PDA

View Full Version : Makings of a Shadowdancer (just for fun)

eyebreaker7
2020-05-14, 02:21 PM
I've been looking over Prestige classes and I like the Shadowdancer so I'm trying to figure out how I'd build up to one just for fun. Or another future campaign.
(s)he would be Elf, Drow (Albino ( or Szarki (pronounced zahrk-eye in their own tongue)) I've recently discovered the Szarki as well so I'm going off of that :)

Requirements
To qualify to become a shadowdancer, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Skills
Move Silently 8 ranks, Hide 10 ranks, Perform (dance) 5 ranks.

Feats
Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Mobility.

Would it be better for a bard, ranger or rogue? The bard and rogue have the class skill of perform. The bard has spells as does the ranger, just more limited. The rogue has the traps skills (others can get at half skill level) and sneak ability, as does the ranger. The bard I have to admit I've never been overly fond of due to his acting for spell purposes but I do like spells. The ranger would have to get to 10th level in order to get the 5 ranks in perform but that would allow for a couple spells and other class bonuses. But if you go ranger you might as well go one more level to get an extra attack, 1 more spell level and combat style mastery. The ranger also gets a animal companion starting at 4th level which is always cool too. Oh yea, the rogue gets sneak attack. How did I forget that? lol.

Maybe rogue 2 then ranger 6 then shadwodancer 1+

I'm also trying to come up with a background that make him/her non-evil WITHOUT be Drizzt's cousin. lol. Maybe (s)he was captured during a drow raid to the surface and the elves, or whoever, that captured him/her decided to put a [I]helm of opposite alignment[I] on him/her so (s)he would be more useful and much easier to get info out of? It could be that the surfacers are the ones to train him/her to become a shadowdancer? But then (s)he wouldn't start at 1st level like the rest of the party so that wont work. Any ideas? What about being brought with a drow raiding party to hide and just observe but get caught anyway? Like a training lesson.

TheCount
2020-05-14, 04:06 PM
Can i recommend Eilistraee?

There is also Drows from Eberon (i do like some tastefull tribal elements in clothings).

She could also be a mercenary who ran away from a minor house.

As for the bould.... i would like to say, go monk, but i know the boards option on it... and sadly diping it is really good.
Maybe mystic ranger? or moon warded, if you go for Eilistraee, for a bit bonus RP.

RNightstalker
2020-05-14, 05:10 PM
I'll second Eilistraee. Also consider the Scout. Better hit-die than the Rogue, better skill points than the Ranger. Skirmish should work well with the shadow jumps, etc. They get a bonus feat at 4th and 8th that can be used for some of the prerequisites. No perform skill though.

Emperor Tippy
2020-05-14, 05:58 PM
Necropolitan Grey Elf for the Race

Rogue 1/ Invisible Fist Martial Monk 2/ Factotum 3/ Swordsage 1/ Shadowdancer X

Being honest though, Shadowdancer is not a class that you want to take 10 levels of. Dipping the first level for Hide in Plain Sight can be worth it (assuming that you need at least some of the feats for other things), but beyond that Shadowdancer is a crap class.

Telflammar Shadowlord has the same feel but is better in basically every respect.

If you want to make the Shadowdancer better than do the following:
1) Give it the Elocators Scorn Earth ability.
2) Give the Shadow from Summon Shadow HD equal to the Shadowdancers HD and allow it to emerge from the Shadowdancers shadow regardless of where it last was.
3) Make Shadow Jump a free action and remove the "as Dimension Door" line so that using it doesn't make it impossible for you to to take actions until your next turn.

It will still be weak, but it would at least be 'meh' instead of 'utter crap'.