PDA

View Full Version : Throwing "Weapons"

carrdrivesyou
2020-05-14, 07:35 PM
So given the tavern brawler feat granting proficiency in improvised weapons, just about anything can then be thrown as a weapon.

In short, how would my fellow DMs rule throwing a willing vs unwilling person as an improvised thrown "weapon?"

Kane0
2020-05-14, 07:43 PM
1d6 damage per 10' thrown, just like fall damage but horizontal. 'Weapon' takes it too of course.

Varlon
2020-05-14, 08:00 PM
"An object that bears no resemblance to a weapon deals 1d4 damage...An improvised thrown weapon has a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet. "

Are you asking for houserules beyond this?

Lavaeolus
2020-05-14, 08:43 PM
As far as Tavern Brawler goes: it grants proficiency in improvised weapons -- that is, when you use an improvised weapon, you can add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll -- but nothing more. It does not let you use anything as an improvised weapon. Before you can gain proficiency, the DM must agree that it can indeed be an improvised weapon, just as usual.

So, assume the DM says yes, you can use this person as an improvised weapon: well, as usual that's a ranged attack that does d4 damage. Strictly RAW, that'd be a DEX-governed attack, but I would allow it to use STR (similar to if they had the 'thrown' property). I would probably have to come up with house rules to govern what happens to the person you just threw. Bare minimum, I'd probably do d4 damage to them as they smack into someone. More dramatically, I could say that one or both enemies is rendered prone. Assuming I went the improvised weapon route, however, I'd probably limit the range dramatically compared to a usual improvised weapon. I might even demand disadvantage.

There's a more pertinent question to ask, though: would I allow someone to use a living enemy as a ranged improvised weapon? No, probably not. In fairness, a dead goblin is given as an example of what might be an improvised weapon, but there are rules for manhandling enemies already. If I were to allow it, I'd definitely demand they'd be grappled first, and if I were harsh I'd demand they be restrained as well. But throwing living people around really shouldn't be too easy; note that there is a mechanic for shoving someone, and it is limited to 5ft by default.

As far as just banging a grappled enemy into another at melee range: I probably would allow that, using the normal improvised weapon rules. Maybe also d4 bludgeoning damage to both enemies rather than just the one hit, if successful. Or I could repurpose the shove mechanics, and allow someone to be knocked prone if you shove a different enemy into them.

Outright lobbing someone a fair distance? D&D heroes are larger than life at times, but that goes for some of their enemies too, and it seems contradictory to other mechanics.

Asisreo1
2020-05-14, 09:26 PM
So, there's no RAW procedure for throwing a creature. To use the Improvised Weapon trait, you must use an object, not a creature. Even a giant can't pick up and throw a halfling.

If you want to throw a creature without any houseruling, the best you can do is grapple your opponent, lift them to a reasonable degree, and shove them. Unfortunately, they only go 5ft and take regular fall damage.

You can always use the improvised damage rules if you have to come up with damage on the fly. You can increase the difficulty damage based on the strength and size of the tosser.

DrKerosene
2020-05-15, 09:10 AM
If the creature is unwilling, disadvantage on the attack roll.

Most thrown weapons deal 1d6+Str damage, but I might allow 1d8+Str if the PC is using two hands for the attack. Possibly adding 1d6 per 10ft travelled, possibly with a skill check to reduce falling/flinging damage if the thrown creature is cooperative and prepared for it.

I would probably make the range category equal to a Net, unless there was some shenanigans like an Ogre throwing a Halfling (and/or use of Enlarge/Reduce, baleful Levitate, etc).

Yuroch Kern
2020-05-23, 03:05 PM
I do a version of Jumping, since you can drag a Grappled creature half your movement. You can throw an object if it is within your Carry weight. Creatures inflict Disadvantage on the check if unwilling. You can go for distance if you successfully "push" it with an Athletics check. As a ranged option, treat it as a falling object. As a improve weapon, use the "similar to an existing weapon" guideline and treat as a great club at least, with the "club" taking the Strength modifier in damage per successful attack. Once again, Disadvantage if unwilling. And yeah, totally have to Grapple first. Also, hope you upped Strength...

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-23, 03:42 PM
"An object that bears no resemblance to a weapon deals 1d4 damage...An improvised thrown weapon has a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet. "

Are you asking for houserules beyond this?

I'd argue that's only for a character who could sort of reasonably use another person as a weapon, like a 7 foot tall 20 strength barbarian. Otherwise it's just a shove check, trying to move person A towards person B and not hurting either of them. Tavern brawler or not, I wouldn't let the wizard hit someone with an ocean going ship, you have to be playing a giant robot suit for that to work. Some objects are worse weapons then your bare hands.

Asisreo1
2020-05-23, 04:15 PM
I'd argue that's only for a character who could sort of reasonably use another person as a weapon, like a 7 foot tall 20 strength barbarian. Otherwise it's just a shove check, trying to move person A towards person B and not hurting either of them. Tavern brawler or not, I wouldn't let the wizard hit someone with an ocean going ship, you have to be playing a giant robot suit for that to work. Some objects are worse weapons then your bare hands.
Well, the wizard would have to first find a way to pick the ship up, first. If it's beyond his lift capacity, I don't think he'd even be able to throw it.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-23, 04:34 PM
Well, the wizard would have to first find a way to pick the ship up, first. If it's beyond his lift capacity, I don't think he'd even be able to throw it.

It's a rather extreme example, I admit, but the principle is the same as for throwing a person. It's about more than technically being allowed to use any object as a weapon. The way you're planning to use it still has to somewhat work, at the very least for your specific character.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-23, 05:22 PM
Let's consider a few things. A table leg, a broken bottle, a rock, a fork even, are all hard and/or sharp objects. Another creature is neither hard nor sharp, and if it's unwilling, it will try to lessen its impact as much as possible. It's basically like trying to use a heavy pillow as an improvised weapon, it wouldn't do any damage at all.

Secondly, per PHB p147, "An improvised weapon includes any object you can wield in one or two hands..." Creatures are not objects and are thus ineligible to be used as an improvised weapon.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-05-23, 08:43 PM
I will take inspiration from the fling action the variant giant have.
1d6 for both targets per 10ft and you will have to be able to carry the weapon.
You will also need to grapple the weapon before throwing him and take control over him(like the grapplrer feat feature or a type of incapacitation).
In case of a willing target I will say that the target need to be ready to be thrown (probably an action or bonus action).

Let's consider a few things. A table leg, a broken bottle, a rock, a fork even, are all hard and/or sharp objects. Another creature is neither hard nor sharp, and if it's unwilling, it will try to lessen its impact as much as possible. It's basically like trying to use a heavy pillow as an improvised weapon, it wouldn't do any damage at all.

Secondly, per PHB p147, "An improvised weapon includes any object you can wield in one or two hands..." Creatures are not objects and are thus ineligible to be used as an improvised weapon.

But dead creatures are objects.

But what will you do when your goliath barbarian pick up an unconscious goblin and use it to smack another goblin?
Will you say "it is not allowed" or will you treat it like something that just happened? I personally will rule that a goblin resemble a great club and for improvised weapon act like one. I will probably make both of the goblins take the damage in order to not break the realness of the situation.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-24, 02:09 AM
In that exact situation I'd probably go for 1d4 for both (maybe 1d6 because goliaths use large weapons, and the human wizard couldn't have done this, so the unconscious goblin must have been a large weapon), and maybe without strength bonus for the unconscious one or something.

It's a fun and semi-realistic move that I want to reward, but not to the point that this will become his standard mode of operation because it's better than using a weapon.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-05-24, 02:33 AM
In that exact situation I'd probably go for 1d4 for both (maybe 1d6 because goliaths use large weapons, and the human wizard couldn't have done this, so the unconscious goblin must have been a large weapon), and maybe without strength bonus for the unconscious one or something.

It's a fun and semi-realistic move that I want to reward, but not to the point that this will become his standard mode of operation because it's better than using a weapon.

If you were my DM I was happy with this ruling even if it is different then my ruling.

From the players I know who will try something like this. Most of them will do it even if it is suboptimal because it will feel right to do..

So now that it look like under the right conditions some of us will allow the use of a creature as a weapon, how about throwing them as a weapon?

da newt
2020-05-24, 09:06 AM
How do you determine how far a PC can throw something/someone that weighs XX lbs? No mater what your ST, all the thrown weapons (except Javalin) can only be thrown 20' without DISADV and they weigh 2 or 3 lbs.

How far could a 20ST med sized PC throw a 50 lb goblin?

The closest thing I can find are Giants (and regular/giant apes) rock throwing rules, but they are Huge and are throwing rocks not bodies.