PDA

View Full Version : Battlesmith Artificer advice

Syjyl4488
2020-05-14, 10:42 PM
I’m looking for some good suggestions as to what to do with this class...currently playing a warforged artificer. Str 10, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 8. I already took the observant feat to get my wisdom to 14 and for the other benefits. I’m currently doing melee, switching to the light crossbow for ranged. I’m wondering how best to play him combat wise...I am currently 4th level, what would be good feats, infusions to use as I level up?...right now using the weapon enhancement and bag of holding, but the dm’s don’t typically enforce the rules for carrying capacity, so I’m wondering if I should simply switch to enhance weapon and repeating shot. I am considering dungeon delver and the alert feats, as well as what other infusions I should use as I level up. Any suggestions are welcome.

Pex
2020-05-14, 11:36 PM
The Defender is awesome. Giving disadvantage on an opponent's attack is a big deal, especially with the high AC you'll have. It becomes weaker later on when opponents get multi-attacks, but disadvantage on one attack is still good. Unlike the Protection fighting style the Defender only has to be next to the opponent doing the attacking, so you have more positioning freedom. The Defender attacking isn't a lot of damage, but it's still a nice extra at a cost of your Bonus action. Your DM might have an opponent attack your Defender. It has low AC, which hurts, but every attack against it is one attack not against you or a party member. You can always make a new one out of combat if need be, and if it survives the fight have Mending Cantrip to heal it up to full.

You're a tank. You're supposed to fight so do so. Use your spells to augment. At low level you don't have many spell slots so use them effectively. Faerie Fire is a good one. Absorb Elements and Shield are for emergencies. Take a range attack Cantrip along with Mending. When you need a range attack damage boost a neat trick is to use an Infusion to make an Alchemy Jug. That gives you two free flasks of acid per day. You can cast Catapult using an acid flask to deal 3d8 damage from the spell plus 2d6 more damage from the flask.

Wakarusa
2020-05-15, 09:41 AM
I'm considering a multi-class with mutant bh. Sagacity seems like a great boost.

Syjyl4488
2020-05-15, 11:20 AM
Pex, that’s a really cool idea...but I’m trying to focus on a melee build. Right now my can trips are mending and guidance, had shocking grasp but traded it when I hit 3rd level. I know I get the ability to smite next level, but I’m really looking for ideas to enhance my melee effectiveness and feat suggestions other than dungeon delver/alert. I typically use the crossbow for ranged combat.

Desamir
2020-05-15, 12:49 PM
Have you considered Great Weapon Fighting? Artificers have decent spell options for generating advantage (e.g. Faerie Fire, Web).

My Warforged Battle Smith uses the armor enhancement. 18 AC with scale mail and no shield is pretty good.

Syjyl4488
2020-05-15, 05:43 PM
Desamir...no I hadn’t, I had wanted to go sword and board, trying to be a tanker...I hadn’t even considered that...thx for the idea

Syjyl4488
2020-05-15, 05:55 PM
Problem is it would require a level dip for the gwf style to make it effective...I want to go for pure artificer...

Desamir
2020-05-15, 06:01 PM
Problem is it would require a level dip for the gwf style to make it effective...I want to go for pure artificer...

GWF style is equivalent to +1.3 damage per attack. Not really worth a dip.

Syjyl4488
2020-05-15, 08:29 PM
How do you deal with your infusions? With this setup I would have to have enhance weapon and defense active, no space for repeating shot infusion or other utility infusions...

Desamir
2020-05-15, 08:44 PM
Defense is optional, really, but if you're looking to be a frontliner it's worth keeping as a d8 class IMO. That's half a shield worth of AC.

I don't see the value of repeating shot if you're focusing on melee. (My battle smith took Fire Bolt as his ranged fallback option FWIW.) You do get your third infused item at 6th level, so utility infusions aren't too far off.

Syjyl4488
2020-05-15, 09:06 PM
I would have...but with the proficiencies I had it just didn’t seem worth it (plus extra attack at 5th would be better ranged with a crossbow infused). So, gwm huh? That seems like solid damage right there, what about the feats and infusions I mentioned? I’ll probably end up using enhanced weapon, defense, and repeating shot infusions at 6th if I go that route. Gauntlets of power for my steel defender and the headband of intellect for myself...guess I’d go ring of free action last, should I switch ew for radiant? Any other suggestions?