PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a Race by this saturday!

moonfly7
2020-05-15, 12:50 PM
So I've been asked to build a backup character for my session Saturday in the event that I die in a possibly lethal encounter I have caused. My backup character will be a build I mentioned in another thread: 2 levels moon druid, 2 levels artificer with the intent of going Artillerist. This odd combo is so I can become both a bear and an octopus with a gun(Inside jokes galore here). I rolled phenomenal stats: 17, 16, 16, 14, 13, 11, and I don't need any feats. So I'd like help choosing a fun and interesting race to fit my Druid Artificer combo.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-15, 01:00 PM
With those stats as a ranged character, I'd go Wood Elf and be sure to start with stealth proficiency.

elyktsorb
2020-05-15, 01:43 PM
Halfling Squad, form up.

Any halfling subrace would be good for you, Ghostwise will net you a Wisdom and easy communication while in Wildshape.

Lightfoot enables further sneaky shenanigans since you can turn into tiny creatures at will, which enables you to hide behind basically every creature for free.

Stout, uh, poison resist and con.

More importantly, statistically better dice rolls. Nothing is more satisfying than rolling a one to then reroll it and turn it into a 17, or even a 20.

Aett_Thorn
2020-05-15, 01:53 PM
The Marine Corps Marathon is always a good one

Contrast
2020-05-15, 01:53 PM
I have a soft spot for Firbolgs (racial abilities out the wazoo) and I've recently tried out goliaths as well and found the short rest damage reduction surprisingly relevant.

If in-jokes are your thing a Tortle named Donatello would work well for an artificer/inventor.

nickl_2000
2020-05-15, 02:10 PM
The Marine Corps Marathon is always a good one

Oh goodness, are you trying to kill us. I've heard about this race and when you have the Marines lining the race route yelling at your to keep going the entire way you nearly kill yourself!

As for the OP. Go with something that isn't normal. Aquatic Elf, Half-Orc, or Rock Gnome

Contrast
2020-05-15, 02:19 PM
As for the OP. Go with something that isn't normal. Aquatic Elf, Half-Orc, or Rock Gnome

This is a good point actually. I don't think I've ever seen an Aarakocra, Genasi or Triton in play. Go nuts!

moonfly7
2020-05-15, 02:21 PM
With those stats as a ranged character, I'd go Wood Elf and be sure to start with stealth proficiency.
Trying to go less traditional and optimized and more more fun and striking, also I plan on mostly shooting my guns in animal forms making dex boosts to my actual body less effective. But good suggestion otherwise.

Halfling Squad, form up.

Any halfling subrace would be good for you, Ghostwise will net you a Wisdom and easy communication while in Wildshape.

Lightfoot enables further sneaky shenanigans since you can turn into tiny creatures at will, which enables you to hide behind basically every creature for free.

Stout, uh, poison resist and con.

More importantly, statistically better dice rolls. Nothing is more satisfying than rolling a one to then reroll it and turn it into a 17, or even a 20.
You know, I've played orcs, I've played aasimar, I've played half elves and humans galore, I've played a kobold and have plans to play genasi elves, gbomes and firbolgs, but as awesome as they are I've never played a halfling. I might just do that one.

I have a soft spot for Firbolgs (racial abilities out the wazoo) and I've recently tried out goliaths as well and found the short rest damage reduction surprisingly relevant.

If in-jokes are your thing a Tortle named Donatello would work well for an artificer/inventor.
Might go for firbolg, mostly because I love the racial abilities but I'm trying to steer clear of the stereo typical so May be tritan for the abilities instead?

That's the idea. Although I lean more heavily towards the monstrous races and basically anything from volo's. So Maybe lizard folk or a hobgoblin or bugbear.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-15, 02:50 PM
A Goblin can disengage or hide as a bonus action, useful for getting advantage on your shots or backing away so you can shoot someone without taking disadvantage for being adjacent.

Gith are a bit steampunk-ish, and a Githzerai gets +2 Wis and some amazing additional spells known.

moonfly7
2020-05-15, 02:54 PM
After thinking and narrowing in my thoughts here are the races I'm choosing from which I could use some help narrowing down:
Eladrin
Centaur
Halfling
Lizardfolk
Minotaur
Tritan
these aren't really chosen for what they bring to the table but because I've never played them before and each of them both sounds interesting and provides some ridiculous roleplaying for this build.

Scarlet Knight
2020-05-15, 02:56 PM
Lizardman.

Falconcry
2020-05-15, 03:09 PM
My favourite non seen race is the Grung. As a leaping artillerist I picture Rocket vs the Ravagers from GotG 2. Being a druid as well gives you access to create/destroy water to make your needed bath for water dependancy.