PDA

View Full Version : Player Help GoT styled campaign, character help

Master O'Laughs
2020-05-16, 05:23 PM
About to start a new campaign with heavy intrigue aspects and lots of RP. We would be running a town in a kingdom. I am thinking of making a blood hunter and taking the "Magnate" position which involves running a business and bringing in the money.

I was thinking of making a blood hunter and the business would be monster hunting. Here is the catch, we start at lvl 5 (6500 xp) but we can spend xp to pick different starting options which would in turn lower our level.

We are using standard point buy as a base, but for example, I can choose to start at lvl 1 and get the starting stats 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 12 or I can spend 2700 xp and roll stats (the caveat being if I roll terrible I get refunded the expended experience).

Other various options include:

2700 xp - uncommon magic item
2700 xp - advantage on Intelligence (Arcana) checks when investigating the nature of a magical object or device and 4 attunement slots
6500 xp (lvl 1) - Zodiac sign notable ones are:

1) 40 extra starting hp
2) 1/LR as a BA heal half your total HP
3) 1/SR add or subtract a d10 to ability check, attack roll, or saving throw
4) 1/SR add 20 to a ranged attack roll
5) add 10 to Dex (stealth) checks and you cannot be detected or targeted by divination magic including scrying sensors

I really love some of the Zodiac signs, but those guaranteed starting stats seem hard to pass up.

Advice appreciated. I am also not currently concerned about Race but wouldn't mind thoughts on Blood Hunter order

MrStabby
2020-05-16, 05:38 PM
It seems hard to resist buying the better stats, especially if you have a team to carry you.

Given the quadratic growth of XP needed to reach the following level, a small XP setback early on will quickly dissapear.

Else the : "3) 1/SR add or subtract a d10 to ability check, attack roll, or saving throw" option seems pretty damn solid. Worth taking if there are going to be a lot of casters - it makes counterspell awesome and will help with some potentially crucial saves. Multiple times per day as well. Alot really useful if you are something like a rogue with booming blade that really needs to make that one attack hit.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-16, 05:47 PM
Go for the rolled stats, if they're not anything special refund it. See if there are more signs available, make up one that would super-benefit your character that's in line with the others' power and propose it to your DM.

Master O'Laughs
2020-05-16, 08:12 PM
Go for the rolled stats, if they're not anything special refund it. See if there are more signs available, make up one that would super-benefit your character that's in line with the others' power and propose it to your DM.

So my only concern is if I roll six 8's I will be stuck with those stats, I will just be level 5.

There were a few other signs that just didn't interest me. 1 gives resistance to lightning and thunder damage and you can cast Thunderwave 1+wis times per day. It eventually lets you cast the spell at will and at lvl 18 gives you thunder immunity.

Another does the same thing but with burning hands and fire damage and it is 1+Cha times per day at first.

Another lets you choose to hit with an attack if you miss 1/SR

clarification on the +10 to an attack, ability or saving throw roll, it is only for another creature. So it cannot be used on yourself.

Party is 2 bards, a cleric, and a wizard. Wizard is definitely going for the super stats and will be level 1. The cleric is maybe just going for a magic weapon. Not sure on the bards.

Master O'Laughs
2020-05-16, 08:17 PM
Oher options are for 900 xp you can drink potions as a bonus action.

2700 xp you can cast 2 regular spells on a turn but 1 of them cannot be higher than 2nd or third level.

Also another Zodiac sign lets you misty step 1/SR. I was thinking on Eladrin anyways so did not consider it.

MrStabby
2020-05-16, 08:39 PM
Oher options are for 900 xp you can drink potions as a bonus action.

2700 xp you can cast 2 regular spells on a turn but 1 of them cannot be higher than 2nd or third level.

Also another Zodiac sign lets you misty step 1/SR. I was thinking on Eladrin anyways so did not consider it.

So hold person then scorching ray is allowed? Or at higer levels hold monster and eldritch blast?

Master O'Laughs
2020-05-16, 08:59 PM
So hold person then scorching ray is allowed? Or at higer levels hold monster and eldritch blast?

either your bonus action or action can cast a leveled spell of any level and then the second casting has to be no higher then either 2nd level or lower.

As a blood hunter leaning order of Lycan or Ghost slayer it doesn't interest me but was just posting the other options on the table. One of the bards mentioned going for the 2 leveled spells option.

J-H
2020-05-16, 10:09 PM
Personally, I would go for rolled stats if the method is good - it's a free one to risk - plus the extra attunement slot. Aside from the +40HP or the massive stealth boost zodiac options, none of the others look worthwhile. Meanwhile, an extra attunement slot eventually gets you +1 ac/saves, or advantage on saves vs magic, or spider climb, or flight, or __(fill in the blank)__. As long as the loot is handed out according to DMG guidelines, you'll run up against attunement caps at about level 8-9.

Master O'Laughs
2020-05-17, 10:18 AM
Personally, I would go for rolled stats if the method is good - it's a free one to risk - plus the extra attunement slot. Aside from the +40HP or the massive stealth boost zodiac options, none of the others look worthwhile. Meanwhile, an extra attunement slot eventually gets you +1 ac/saves, or advantage on saves vs magic, or spider climb, or flight, or __(fill in the blank)__. As long as the loot is handed out according to DMG guidelines, you'll run up against attunement caps at about level 8-9.

Method for rolling is standard 4d6 drop lowest. I have had mixed success in the past which makes me wary of rolling, but it would be great if I got at least slightly better starting stats and was able to be level 4

Bobthewizard
2020-05-17, 11:41 AM
I'd keep the standard array, take the 40HP and start at level 1 as a martial character, going variant human with pole arm master. Start with 16 in STR.

You'll start with 53HP, just fine for level 5. You'll have the BA attack from PAM and frequently the reaction attack to keep your damage respectable. At that point, you could hang with a party of 5th level characters. You're not that far behind. By the time the party gets to level 6, you'll be level 5 and have 89HP and an 18 STR which would be amazing.

As others have said you'll catch up quickly, and as you do you'll be an amazing tank. I think that would work for a blood hunter but I'm not too familiar with the class.

I think your wizard is crazy. Straight 20's wouldn't be worth dropping a wizard from level 5 to level 1. Trying to get through a 5th level dungeon with 11HP and only 3 first level spells per day would be suicide.

Mikal
2020-05-17, 11:42 AM
For everyone saying the rolled stats are risk free, he still has to keep the rolls. Which means if he’s unlucky and gets 3-7-6-9-10-10 he has to keep them.

He only gets the exp back.

That being said I’d go guaranteed stats

Bobthewizard
2020-05-17, 04:02 PM
I just read through the blood hunter on DND Beyond and I definitely think you should take the HP. Crimson rites and amplified blood curses both cost HP, so the more you have the better. The extra HP eliminates the downside of being a blood hunter.

Then blood hunter eliminates the offensive downside of being behind in levels compared to other martial characters. At level 1, curse of the marked let's you increase your damage in one fight per SR, then by level 2, your crimson rite lets you increase your damage all day.

The crimson rite and curse of marked both also synergize well with PAM, though the curse needs a round of set-up.

sambojin
2020-05-17, 10:21 PM
I'd start at level 5 with the standard array. For what's essentially a fighter with a bit of other stuff, ie: A Bloodhunter, they're not bad stats.

I'd probably grab Blood Curse of Exposure (enemies losing resistance or immunity is amazing. It helps the entire party. Even you, if you don't have a magic weapon).

Then go for Order of the Mutant. There's a Dex mutagen. There's a Str mutagen. Pick one. Or you can just have advantage on Dex rolls (including initiative). You get four, so there's options, and they become very powerful at 7th (two mutagens a rest) and 11th (non-concentration flying speed).

So if you think your stats aren't great for a fighter, they now are.

Choose a race that pumps Dex or Str. I'd probably choose Firbolg for a Str Bloodhunter and grab GWM or PAM at 6th level. Or a Variant Human for the extra feat (early PAM or Sentinel). You now are a fighter without many bells or whistles, but you can remove resistance or immunity (which is gold), and do a bit of "I'm good at this thing too" per short rest. You could be a faceless man, and be a bit beastial at the same time.

Or just go for a Lycan. The Standard Array really isn't bad for Fighters/ Bloodhunters.

(I mean, I'd normally say "be a Firbolg Moon Druid, because they're awesome at everything", and the whole idea of character stats simply amuses druids, but I do try and tailor my advice a little).

sambojin
2020-05-17, 11:03 PM
I mean, what do any of the XP options give you, really?

Because an extra 4 levels gets you:
+30HP on average (assuming 14Con).
Two attacks.
+1 proficiency for skills and hitting stuff.
An ASI (in the stats you want, or a feat) which is about the same difference of the array compared to rolled stats.
A subclass.
Better class skills (in this case an extra +3 to your main stat through a mutagen, with some downsides).

+40HP doesn't really look that hot in comparison (considering you'll just start with +30HP average compared to a lvl1 start without it). Neither do rolled stats (your ASI at 4th makes up for the difference easily enough, but you've got more HP and attacks and proficiency straight away). I mean, they could be better, but maybe not.

I mean, some might be OK, but the standard array is fine for a Bloodhunter anyway. If it was going to lvl20, then the boosts are worth it, otherwise you might as well front load your class and your options all you can. An extra attack, +7.5HP, and a point of proficiency is better than most 2700xp things can give you anyway. And a full 4 levels is WAY better than the 6500xp options.

If it's standard point buy (and not the standard array), then go for that. Even a 24pt buy (instead of the usual 27pt buy) is great on fairly simple classes. My above advice goes double if this is the case.

Bobthewizard
2020-05-18, 06:10 AM
I mean, what do any of the XP options give you, really?

Because an extra 4 levels gets you:
+30HP on average (assuming 14Con).
Two attacks.
+1 proficiency for skills and hitting stuff.
An ASI (in the stats you want, or a feat) which is about the same difference of the array compared to rolled stats.
A subclass.
Better class skills (in this case an extra +3 to your main stat through a mutagen, with some downsides).

+40HP doesn't really look that hot in comparison (considering you'll just start with +30HP average compared to a lvl1 start without it). Neither do rolled stats (your ASI at 4th makes up for the difference easily enough, but you've got more HP and attacks and proficiency straight away). I mean, they could be better, but maybe not.

I think you would be behind to start for sure. If you are never going to level up again then I would agree with you.

But if you are going through a 5th level adventure, the 300XP to get to level 2, the 900 for level 3, etc. would all come very quickly. You'd be 5th level before the rest of the party hits level 6. It only takes 6500XP to reach level 5 and then it takes another 7500 (14,000 total) to reach level 6.

Then you'd have all the bonuses you describe plus the extra 40HP, and I think the +40HP is in addition to your 1st level HP so you could start with 53HP with a 16 CON.

Master O'Laughs
2020-05-18, 06:38 AM
This is a custom adventure. The end cap level is not defined. In a different game the DM is running which had the same options, a character who started at level 5 is now 6 and a character at level 1 is now 5.

Race is not an issue and should be chosen for flavor and abilities over stat spread because that is now determined by class (every class gets +2 & +1 or +1 x3 to certain stats based on starting class).

However, we chose to start in elf lands so majority of pop is elf. there are some humans, some dwarves and the rest are not even percentiled. The benefit of rolling well or getting the super stats as I see it is then every ASI can be spent on feats to customize the feel of the PC.

With that in mind, I am leaning Wood elf for the wood elf magic feat (pass without trace), Eladrin (for the teleport), or the Elf land human (climb speed of 30 ft if not encumbered or in heavy armor, prof in acrobatics and athletics, the halflings luck trait, Halfling brave trait).

Master O'Laughs
2020-05-19, 08:31 AM
I guess a final thing to get some advice on is fighting style.

Big reason to ask is my DM had created 4 new fighting styles that are all dagger oriented. The 2 which both have interest for me is one that gives +2 to attack and damage rolls with a dagger (kind of like combining archery and dueling) and the other is when you TWF you get as many attacks with your bonus Action as you get with your attack action (really good on level 20 fighters allowing 8 attacks on a turn, 4 for Blood Hunters once extra attack is gained).

Another thing is he has custom daggers which do different things, one for instance can be used in unarmed strikes (theoretically could be used with Lycan unarmed strikes) and others expand Crit range by 1.

With these two things in play, would daggers better than a rapier?

They would still be 2 average damage behind but more accurate or allowing 1 extra attack.

nickl_2000
2020-05-19, 08:33 AM
if it's GoT style the best advice I can give is that you shouldn't get to attached to any one character

Master O'Laughs
2020-05-19, 09:47 AM
if it's GoT style the best advice I can give is that you shouldn't get to attached to any one character

Isn't that the truth!