PDA

View Full Version : Partial Eldritch Campaign

TrashPastor110
2020-05-14, 04:55 PM
So I've been planning on having the last portion of my campaign focus on the eldritch. The players have defeated a lich who claimed to be preventing a greater evil (the eldritch). I need help with coming up with ideas for some sort of eldritch-centered storyline from levels 17-20, and I'm aiming to maintain the eldritch as higher beings completely unconcerned with humanity as a human would regard an anthill. I also want an evangelion/dark souls esque ending. Any ideas?

M. Arillius
2020-05-14, 07:22 PM
As an adventure that actually involves the creature itself? Probably not going to work out given the scale you want it to be at. A few suggested ideas...

-They killed the lich and his death gives them a limited time to stop the summoning of the creature. They do so, but not quite fast enough, and his mere presence close to our world changes the world into a post apocalyptic game where the new norm is creatures or people mutated by his eldritch power. Sets up a new campaign and creates a chance of hope but also radically alters the dynamic of the world. Maybe fixing it is an epic campaign option too.

-They kill the lich and immediately upon his death the realm is invaded by the otherwordly cultists that seek to summon the creature. They fight an unending wave of fanatics and eventually, one by one, die, stemming the tide and closing the portal in their last moments. But you wake the players up in a new world and tell them they had a strange dream of something, which may or may not have been a past life, a glimpse into another world, etc. They are their new characters in your new game, but that existential threat of that horror and that army is always there in the back of their minds now. Maybe it becomes the focus of the new game, trying to uncover more and stop the army permanently in this new world that doesn't have anything to do with their old one. Make it seem like they might be crazy at first and any hint they find actually gets them in trouble because others just view it as tampering with dark magic. Or they ignore that possibility and you don't bring it up for a few campaigns, then you interrupt one with the army invading long before the PC's can stop it, forcing them on a very different path. The army is here, but they haven't summoned their eldritch god... yet.

KillianHawkeye
2020-05-16, 01:46 AM
The eldritch what? :smallconfused:

Eldritch just means strange, unnatural, or otherworldly. There's a lot in D&D that falls under that category, including anything magical. So can you clarify what you're trying to accomplish here?