PDA

View Full Version : Caster Level increasing for necromancing

Dragondust
2020-05-14, 09:16 AM
Hello, for purpose of getting a big undead army, i want to increase the CL for necromancer stuff like animate dead as the spell or the whole necromancer school.

already picked up the spellgifted Trait. Is there any other Traits i can use to increase CL? Or maybe just for the important spells ?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-14, 09:38 AM
Earth Spell in Races of Stone increases the caster level of the spell if it's Heightened. If you're a divine caster, use Divine Metamagic: Heighten to increase it to a 9th level spell.

The Dread Necromancer base class at 8th level gets to significantly increase his effective caster level for HD of undead he can control via Animate Dead.

The Red Wizard prestige class in the DMG or Halruaan Elder in Shining South can use circle magic to increase their caster level to 40 for all their spells, and also Heighten spells to 20th level. Combined with Earth Spell you should be able to get a caster level of almost 50 with that. Create Simulacrums of yourself to contribute spells to your circle magic and store them safely in a Portable Hole when you're not doing that. If you're 20th level your Simulacrums will be 10th level and they'll each have circle magic as well, each should lead a circle and heighten one spell to 20th level, then each one contributes that 20th level spell to your circle to power you up.

When you go over your Animate Dead control limit, you can release and then use Command Undead on the highest-HD minions. Just re-cast Command Undead on them however often you need to, it lasts a day per level and can be (Lesser Rod of) Extended to be cast half as often. You can also get a wand or even a few eternal wands in MIC of that. Edit: Or release a bunch of low-HD minions and use (Lesser Rod of) Chain Spell with Command Undead on them, if you don't want to risk Command Undead being dispelled from your high-HD minions.

Dragondust
2020-05-14, 09:47 AM
Earth Spell in Races of Stone increases the caster level of the spell if it's Heightened. If you're a divine caster, use Divine Metamagic: Heighten to increase it to a 9th level spell.

The Dread Necromancer base class at 8th level gets to significantly increase his effective caster level for HD of undead he can control via Animate Dead.

The Red Wizard prestige class in the DMG or Halruaan Elder in Shining South can use circle magic to increase their caster level to 40 for all their spells, and also Heighten spells to 20th level. Combined with Earth Spell you should be able to get a caster level of almost 50 with that. Create Simulacrums of yourself to contribute spells to your circle magic and store them safely in a Portable Hole when you're not doing that. If you're 20th level your Simulacrums will be 10th level and they'll each have circle magic as well, each should lead a circle and heighten one spell to 20th level, then each one contributes that 20th level spell to your circle to power you up.

When you go over your Animate Dead control limit, you can release and then use Command Undead on the highest-HD minions. Just re-cast Command Undead on them however often you need to, it lasts a day per level and can be (Lesser Rod of) Extended to be cast half as often. You can also get a wand or even a few eternal wands in MIC of that. Edit: Or release a bunch of low-HD minions and use (Lesser Rod of) Chain Spell with Command Undead on them, if you don't want to risk Command Undead being dispelled from your high-HD minions.

Iam playing a dread necro. Iam just trying to increase the Animate Dead 4+ChaMod/CL CL ^^. already got a decent character build for MAX HD of Undead. simply wanna increase the Cl for that

GoodbyeSoberDay
2020-05-14, 09:48 AM
If the relevant limitation is creation as opposed to control (i.e., you want one big bad servant equal to 4x normal caster level), then all the sundry temporary bonuses to caster level (e.g. Bead of Karma, Suffer the Flesh) should do the trick. Here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?484088-3-5-Raising-Caster-Level) is a useful link for raising caster level generally.

Dragondust
2020-05-14, 09:52 AM
If the relevant limitation is creation as opposed to control (i.e., you want one big bad servant equal to 4x normal caster level), then all the sundry temporary bonuses to caster level (e.g. Bead of Karma, Suffer the Flesh) should do the trick. Here[/URL] is a useful link for raising caster level generally.

thx for the link. iam looking for permanent increases cuz when the time is up ill lose the HD

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-14, 10:54 AM
An Illumian with the Naenhoon runeword can spend rebuke undead attempts to apply a metamagic feat, similar to Divine Metamagic. That can be used with Heighten Spell and Earth Spell, but that costs three feats plus a race choice so probably not worth it.

I've played a minionmancer Dread Necro before, and while I only had about four powerful undead minions, my turns still took as long as everyone else's combined. It very much reduced the enjoyment of the other players, and I wouldn't recommend anyone ever try that. The DN 8 base (4+Cha mod)xCL should be more than enough for any reasonable amount of minions.

Segev
2020-05-14, 12:57 PM
This isn't increasing your CL, but it will let you take much more advantage of it:

Get Chain Spell and possibly (if you have room) Extend Spell. Get yourself 3 (4, if you have Extend Spell) Slaymates to hang around you when you cast.

Chain Extend command undead will bring your CL+1 mindless undead under your control for 2xCL days. Per casting. Their HD are irrelevant, so you can use this on the biggest, most HD-expensive undead you can create, and it's 1 of them for every CL (plus 1).

Troacctid
2020-05-14, 01:12 PM
Ruby Skull of Wee Jas (Complete Champion) gives you +1 CL for necromancy spells if you worship Wee Jas. Only 350 gp, which is an amazing deal.