PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Hawk guard path of War advice some d20m

Nosta
2020-05-15, 10:29 PM
The new campaign my group is doing is set in our home brew world a distant dystopia of our own Earth sometime in the near future magic is revealed to the world and monsters from D&D appear and our world if unable to handle it and our governments fall and Life Changes forever the game is set 2000 years after the Apocalypse much has changed in the world and the human race is just starting to make a comeback the Americas wants for life if not desolate Wasteland known as the Western recovery font most people go care to search for lost artifacts from the past and Technology to help improve Life as We Know It my character is a mercenary who is a hawk guard Trump at War we are allowed D20 modern feats are allowed to use weapons for D20 modern up to Faith level seven or 8 I forgot I am planning on getting a Beretta machine pistol for my weapon and I would like to combine it with or when and Tempest Gale

Any advice on Feats I should rake? kind eyeing double tap

We start at level 5

Ramza00
2020-05-15, 11:24 PM
Hawk guard is a level 1, 3, 5 class or a full option you never leave. I bring this up for Prestige Classes are encouraged with Path of War, you grab 2 or more classes and use practiced initiator to advance your main class at full IL, and your secondary classes still get maneuver swaps at 4, 6, 8, and so on.

Hawkguard level 1, ranged defensive focus is advanced by IL.

Hawkguard level 3 gives a new ability, allowing you to fire in melee with no penalty.

Hawkguard level 5 gives a once a day ability to share counters with your allies. Each additional 3 levels give you 1 more use.

Hawkguard level 7 gives evasion which is meh to medium, stalwart at 12 is nice though.

——————

So a Hawkguard Warder 3/Rajah 1/Warlord—Desperado 1/Path of War Prestige Class X

At level 5
Will have an IL of 5 with Warlord (all 6 maneuvers can be 3rd level), IL 4 with Warder (2 2nd level and 5 1st level due to IL4 swap), and the 5 1st level maneuvers with Rajah at IL 3.

4 Ready Warlord, 4 Ready Warder, 3 Ready Rajah.

But each prestige class level will advance the IL of all 3 classes. Thus you get maneuver swaps, extra maneuvers from the prestige class, and the ranged extension at HD6, HD11, HD16. Rajah also gives you some benefits to your allies such as using counters on them, 2 different title veils on 2 different allies, re-save an ally saving throw as a standard action plus your charisma, etc.

Or you can pick a different combination of 2 level 1 dips. For example mystic prior to animus adept and so on. You have choices if you want to go this route. Yet Warder can be great on its own.

upho
2020-05-18, 08:54 PM
Any advice on Feats I should rake?This depends very much on which specific rules are used for firearms. The PF rules for a "Guns Everywhere" setting (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipmenT/weapons/firearms/#Firearms_in_Your_Campaign) - which is most likely what our present day Earth would remain as also after this apocalypse - and the closest equivalent WWII firearms (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/firearms/modern-firearms) differ from those of D20 Modern in quite a few very important areas, such as:

1. Attacks vs Touch AC
In PF, attacks with advanced or modern firearms are resolved against the target's touch AC if the target is within the weapon's first 5 range increments, while attacks with D20 firearms are resolved like any other weapon attacks against the target's Defense value. Which rules are used in this game?

2. Proficiency
All PF firearms are Simple Weapons (not exotic), while D20 ones require proficiency feats (such as Personal Firearms Proficiency) not granted to any PF class by default. Which rules are used in this game?

3. Misfire
Virtually all PF firearms, including modern ones, have a misfire chance, which no D20 firearms have. Which rules are used in this game? (Note again that the PF "modern firearms" are from the WWII era, and IRL these are of course much less reliable than present day firearms. So if the aim is to simulate present day firearms like those in D20, misfire most likely shouldn't be a thing in this game.)

4. Prices
PF early and advanced firearms and ammo cost 10% of their listed price (already adjusted for in the tables for PF's few modern firearms), while D20 has an abstract Wealth bonus and uses a Purchase DC for all items. Which rules are used in this game?

5. Automatic Weapon Quality
Full auto spraying (the default for machine guns) in PF is an attack resolved against the (touch) AC of all targets in a line (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/firearms/modern-firearms), while in D20 it's a 10 x 10 AoE attack vs Defense 10, a hit dealing damage only to those in the area which fail a (set) DC 15 Reflex save. Basically, the only thing these rules have in common is that a full auto attack expends 10 pieces of ammo per default. PF's full auto rules can make such attacks and related weapons a great option, while the D20 rules make them virtually useless in a game otherwise based on the PF general rules (the set DC 15 Reflex save to avoid the damage being way too low beyond the very earliest levels). Which rules are used in this game, and do these differ depending on the weapon used? How does the related D20 Burst Fire (http://www.d20resources.com/modern.d20.srd/feats/burst.fire.php) feat work?

6. Damage Bonuses and Options
Per RAW, the PF gunslinger gains the gun training feature at 1st level instead of the gunsmith feature in this type of setting, which makes a 1-level gunslinger dip for Dex to gun damage a no-brainer for most damage focused builds. And other static damage bonuses to ranged attacks are generally considerably greater in PF than they are in D20, not to mention the number of ranged attacks one can make per full attack and/or round can be much higher in PF (due to Deadly Aim, numerous boosts and stances, easy access to haste effects, etc). On top of this, there are several times more numerous other great options for firearms/ranged in PF than in D20 (such as ranged combat maneuvers, martial maneuvers, magic weapon special abilities, ranged AoOs, deeds, etc, etc). These allow for very effective ranged combat styles not relying on dealing hp damage in PF, which is impossible in D20. Can the gun related PF options be used also with the D20 weapons in this game?

If you could post the rules for these things in this game (I recommend you ask your GM if there's anything you don't yet know), I'd be happy to help you out.

kind eyeing double tapAssuming at least point #1 and #5 above follow the PF rules and the "+1 die of damage" in the feat benefit refers to what PF defines as a damage die (i.e. not an individual physical die, but the one or more physical dice listed under "Damage" in the weapon tables), doubling the base damage die at the cost of -2 attack and 1 extra piece of ammo makes for a pretty awesome damage feat all by itself.

However, it's probably a good idea to ask your GM how this feat is actually is supposed to work with related PF options in this game. At least AFAICT, as written it could unfortunately easily allow for absolutely stupid amounts of damage that would likely be ridiculously OP (most notably if combined with a weapon with a large base damage die, damage die size increases and Vital Strike stuff).