PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder A backstory psychic villain

Morrison
2020-05-15, 09:49 AM
I am writing up a villain who is a spiritualist, but my idea is that the spiritualist is really a pawn of his phantom, who is the one pulling the strings. The phantom is the spirit of a powerful villain (currently named Osragul) who had, in the backstory of this setting, held the region in a grip of terror. He was defeated and killed many years ago, but is returning as a phantom to corrupt a new generation and continue his evil schemes.
Think Voldemort on the back of Quirrell's head.

Since Osragul is returning as a phantom - rather than a lich or something - I think it makes sense that he was of some occult class in life, probably a psychic or maybe a mesmerist.

So basically my question is: what's a good way that a very powerful occult character and his cult of followers could have held an entire region in a reign of terror? Is there a specific monster that he might summon a horde of? I like the idea that maybe he tried to psychically dominate a monster that was a bit too powerful for him and maybe that's what killed him in the first place.
It doesn't need to be super-detailed as to how he did it because it's all in the backstory.