PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How to get started with Play-By-Post?

Mad Max
2020-05-14, 12:54 PM
Hey guys! I'm not sure where to put this question, but I figured Roleplaying Games (general) would be a safe bet. Because of lockdown, I've been around my computer a lot more, so I have more time to actually engage with something like a PbP, so I think I'd like to start or join one. However, I have no experience with it, and I find it intimidating! Would you guys answer a few questions for me, as a beginner?

1: Is there a predetermined time for the DM to come online and add new posts? Or is the game active, theoretically, at all times?
2: Is it generally better to run a PbP that is Combat or RP heavy (solely based on which one works best for the format)?
3: Are there any unspoken rules to follow that a newcomer might not be aware of?

Thanks guys! :smallbiggrin:

Berenger
2020-05-14, 01:24 PM
2: Is it generally better to run a PbP that is Combat or RP heavy (solely based on which one works best for the format)?

I very much prefer RP heavy games, in most systems, combat takes forever even if you streamline the rules.

Zarrgon
2020-05-14, 02:30 PM
1: Is there a predetermined time for the DM to come online and add new posts? Or is the game active, theoretically, at all times?
3: Are there any unspoken rules to follow that a newcomer might not be aware of?

1.Most are 24/7.

2.Both are the same, but different. Some games stick to lite combat, but some go heavy combat with detailed maps and such.

3.Many games don't last long. While everyone will say they want to play and will spend tons of time making a character....half or more of all people in a PBP will just vanish after a short time or a couple posts.

DataNinja
2020-05-14, 02:50 PM
Something I always advise for PbP is to have some sort of Realtime OOC chat, like a Discord. People're a lot less likely to ghost if they get to know the people there, I've found.

Pleh
2020-05-15, 09:23 AM
I very much prefer RP heavy games, in most systems, combat takes forever even if you streamline the rules.

Yes, play by post favors RP emphasis and less combat.

In fact, I'd recommend the DM pause the game before initiating Combat to schedule a live session to run the combat over some live chat, whether video call or instant message.

Another thing I've seen be a problem is differences of availability. You get one person post a single paragraph in the entire week feeling like the game moves too fast to keep up with, and someone else posts enormous essays a few times a day, moving the plot around a lot before others can react.

You should have some reasonable restrictions and requirements on posting. I like the idea of, "post your character reactions by Monday, Friday, and Sunday or the DM will assume a neutral action/inaction." Along with, "no more than 3 paragraphs and X number of words before others can post."