PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming A Monk-ish Sorcerer Archetype

Garfunion
2020-05-14, 05:36 PM
There has been a thread recently, where people have been discussing the Four Elements Monk. Some of those posts seem to want the 4E Monk to be more of a spellcaster.
So I’ve been thinking to myself what if we gave the sorcerer a monk like archetype.

No I’m not looking to give them some kind of flurry of blows unarmed attacks or stunning fists, the sorcerer is a spellcaster after all.

Maybe creating some kind of kung fu that allows them to cast their spells without the need for verbal and non-costly material components.

Perhaps giving them another features allow them to cast spells like shield, jump, expeditious retreat,.. without spending spell slots but perhaps allow them to use their sorcerer points instead.

Maybe even give them shocking grasp cantrip for free as their melee attack.

I’m just trying to spit ball some ideas together.

The primary fantasy around this comes from the elemental benders (Avatar: the last Airbender) which to me resemble more like spell casters using martial arts techniques to cast spells and the Wu-jen class (3.5 had them resemble the sorcerer).

werescythe
2020-05-14, 05:45 PM
Well, in the case of the Aberrant Mind UA, they had spells that they had a discounted sorcery point cost (paying sorcery points equal to the spells level instead of the usual cost) at around 6th level. So perhaps they could have a discount like that for some spells.

Shocking Grasp as a free cantrip at first level wouldn't be too bad either. Perhaps they could have a special bonus for it at higher levels (maybe an ability where if you succeed on damaging a character with it, you can recast Shocking Grasp again either on the target or on another creature within 5ft of you).

Garfunion
2020-05-14, 05:52 PM
Shocking Grasp as a free cantrip at first level wouldn't be too bad either. Perhaps they could have a special bonus for it at higher levels (maybe an ability where if you succeed on damaging a character with it, you can recast Shocking Grasp again either on the target or on another creature within 5ft of you).
I was thinking about giving them the ability to spend a sorcerer point to cast shocking grasp as a reaction after using their action to cast shocking grasp. This frees up their bonus action to cast other spells or use Quicken metamagic (if they have it).

Evaar
2020-05-14, 05:59 PM
Just some basic ideas for features I'd throw in:

At your option, any spell that would normally require a Ranged Spell Attack roll may instead be cast using a Melee Spell Attack roll

You have advantage on any saving throws you make against your own spells. If you would normally take half damage on a successful save, you instead take no damage. On a failed save, you take half damage.

You can cast Acid Splash, Chill Touch, Fire Bolt, Shocking Grasp, Poison Spray, or Ray of Frost as a bonus action.

werescythe
2020-05-14, 06:00 PM
I will say that you do have to be careful about the spells that the subclass is built around. We already have Dragon Blood Sorcerer which gives sorcerers increased benefits with their elemental spells and Storm Sorcerers for focused on lightning and thunder.

Garfunion
2020-05-14, 06:28 PM
Just some basic ideas for features I'd throw in:

At your option, any spell that would normally require a Ranged Spell Attack roll may instead be cast using a Melee Spell Attack roll
I’d probably have to restrict it to 5ft

You have advantage on any saving throws you make against your own spells. If you would normally take half damage on a successful save, you instead take no damage. On a failed save, you take half damage.
Hmm that’s interesting, allowing you to throw fireballs centered on yourself.

You can cast Acid Splash, Chill Touch, Fire Bolt, Shocking Grasp, Poison Spray, or Ray of Frost as a bonus action.
I my have to go with the Wu-Jen school focus for this.

I will say that you do have to be careful about the spells that the subclass is built around. We already have Dragon Blood Sorcerer which gives sorcerers increased benefits with their elemental spells and Storm Sorcerers for focused on lightning and thunder.
Yep those two archetypes do make it very difficult to create a monk like archetype.
The dragon blood provides hit point, defense, and elemental extra damage.
While the storm blood provides extra damage and good mobility.

It’s going to be tough.

werescythe
2020-05-14, 06:35 PM
I my have to go with the Wu-Jen school focus for this.

Well, WotC did scrap the mystic, but I do wonder if perhaps some aspects of the Wu-Jen subclass for mystic could be borrowed/modified for this subclass idea.

Evaar
2020-05-14, 06:52 PM
I’d probably have to restrict it to 5ft

Yeah what I meant is you can take a ranged spell and make it a melee spell. So you aren't just limited to Shocking Grasp as a melee damage cantrip, for example. The spell wouldn't retain its usual range if you do that. I guess it needs to be specified in case someone thinks they get to gain advantage, rather than have disadvantage, using a cantrip on a prone target that's 60 feet away.

Garfunion
2020-05-18, 02:21 PM
I’ve decided to go down the Wu-jen route but not as traditional as the previous versions. I still want them to be Monk like, casting their spells through martial arts techniques but when it comes to the elements I’m gonna be changing that up a little bit.
The primary elements that my Wu-jen can focus on are; wood, stone, metal, and ink/brush.

I’m thinking the first feature will be something called Arcane Kata, which will allow them to ignore non-costly material component costs and give them an AC bonus if they use their action to cast a sorcerer spell.

Then of course when they choose to focus with one of the “elements” they will get bonus spells known. Many of those spells will be cast-able using sorcery points.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-05-18, 03:55 PM
My psionics overhaul (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/g8T2tW3Z7) casts the Wu Jen as their own stand-alone elementalist class, with the "Chosen of Air" subclass one hundred percent just Aang-- unarmed strikes, unarmored ac, hit-and-run, your basic Monk bull****. On the downside it's not a Sorcerer; on the upside their magic already works without components.

Garfunion
2020-05-18, 04:57 PM
My psionics overhaul (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/g8T2tW3Z7) casts the Wu Jen as their own stand-alone elementalist class, with the "Chosen of Air" subclass one hundred percent just Aang-- unarmed strikes, unarmored ac, hit-and-run, your basic Monk bull****. On the downside it's not a Sorcerer; on the upside their magic already works without components.

Thank you for this, I’ll be pull some creative ideas from it. However I think a point-based psionic system is kind of boring, I could achieve a similar affect using the spell point system for spellcasters. Which is why I’m in favor of the most recent UA psionic system (psionic talent die).

But anyway I’ve decided to pivot away from the elements(earth, air, fire, water) as they are currently presented. There are already plenty of archetypes that can fill these roles.

I want to create a melee-ish archetype for the sorcerer because it is in need of one. All other full casters have a melee archetype.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-05-18, 07:11 PM
I want to create a melee-ish archetype for the sorcerer because it is in need of one. All other full casters have a melee archetype.
The Stone Sorcerer exists, but kinda goes overboard. I've got a Titan Blooded archetype in my Guide to Greatness, though-- they get basic chassis/proficiency upgrades, a unique melee cantrip, and (at 6th) get to follow up melee weapon attacks with a second melee weapon attack as a bonus action.

Garfunion
2020-05-18, 07:20 PM
The Stone Sorcerer exists, but kinda goes overboard. I've got a Titan Blooded archetype in my Guide to Greatness, though-- they get basic chassis/proficiency upgrades, a unique melee cantrip, and (at 6th) get to follow up melee weapon attacks with a second melee weapon attack as a bonus action.

I know about the stone sorcerer, I plan on giving the metal element some their spell and a finesse weapon proficiency.

I also know about the giant soul sorcerer, if you combine that with the aberrant dragon mark you could focus the sorcerer to have a higher constitution score.