Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+9 natural, +1 size), touch 11, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+11
Attack: Bite +12 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: Bite +12 melee (1d6+5)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, improved grab, swallow whole
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., extradimensional gullet, low-light vision, powerful build, scent
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +5
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 10, Con 20, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Appraise +10, Disguise +1*, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +10, Survival +1 (+3 underground), Use Magic Device +13
Feats: Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Skill Focus (Use Magic Device)
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Triple standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 7-11 HD (Small), 12-24 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +0 (cohort)

Your rogue reaches for the treasure chest's lid - then screams as it opens of its own volition to reveal a toothy maw and lashing tongue. Two glowing red eyes flare to life as the mimic lunges forward to attack.

Inspired by the spells secret chest and animate objects, wicked spellcasters occasionally create mimics to serve as guards and beasts of burden. The creatures are as cunning and covetous as any dragon, and lair in ancient ruins and arcane fortresses.

Mimics prefer to simply devour adventurers and harvest their wealth, but can occasionally be persuaded or intimidated into divulging useful secrets or about their environs.

Mimics speak Undercommon, on the rare occasions that they deign to speak at all.

Combat
A mimic at rest resembles an ordinary treasure chest. It is generally content to wait for unsuspecting prey to come within melee range before striking.

A mimic makes intelligent use of any magic items it possesses.

Breath Weapon (Su)
As a standard action a mimic may fire coins, gems, art objects, and other treasures from its interior in a 30-foot cone that deals 6d6 points of bludgeoning and slashing damage (Reflex DC 18 for half damage). Once a mimic uses this ability it must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Any treasure used in this way by the mimic remains intact and may be collected after an encounter (i.e. it is simply deducted from the value of the treasure rolled for the creature itself). A mimic with no remaining treasure in its interior cannot use this breath weapon.

Extradimensional Gullet (Su)
A mimic's interior is larger than the creature itself. It may hold 1 creature or object up to two size categories larger than the mimic, up to 4 creatures or objects up to one size category larger than the mimic, up to 16 creatures or objects of the same size category as the mimic, or any number of creatures or objects smaller than the mimic. The benefit of the creature's Powerful Build special quality (see below) is already included in this effect.

A mimic can regurgitate specific creatures or objects at will, and may exclude any number of swallowed creatures and objects from the damaging effects of being swallowed. Swallowed creatures will still run out of air even if protected from this damage.

A mimic in the area of an antimagic field or similar effect may still swallow creatures and objects, but cannot regurgitate them voluntarily.

Improved Grab (Ex)
A mimic that hits with a bite attack may start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can attempt to swallow the foe the following round.

Powerful Build (Ex)
A mimic is treated as a creature of its own size or one size category larger, whichever is most beneficial for the creature at the time.

Swallow Whole (Ex)
A mimic can try to swallow a grabbed opponent up to two size categories larger than itself by making a successful grapple check. The benefit of the creature's Powerful Build special quality (see above) is already included in this effect. Once inside, the opponent takes 1d8+5 points of crushing damage plus 2d4 points of acid damage per round from the mimic’s gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 25 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 15). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

Skills
*Mimics have a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks to appear as inanimate treasure chests.

DracoDei
2020-05-16, 09:04 PM
What is your motivation for creating this? Or to put it another way, what narrative and/or tactical purposes of the game does this serve better than the default mimic?

Is this supposed to completely replace the default mimic, or do they each have their own niche to you?

rferries
2020-05-17, 03:52 PM
What is your motivation for creating this? Or to put it another way, what narrative and/or tactical purposes of the game does this serve better than the default mimic?

Is this supposed to completely replace the default mimic, or do they each have their own niche to you?

No particular goal, just was collecting art for another homebrew project and was inspired when I saw this one haha. I do have an irrational dislike for the official mimic's adhesive and shapechanging properties, I suppose.

Segev
2020-05-18, 03:33 PM
No particular goal, just was collecting art for another homebrew project and was inspired when I saw this one haha. I do have an irrational dislike for the official mimic's adhesive and shapechanging properties, I suppose.

This is nifty, but I have to say that I come at the irritation from an entirely different direction: to me, D&D mimics were the originals, so I'm actually more annoyed that mimics in other media are limited to treasure chests. In fact, in D&D 5e, I've used mimics so far to be mimics, and to do the jobs of a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing, and a Trapper (ooze-monster that disguises itself as a floor).

The trapper is one I'll have to use again; my players actually missed it so thoroughly that it didn't even get to go off, and the adhesive combined with "you walked on it" should be pretty spectacular.

rferries
2020-05-19, 12:30 PM
This is nifty, but I have to say that I come at the irritation from an entirely different direction: to me, D&D mimics were the originals, so I'm actually more annoyed that mimics in other media are limited to treasure chests. In fact, in D&D 5e, I've used mimics so far to be mimics, and to do the jobs of a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing, and a Trapper (ooze-monster that disguises itself as a floor).

I can't explain it even to myself - my first mimics were the D&D originals too, yet they always slightly bugged me as too "ecological" (in a way that gelatinous cubes, cloakers, even otyughs didn't). The Final Fantasy 9 and Dungeon Siege 2 versions just seemed to appeal more.

Segev
2020-05-20, 10:50 AM
I can't explain it even to myself - my first mimics were the D&D originals too, yet they always slightly bugged me as too "ecological" (in a way that gelatinous cubes, cloakers, even otyughs didn't). The Final Fantasy 9 and Dungeon Siege 2 versions just seemed to appeal more.

Can you explain what you mean by "ecological," either by additional examples or by trying to define it directly? The mental image the word conjures for me is one I'm pretty sure you don't mean, since it evokes to me images of "druids" and "shambling mounds."

rferries
2020-05-22, 07:45 PM
Can you explain what you mean by "ecological," either by additional examples or by trying to define it directly? The mental image the word conjures for me is one I'm pretty sure you don't mean, since it evokes to me images of "druids" and "shambling mounds."

Sorry, was imprecise in my language. For lack of a better word I'll say "biological" - a creature with flesh, internal organs, etc. I much prefer the idea of them being more like animated objects, rather than living creatures in the shape of objects. I'm even considering removing the stomach acid and changing the creature type to construct to make them into true "enchanted chests" rather than biological entities.

Again, this isn't a rational preference haha!

Debihuman
2020-05-26, 01:00 PM
One party I was in hired a mimic to be our front door and to guard the building we had acquired. It could eat anyone but our friends and relations while we were gone and we’d give it a share of treasure when we got back.

I would think living creatures kept in the gullet would suffocate even if they avoided the crushing and acid damage from being swallowed. Also, being vomited out is kinda gross.

I would cap the the value of the breath weapon so parties can’t abuse it. Also, works of art would be smashed on impact so you probably should limit this to coins, gems, and jewelry. Couldn’t it spit out dross that looks pretty but has no actual value?

Rust monsters and auromvoraxes must love these things.

rferries
2020-06-07, 05:35 PM
One party I was in hired a mimic to be our front door and to guard the building we had acquired. It could eat anyone but our friends and relations while we were gone and we’d give it a share of treasure when we got back.

I love that idea!

I would think living creatures kept in the gullet would suffocate even if they avoided the crushing and acid damage from being swallowed. Also, being vomited out is kinda gross.

Good point, I'll edit that in.

I would cap the the value of the breath weapon so parties can’t abuse it. Also, works of art would be smashed on impact so you probably should limit this to coins, gems, and jewelry. Couldn’t it spit out dross that looks pretty but has no actual value?

Rust monsters and auromvoraxes must love these things.

The treasure it uses for the breath comes from the creature's existing hoard, though I suppose that logically means it can run out of breath at some point. I'll edit that too.

Debihuman
2020-06-08, 07:31 AM
It's even better with the revisions.

Instead of calling it a revised mimic (which is boring), why not call it a treasure hoarder mimic? I think it is distinct enough to warrant its own name. If I use it, that's what I'll be calling it.

Debby

jjordan
2020-06-08, 09:08 AM
Very Gygaxian. The breath weapon attack is fun.

DracoDei
2020-06-08, 06:34 PM
Instead of calling it a revised mimic (which is boring), why not call it a treasure hoarder mimic? I think it is distinct enough to warrant its own name. If I use it, that's what I'll be calling it.
This is a good idea.

rferries
2020-06-12, 07:34 AM
It's even better with the revisions.

Debby

This is a good idea.

Feel free! I just use "revised" as shorthand for my revamped material, but they could certainly be a new species. "Treasure hoarder" is flavourful and direct, I like it.

Very Gygaxian. The breath weapon attack is fun.

Merci!