PDA

View Full Version : And The Crowd Goes Wild!

GigaGuess
2020-05-14, 07:59 PM
...Hopefully.

Trying to cook up an arena fight table for the PCs Showboating for the crowd. So far what I have is:

Take an action for a Performance Check, DC 14 (a 10 on the highest player's Perform score)
Meet the DC or exceed by 5, party gets +1 to the first attack roll on their next turn. Exceed by 6 or more, instead, party gets advantage on their next attack or save.
Fail by 5 or less, conversely, party gets -1 to the first attack roll on their next turn. Fail by 6 or more, disadvantage on the next attack or save.

Natural 20 gives the user a luck point that must be used in battle, Natural 1 gets a rotten fruit that can poison the player.

Thoughts or buy-in?

MaxWilson
2020-05-14, 08:07 PM
Thoughts or buy-in?

I'd handle it more like inspiration: subjectively, not with dice. If a player can do something that impresses the majority of the people sitting at the game table (including the DM), "the crowd goes wild!" and they get a luck point (or whatever). Dice may or may not be involved. It could be the perfect Harry Dresden put-down to a scary-looking foe to show you're not afraid, or a Battlemaster shooting an opponent's sword out of his hand for the wizard's owl familiar to steal, or turning your enemy into a chicken with Polymorph and making them lay an egg with Dominate Beast. Whatever surprises and delights.

Keep the focus on what the players at the table think is cool and everyone will have a good time.

Tanarii
2020-05-14, 10:21 PM
Use a whatever stat. https://theangrygm.com/the-whatever-stat/

It's a bit of a read, but you'll probably find it inspiring given he uses exactly what you're looking for as an example a couple of times.

GigaGuess
2020-05-15, 07:40 AM
Oh, I *LIKE* that. Yes, I can work with this.