PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Anyone got a list of damaging spells that require attack rolls?

Saintheart
2020-05-15, 03:34 AM
Just doing some research for a Critical Hits handbook I'm working on. Complete Arcane (p. 85) seems to allow critical hits to apply to spells that require an attack roll, so long as the spell deals "actual damage".

Then we've got Skip Williams' Rules of the Game (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070731a):

Spells: Any spell that requires you to make a ranged attack roll to aim the spell is subject to all the rules that govern ranged attacks, including most feats that improve ranged attacks.

All spells that produce rays fall into this category. Other spells that have effect entries and produce effects that you throw or otherwise propel away from you also count as ranged attacks, provided that you actually use the effect at range. (See Rules of the Game: Reading Spell Descriptions) and page 175 in the Player's Handbook for a discussion of effect spells.) Other spells might also work as ranged attacks; check the spell's description to be sure.

I doubt I'm going to find anything particularly world-destroying in amongst all this, but does anyone happen to know if there's a list of spells somewhere out there which need an attack roll, or a ranged attack roll?