PDA

View Full Version : Pact of the Eye - Orcish Themed Warlock Pact - Feedback Appreciated

Aodh
2020-05-16, 12:59 PM
Pact of the Eye

Your patron is Gruumsh, chief god of the orcs who rages endlessly against the crimes of the deities of elves, humans and dwarves. Gruumsh’s motivations typically range around the spread of chaos, acting on instinct and exacting revenge against those species who betrayed the orcs. When Gruumsh grants his powers to a follower he invariably demands a price; the gouging of one of their eyes. This could also be used for a tribal warrior-warlock in other contexts.

Expanded Spell List
Gruumsh lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

Spells
1st
bless, heroism
2nd
augury, branding smite
3rd
elemental weapon, lightning bolt
4th
arcane eye, staggering smite
5th
steel wind strike, skill empowerment

Eternal Spite
Starting at 1st level, when you hit a creature with a melee attack you can use your bonus action to unleash the eternal spite of Gruumsh upon your foe’s mind. The creature takes additional psychic damage equal to your proficiency bonus, raising to double your proficiency bonus when you reach 8th level in this class.

Warrior of Gruumsh
At 1st level, you acquire the training necessary to fulfil your role as the arm of a war god. You gain proficiency with medium armor and martial weapons.

Gruumsh also allows you to share in his passion for weaponry. Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. This benefit lasts until you finish a long rest. If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon’s type.

Baleful Gaze
Starting at 6th level, you can feed the hatred of Gruumsh with the sacrifice of a person or fey you slay. When you slay a humanoid or fey, you can channel the resultant spiritual energy to unleash a beam of festering green energy dealing force damage equal to 1d8 + your charisma modifier from your empty eye socket to a target of your choice within 60ft.

At 10th level the damage increases to 2d8 and at 16th to 3d8.

You may use this feature a number of times equal to your charisma modifier per long rest.

Ferocious Resilience
Starting at 10th level, Gruumsh grants you the protection of your own hatred. You are immune to being frightened and can use a reaction to spend a hit dice and reduce physical damage or force damage by the amount rolled.

The Battles of Nishrek
Starting at 14th level, when you hit a creature with an attack, you can use this feature to open miniature gates in an area equal to a 10ft radius, forcing a number of creatures of your choice equal to your charisma modifier into Acheron, specifically Gruumsh’s eternal battleground of Nishrek. The creature disappears and is assailed by the endless warfare found there.

At the end of your next turn, the target returns to the space it previously occupied, or the nearest unoccupied space. It takes 5d10 force damage as it experiences the tolls of Acheron’s fiercest battlefield. The prejudices of the Orcs there are more severe against elf kind, and elves instead take 6d10 force damage through this ability.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

JNAProductions
2020-05-16, 01:27 PM
Bless and Command are both REALLY powerful spells.
As is Spiritual Weapon.
I'd just be leery of handing out such potent spells to someone who doesn't usually get them.

Polearms feels... Odd. I don't associate Polearms with Orcs.

Baleful Gaze needs range limitations (as written, you could stab a commoner to death then laser eye someone on a different plane) but otherwise feels very weak.

Ferocious Resilience is pretty early to get unlimited resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing. Not enough monsters have magic attacks to make this balanced.

Hateful Smite feels pretty weak. Even with it auto-hitting, it's just... Meh.

Aodh
2020-05-16, 01:39 PM
Bless and Command are both REALLY powerful spells.
As is Spiritual Weapon.
I'd just be leery of handing out such potent spells to someone who doesn't usually get them.

Polearms feels... Odd. I don't associate Polearms with Orcs.

Baleful Gaze needs range limitations (as written, you could stab a commoner to death then laser eye someone on a different plane) but otherwise feels very weak.

Ferocious Resilience is pretty early to get unlimited resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing. Not enough monsters have magic attacks to make this balanced.

Hateful Smite feels pretty weak. Even with it auto-hitting, it's just... Meh.

Thank you for the feedback! The polearms are there because spears are the signature weapon of Gruumsh and the Eyes of Gruumsh, which this class is inspired by. I’ll add the range to the eye attack (60ft?) and make the dice scale by level. Maybe 2d8 at level 8 and 3d8 at 16?

I could switch the non-magical resistances to non-magical bludgeoning and 1d8 temp when you land a killing blow? For hateful smite I could always double the damage or have it do something like double your next baleful gaze, or even recharge a spell slot if it kills? Or give group-wide temp hp?

I’m quite attached to bless and spiritual weapon but I can totally swap out command. Or revisit them all if you think it’s very dire.

JNAProductions
2020-05-16, 01:47 PM
Bless is probably okay, because most parties don't need more than a 2nd or 3rd level Bless so you'll end up wasting the scaling.

Spiritual Weapon is likely too good to stay, though.

Perhaps for Resilience, a reaction to reduce physical damage by some amount?

Hateful Smite is just... Not very inspiring. I'd try to brainstorm a new feature.

Aodh
2020-05-16, 02:13 PM
Bless is probably okay, because most parties don't need more than a 2nd or 3rd level Bless so you'll end up wasting the scaling.

Spiritual Weapon is likely too good to stay, though.

Perhaps for Resilience, a reaction to reduce physical damage by some amount?

Hateful Smite is just... Not very inspiring. I'd try to brainstorm a new feature.

I’ve made a number of changes to all of the features, how do you feel they’ve turned out?

JNAProductions
2020-05-16, 02:16 PM
Spell list looks better.

Warrior of Gruumsh, just allow any weapon. It ain't gonna break anything.

Ferocious Resilience does NOT need a "non-magical" clause. You're spending a limited resource to do it.

15' Radius is a big area. That's, assuming it's centered on a corner of a square, 36 squares. If it's once per long rest, it still might be OP. Also, it doesn't have an action to activate or a limitation on uses at the moment, but I'm assuming it's supposed to, and you just forgot to add those.

Aodh
2020-05-16, 02:23 PM
Spell list looks better.

Warrior of Gruumsh, just allow any weapon. It ain't gonna break anything.

Ferocious Resilience does NOT need a "non-magical" clause. You're spending a limited resource to do it.

15' Radius is a big area. That's, assuming it's centered on a corner of a square, 36 squares. If it's once per long rest, it still might be OP. Also, it doesn't have an action to activate or a limitation on uses at the moment, but I'm assuming it's supposed to, and you just forgot to add those.

Ooh, that’s an excellent catch, thank you! I’ve added an action to use and once-per-long-rest caveat. I’ve also made the other changes. Do you think I should lower the radius to 10 feet?

JNAProductions
2020-05-16, 02:55 PM
I think the ability is too powerful just in general. Advantage on all attack rolls, as well as a chance to stun them on each of their turns, is crazy good. Maybe just have it be similar to Hurl Through Hell, where it's more damage-yours can be AoE instead of single target, though should obviously have less damage per person.

Aodh
2020-05-16, 03:01 PM
I think the ability is too powerful just in general. Advantage on all attack rolls, as well as a chance to stun them on each of their turns, is crazy good. Maybe just have it be similar to Hurl Through Hell, where it's more damage-yours can be AoE instead of single target, though should obviously have less damage per person.

Do you think if I put a number of creatures equal to your charisma mod I should put it at 6, 5 or 4 d10?

JNAProductions
2020-05-16, 03:09 PM
Do you think if I put a number of creatures equal to your charisma mod I should put it at 6, 5 or 4 d10?

I think 5d10 sounds about right. More targets, but half the damage.

Aodh
2020-05-16, 03:16 PM
I think 5d10 sounds about right. More targets, but half the damage.

Thanks again! I’ve put up a new ability.