PDA

View Full Version : 5e Drinling Race

Brother12
2020-05-15, 02:14 PM
This is based on the Drinling race from Brandon Mull's Beyonder series. I apologize for the format, it's from my phone.

Magically engineered by the wizard Eldrin before his war with Zokar, drinlings are about the size of humans but shorter and stockier with a coppery tint as well as metallic eyes. They are bred for war. Drinlings have no fear of death and seek for an honorable death in battle. They are renowned for their endurance and strength as they are capable of keeping pace with horses for long distance, neutralize humans with ease, and take multiple arrows unfazed. Rather than tire when exerting themselves, drinlings grow stronger, unlike humans who must rest and take days to recuperate. They are also capable of consuming almost any material besides metal for nutritional benefit. There is a catch though, these warriors only live to be about 2 years old. This is enough in their minds though. It has been said, "eighty years worth of energy compressed into two."

Size-Medium
Age-Adult within months and ancient if three years old
Speed-30ft

Ability Score Increase
+2 Con, +2 Str

Battleborn
Proficiency in Athletics and 1d4+Str unarmed strikes

Iron Palate
Can eat nearly any material besides metal and find it delicious

Warborn
Immune to disease and illness
Immune to the poison condition and have resistance to poison damage.

Extreme Endurance
When dropped to 0 hp, may expend a HD and regain that much health. Additionally, you lose all levels of exhaustion on a short rest. Can travel extreme distances without tiring.

Languages
Ji, a simple language comprised of one and two syllable words. Common

While I think it's okay, the Extreme Endurance ability can be abused by the Berzerker. The ASI is also more than normal, but I think it's fitting. How's the overall balance?

Vrock Bait
2020-05-16, 12:13 PM
Honestly, I don’t think Drinlings are very well suited for anything short of a one-shot. If the adventure takes any more than a few weeks, they’re going to be advancing age categories like crazy. Remember what happened with the drinlings in Chasing the Prophecy? It’s a fairly good idea for an NPC race, but I think maybe the Amar Kabul or displacers might be better PC races.

JNAProductions
2020-05-16, 12:21 PM
It's overtuned.

+2 Con and +2 Str are an excellent combo, and even if you don't use the Strength, +2 Con is still good.
1d4 Unarmed Strikes is mostly a ribbon, but Athletics proficiency is good.
Iron Palate is a ribbon in most games.
Warborn is really strong-immunity to Poisoned and resistance to poison damage is quite good.
Extreme Endurance is RIDICULOUSLY good, since it means you can't die form normal attacks as long as you have HD left.

Compare to a Mountain Dwarf.

+2 Str and Con-identical
Speed 25'-your race is normal speed, not slow
Darkvision-your race lacks it, which actually is a reasonable drawback
Tool Proficiency-you get a much more valuable skill
Dwarven Resilience-like Warborn, but weaker
Stonecunning-a ribbon, comparable to Iron Palate
Medium Armor Proficiency-an anti synergistic feature, since you either need Strength and don't need the armor, or need the armor and don't need Strength

Brother12
2020-05-16, 08:00 PM
Yeah, with Extreme Endurance, I was going for a Half Orc feel but more interesting.

Thanks for answering. I think it really would be much better as NPC race than PC. Amar Kabul and displacer would be awesome though.

Vrock Bait
2020-05-18, 11:47 AM
Looking forward to that! I’ve been toying with 3.5e stats of Lyrian races myself.