PDA

View Full Version : Downtime rules?

JusticeZero
2020-05-14, 09:06 PM
Has anyone ever run a game heavily using downtime and base development rules in Pathfinder E6?
How well did it work, how complex and reasonable was it in practice, and does it generate enough adventure seeds to keep the group busy? What kind of tactics do the rules encourage?

Asmotherion
2020-05-15, 12:52 AM
Specifically no.

My general approach to downtime is about a month between adventures (might be more or less depending on weather they are actively looking for an other adventure or waiting for the adventure to find them). Players have the option to skip it, or play through parts of it. Sometimes I'll add some random encounters in the downtime.

Gnaeus
2020-05-15, 08:02 AM
Has anyone ever run a game heavily using downtime and base development rules in Pathfinder E6?
How well did it work, how complex and reasonable was it in practice, and does it generate enough adventure seeds to keep the group busy? What kind of tactics do the rules encourage?

We like the downtime rules but they don’t usually generate a lot of adventures by themselves. It’s more that they give more options for influencing the world. If you want to recruit a city watch or build a church or a spy network or gambling den or populate an island with cannibal cultists (all of which I’ve used them for) you can.

They are generally actually a money sink rather than a revenue machine unless you get a lot of down time, assuming your plan is for your teams to continue expanding.

We commonly use them for things like hiring a team (5) of skilled lackeys (wenches) to work in different taverns and report back unusual rumors (120 gp). Or hiring a Mage (Bard 3) to wander town and inflate our reputation (960 GP). Or for 3300 GP you can hire 50 elite soldiers to patrol the slums, maybe as a tool to show why you should be on the city council.