PDA

View Full Version : Bardic spell casting somatic component?

eyebreaker7
2020-05-14, 12:59 PM
"Every bard spell has a verbal component (singing, reciting, or music)."

Are there any other variants? Like whistling or humming or anything?

Trying to decide what a bard in combat would do to cast his/her spells. Besides continually saying “My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!” lol.

Clementx
2020-05-14, 01:31 PM
As long as it requires making sound in a clear, loud voice (DC0 Listen check), it doesn't matter what you describe. It just means that bards can't cast spells in silence or while mute.

Nifft
2020-05-14, 01:37 PM
Speaking is reciting; humming and singing are music. Those aren't even variants -- you can use them per the core rules.

I agree with @Clementx on mechanics.

Biggus
2020-05-14, 04:54 PM
Speaking is reciting; humming and singing are music. Those aren't even variants -- you can use them per the core rules.

I agree with @Clementx on mechanics.

Where does it say that humming is classed as music?

hamishspence
2020-05-14, 05:01 PM
Whistling counts:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm

Bardic Music
Once per day per bard level, a bard can use his song or poetics to produce magical effects on those around him (usually including himself, if desired). While these abilities fall under the category of bardic music and the descriptions discuss singing or playing instruments, they can all be activated by reciting poetry, chanting, singing lyrical songs, singing melodies, whistling, playing an instrument, or playing an instrument in combination with some spoken performance.

And "Perform (sing)" includes "melody"

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/perform.htm

So, if "hum" qualifies as "melody" or "music"

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm

Spells
A bard casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the bard spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. Every bard spell has a verbal component (singing, reciting, or music).

then it should be usable for things like bard casting and Bardic Music.

KillianHawkeye
2020-05-15, 03:55 PM
Humming isn't really done in a clear, loud voice, so it probably doesn't count for verbal spell components. It's basically just singing with your mouth closed, so just sing instead.

hamishspence
2020-05-15, 04:00 PM
Humming isn't really done in a clear, loud voice, so it probably doesn't count for verbal spell components.

A whistle does count for verbal spell components. And it's not that different from a hum.

Nifft
2020-05-15, 04:56 PM
Humming isn't really done in a clear, loud voice

Hum harder.

KillianHawkeye
2020-05-16, 01:36 AM
A whistle does count for verbal spell components. And it's not that different from a hum.

I dunno, I guess I disagree! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Hum harder.

I can't! :smalleek:

torrasque666
2020-05-16, 01:38 AM
Whistles are also clearly audible from more than 5ft away.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-05-16, 04:29 AM
I've always played fast and loose with this one. I interpret it to mean that whatever your performance of choice is becomes a necessary component of your spellcasting. You prefer string instruments, you're not casting without strumming your fiddle. You're a poet, spit some bars and make the magic happen. I've even gone so far as to allow interpretive dance with a few minor adjustments to the mechanics (silence doesn't matter but the magic fails if you're invisible or your movement is severely hampered).

Under my own rules, I tend to go with perform oratory and make rousing speeches.

Officially though, a verbal component to a spell is something done with your body's vocal apparatus and is loud enough for the DC to hear it to start at 0 before distance, intervening objects, and background noise.

hamishspence
2020-05-16, 09:13 AM
I've even gone so far as to allow interpretive dance with a few minor adjustments to the mechanics (silence doesn't matter but the magic fails if you're invisible or your movement is severely hampered).

Or, for those who insist on an auditory component, the dance can be tap dance. That works for bardic music - if tap shoes are considered an instrument in the same vein as drums - though not for verbal components.