but slime under the direct control of a nucleus can persist in whatever shape the colony requires.

Surge: As per Ooze, but within 30 feet of one specific living nucleus. All damaged or dispersed slime within this radius is fully restored. All creatures who were already within the slime prior to this action are grappled by the slime and must beat a DC of 13 on their Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to escape.

Engulf: All creatures adjacent to a slime filled square must make a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw or be pulled into a slime filled square within 15 feet. Creatures who were already in a slime-filled square have disadvantage on this save.

Lord Von Becker
2020-05-25, 06:50 PM
6 Gross. Whenever the colony takes a lair action, all creatures in slime are exposed to filth fever. I'm not sure what that does, and I think it's non-SRD content. You feel up to coming up with a slime-specific disease?
5 Oily. Nucleus excretes a 15' cone of flammable oil. A DC 15 Dexterity saving throw avoids being sprayed. Does it have a way of setting you on fire, putting fire out, or being vulnerable to fire in a way that this discourages? I guess fireball might count. I have suggestions for two more Active traits, though, and adding to the passive traits "Aqueous - slime is immune to fire damage" and possibly "Metallic - nuclei in this slime deal 3d8 damage with their psuedopods, with a choice of bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing" would help them keep symmetry.
7 Paralytic. Pseudopod also forces DC 10 Constitution saving throw against paralysis for one minute. Oof. 1 round would be nasty enough given that it's spammable, one minute is... much. It'd be fine for sleep, though.
9 Laser. 120' beam, +6 to hit, 2d8 radiant damage. This ignores cover granted by slime. This is very cool. Unorthodox, but cool. I'm reminded of the Rainbow Devil, and that's a good thing. (...It was actually the only Yellow Devil variant I've seen without an energy blaster, though. Maybe up the Active traits to d12, and add "psuedopod sends people to sleep for one minute or until disturbed", and "psuedopod can also be made as a thrown attack with a range of 30/60"?)
Ooze: All slime within 10 feet of a living nucleus oozes around, conserving the total volume of slime but otherwise relocating it however each nucleus prefers. Slime counts as difficult terrain for non-nuclei, provides full cover to all creatures within (including the nuclei) and requires creatures to hold their breath in order to avoid suffocation. A square of slime can be dispersed through damage, with one square of slime being dispersed per five points of damage. Slime isolated from a nucleus collapses and pools like syrup flowing downhill, but slime under the direct control of a nucleus can persist in whatever shape the colony requires. Full cover from things outside the slime, but not within it? Or what? Also, I think by square you mean 5-foot cubes. How does the disruption spread from high-damage non-area attacks?
Engulf: All creatures adjacent to a slime filled square must make a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw or be pulled into a slime filled square within 15 feet. Creatures who were already in a slime-filled square have disadvantage on this save.
Cube wording, and I might also allow a Strength check for this. Anyway, this is pretty cool! I don't know if you got that from my nitpicking, but it's a sign of my interest. Thank you for posting it!

(Edit, collecting my modifications:
-Aqueous and Metallic are added to the Passive table.
-Paralysis lasts one round, and grants immunity to paralysis for one round whether you succeed or fail.
-Soporific and Thrown are added to the Active table.
--Relatedly: Make Soporific a Slime effect, maybe swap it out for the eyeball?)