PDA

View Full Version : PoW Fool's Errand

Efrate
2020-05-13, 09:22 PM
Does anyone have experience with using this? Looking over it it seems underpowered in terms of damage barring something like stacking vital strike, and the lock mechanic looks potentially very strong. How does it play put at actual tables? If anyone has some insight I would appreciate it.

Swaoeaeieu
2020-05-14, 04:29 AM
A few years ago i did play a high level fools errant focussed character. It was the medic archetype that did unarmed attacks. (sanguinist its called i think?)

As it was quite some time ago i don't remember it very well, but i dont recall having issues with the damage numbers. Most PoW things have no issues doing damage. Might not be the best damage dealer in the party, but you won't be lagging behind or anything. Plus the Lock mechanic has a lot of vallue when it comes to controlling the battlefield.

But whenever i see someone thinking about taking Fools Errand i tell them YES! for one simple reason: you can lock almost anything, despite the creatures size (might be wrong though) and there are a couple of maneuvers that let's you throw people. Wich resulted in the end of my campaign where i Threw a massive dragon into the air, jumped up to punch him a couple times, then suplexed that lizard through a hell portal.

Fool's errand isn't bad, it's also not overpowered unless you bring in notorious broken blade boosts and stuff. But the sheer fun of throwing things around is worth it by a large margin.
Might make a monk or fighter feel bad, but if PoW is on the table, why would anyone play those anyway.

Dr_Dinosaur
2020-05-14, 06:17 PM
Yeah tbh I'd rather play (or see someone at my table play) with Fool's Errand than Broken Blade

Efrate
2020-05-14, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the input. It's a warring dojo of sorts in my campaign where there are no 1st party classes, wondering if it was worth making npcs with. Im thinking halfling edgelord harbringers in luchador masks for the lulz using pretty much exclusively fools errand to fight. Very funny image vs. Our pair of giant half orcs.

Ramza00
2020-05-14, 09:45 PM
I have no experience with this and would like feedback. I am about to play a gestalt game with my character being a zealot providing defensive bonuses and counters for the whole party while a friends will be an egoist / warder providing offense and some lockdown due to defensive focus and reach shenanigans.

I would like more insight into this discipline.

Looks like it is an invaluable discipline HD15 and above but we will be playing HD7 instead.

PraxisVetli
2020-05-15, 07:03 AM
The biggest complaint at my table was that yet again, an entire mechanic was neutralized by Freedom of Movement.
There's a Counter for if your Lock is denied by FoM, but otherwise, it's just a fancy Grapple.
We changed it so Lock went around FoM, and it helped tremendously.
Really, though, the problem is with the spell, not Fool's Errand.
Otherwise it's pretty cool Discipline. The players who have used it, loved it.