PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever done a Freddy Krueger write up?

eyebreaker7
2020-05-15, 07:59 PM
I think he'd be pretty fun but have no idea where to start except he's human and is vulnerable to fire. Is he considered undead? What does his glove do? How cool is his hat? What sort of spells would he have if any? Lets throw some ideas together and do this guy up :)

TheCount
2020-05-16, 05:38 AM
maybe shadowcaster and go into fearspinner? as for the glove.... manyfanged dagger?
though, a psion might do better.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-16, 08:50 AM
For the character himself, I'd categorize pretty much everything he does as plot powers. It would be a unique monster with specific spell-like or supernatural abilities and special attacks, not an actual character build.

For a thematic build, include Dread Witch in HoH and/or Nightmare Spinner in CM, those are generally the best classes for generating fear effects. You can start taking Dread Witch as early as 4th level, so you can have both maxed out by 13th.

zlefin
2020-05-16, 09:30 AM
I recall some notes from a prior discussion years ago;

I agree with the above poster that it's mostly a custom build. Freddy is clearly some form of ghost, with custom special attacks that function as a sort of mix of phantasmal killer and dream.

Freddy is also rather weak by dnd standards. He's powered by fear, and fights regular teenagers, occasionally losing. Going up against seasoned adventurers would go poorly for him; even moreso for ones with magic.

StSword
2020-05-16, 12:59 PM
Little Red Goblin's Guide to Lichdom for Pathfinder actually includes an alternate lich template that is essentially Freddy Krueger the template, if anyone wants to check it out.

daremetoidareyo
2020-05-16, 01:57 PM
Quori probably fits the bill. Sink some ranks into lucid dreaming and dream scion and use lucid dreaming checks to change the environment

Arcane_Secrets
2020-05-28, 09:43 PM
I think he'd be pretty fun but have no idea where to start except he's human and is vulnerable to fire. Is he considered undead? What does his glove do? How cool is his hat? What sort of spells would he have if any? Lets throw some ideas together and do this guy up :)

I thought this was a really interesting question and its helping me think about how to do some writeups that I haven't considered otherwise for a long time. So, some thoughts, bearing in mind I haven't watched the movies since last halloween:

1) He's undead, but he's almost 'ghost-like'. He seems to have limited abilities to manifest fully except around objects of importance to him like the glove or his physical remains (which he reanimated to fight with/defend himself in one of the movies).

2) I'd say that under normal circumstances he can't really manifest himself, but across an area (and a fairly vast one, like the original city he came from/Elm Street) he's got something like lifesense which allows him to sense whenever someone in the area is dreaming (probably with saving throw penalties if they're either related to him or have fought him before), and once they are dreaming/asleep force a Will save in order to enter their dreams.

3) Once they're dreaming his powers of course are a lot more vast. At a minimum, he can possess victims and force them to kill themselves (I don't know if Pathfinder has rules for this, but 3e Fiend Folio and I think perhaps BoVD do). He's clearly got a lot of telekinesis well beyond what the spell would normally allow as well as shapechanging/forced polymorphing. He would have the ability to alter certain elements of his environs per round in ways that translate into the physical deaths in the real world (like in the first movie or the television scene).

4) Virtually impossible to penetrate regeneration and DR considering how many things just basically did nothing to him. Fire would definitely be one thing. So would his knife-glove iirc. Rogue/assassin for the death attacks. He's fast, strong, charismatic in a wholly evil way, but not very wise and more cunning than intellectual.