PDA

View Full Version : Is this good enough?

elyktsorb
2020-05-15, 07:33 AM
So I'm doing a oneshot this monday and I'm dead set on Wild Sorcerer for hits and giggles, we are lvl 5, I made my character a Yaun-ti Pureblood, we get to start with a feat at first lvl. And I have about 700 gold to buy common and uncommon magical items.

How do I make this the wildest snek in the world?

Specter
2020-05-15, 03:10 PM
Chaos Bolt should be a good spell.

Lunali
2020-05-15, 05:27 PM
Technically outside the range of what's available, but you could try to get a wand of wonder. While it has abilities powerful enough to make it rare, the effects are random enough that it could be considered balanced.

OldTrees1
2020-05-15, 05:31 PM
Talk with your DM about your expectations about Wild Magic. How often should it occur? The DM might call for a check every time you cast a spell (so 5% of your spellcasts get wild) or they might only ask every 10th spell (so only 0.5%). Setting expectations will help you both. (I like more surges myself)

ShikomeKidoMi
2020-05-15, 09:35 PM
For your first feat I'm going to recommend either War Caster or Resilient (Constitution)... Probably the former if your Con is even and the latter if your Con is odd.

However, Lucky is very thematic, so you might want to consider taking it later as it gives you yet another way to mess with dice rolls.

CTurbo
2020-05-15, 10:08 PM
Wild Sorcerer's are great when used properly actually. I agree with checking with on how they are going to rule Tides of Chaos. You should be using Tides of Chaos and rolling on your wild surge table all the time.

Tides of Chaos = spell = Wild Surge = Tides of Chaos = spell = Wild Surge = Tides of Chaos = spell = Wild Surge =Tides of Chaos = spell = Wild Surge = etc....

For free feat I highly recommend either Ritual Caster: Wizard to help make up for your lack of spells known. Magic Initiate is also good for Sorcs even if you just choose Mage Armor as your spell. It frees up a slot for something else. Warcaster isn't bad, but your hands aren't going to be full and you're likely not going to be in melee so I would skip. You are already proficient in Con saves so Res(Con) is a no go too although Res(Wis) isn't terrible.

Can't comment on purchasing magic items but something like Ring/Cloak of Protection should be easy to come by and +1 to saves and AC is always useful. Amulet of Heath to set your Con at 19 would be good too.

micahaphone
2020-05-16, 12:32 AM
Does 5E even have a set price list for magic items? Do you know what pricing your DM has for items?

OldTrees1
2020-05-16, 08:21 AM
Wild Sorcerer's are great when used properly actually. I agree with checking with on how they are going to rule Tides of Chaos. You should be using Tides of Chaos and rolling on your wild surge table all the time.

Agreed. I was merely talking about if the DM was going to have the 5% apply to every spell cast (not guaranteed) but checking how they will run Tides of Chaos is important too. Tides of Chaos gives your DM a wild surge they can optionally trigger sometime before your next long rest. The DM might forget or choose not to trigger the wild surge. Or they may wait for an interesting moment. It is not guaranteed to be the very next spell.

DrKerosene
2020-05-16, 09:38 AM
I am a fan of the Wand Of Wonder, I second asking for it.

That being said, I think a Robe Of Useful Items might be fun if you can do a looney toons style creation of a door or pit. May result in you getting even more money, if your DM rolls for results.

If it’s a one-shot, some Oil Of Slipperiness might serve you well.

Depending on the circumstances, a Potion Of Animal Friendship should allow you to steal multiple herds of creatures.

Both the Staff Of The Adder and the Staff Of The Python should be options for purchase.

Alchemy Jugs are cool. Do you want to do mayo shooters?

If you buy a Gem Of Brightness, that’s either 50 spells of second level, or 10 spells of level 3+. Very cost efficient compared to wands or scrolls, and very few things are immune to blindness. Can also pass it off to someone else in the Party if they’re nearly useless.