PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Please help me building some characters

Kapow
2020-05-16, 05:23 PM
Hi playground,

I will start a playing in a new Pathfinder (1e) campaign soon (probably roll20) and I would like some tips for my characters.

The campaign is advertised as "high mortality" and the GM told us to prepare at least two characters, so we have a replacement ready.
We will start at level 1, but later in the campaign the level of the replacement characters will be adjusted, probably to one below the surviving party.

Build rules:
20 point-buy
all 1st party content, except psionics and unchained (yeah, I know), and only the core featured and uncommon races
everyone gets one racial trait and can get another trait for a drawback
No good characters

There are no optimizers in the group, so I'd appreciate, to keep the cheese to a low level :smallwink:

The other starting characters will be...

A Changeling Inquisitor (Sacred Huntsman) - pretty much the face (I said no optimizers, didn't I?)

A Nagaji Rogue (Trapsmith) - we were told we would nee someone to handle traps...

A ? Witch - probably debuffer

So, I thought we'd need a heavy hitter:
CE Human (Heart of the Field alternate racial Trait), Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager Archetyp)

Str: 18
Dex: 12
Con: 15
Cha: 9
Int: 10
Wis: 12

Traits: carefully hidden, Deft Dodger
Drawback: Scarred

Feats: Power Attack, Raging Vitality

Favored Class: +1/3 Superstition

Skills: Acrobatics: 1, Handle Animals: 1, Perception: 1, Profession (Farmer): 1, Stealth: 1

I plan on going the Superstition and Eater of Magic route.

My first replacement character, actually what I wanted to play first, but as we already had a face...
CN Gnome (Artistic, Faerie Dragon and Gift of Tongues alternate racial Traits) Bard (Brazen Deceiver)

Str: 9
Dex: 15
Con: 14
Cha: 18
Int: 10
Wis: 10

Trait: Illusion Obsession

Feat: Improved Initiative

Favored Class: +1 round bardic Performance

Skills: Acrobatics: 1, Bluff: 1, Disguise: 1, Perception: 1, Perform (Act): 1, Stealth: 1, Use Magic Device: 1

Pretty much illusionist, trickster style

...and my 2nd replacement, favourably, when I can start at a higher level than 1...
this one isn't build yet, I wanted to try a maneuver build around Maneuver Master and Lore Warden.

I'd appreciate any input on how to build from there or even change stuff that would make those characters more effective.
I know there are some suboptimal choices (no optimizers, remember :smallwink:), but I like to tie some stuff to the backstories.

Thank you in advance :smallsmile:

Rynjin
2020-05-16, 05:35 PM
1st character looks fine; it is impossible to go wrong with that initial setup. Even if you pick deliberately suboptimal Feats from there on, that base chassis and the Barbarian abilities will carry you however far you go.

2nd character might be good, depending on how your DM rules illusions. I.e. are they completely useless or not?

3rd character I'd say should stick either as a Maneuver Master or Lore Warden, not both. I'd lean toward Maneuver Master if Unchained was in, but I think old Lore Warden edges it out. Not sure about new Lore Warden. Better than both would probably be a straight Brawler; you can specialize in a Combat Maneuver or two, then grab any more niche ones like Overrun with Martial Flex as needed.

Kapow
2020-05-17, 07:52 AM
1st character looks fine; it is impossible to go wrong with that initial setup. Even if you pick deliberately suboptimal Feats from there on, that base chassis and the Barbarian abilities will carry you however far you go.

2nd character might be good, depending on how your DM rules illusions. I.e. are they completely useless or not?

3rd character I'd say should stick either as a Maneuver Master or Lore Warden, not both. I'd lean toward Maneuver Master if Unchained was in, but I think old Lore Warden edges it out. Not sure about new Lore Warden. Better than both would probably be a straight Brawler; you can specialize in a Combat Maneuver or two, then grab any more niche ones like Overrun with Martial Flex as needed.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the first character.

On the second, it will depend on the opposition, but as I understand it, we will face a lot of humanoids.
Any tips on feats?

Brawler, hm? I'll have a look at this

Kurald Galain
2020-05-17, 11:00 AM
As Rynjin says, the barb is solid. I would look into Spell Sunder as well, and for save-boosting traits consider Sound Of Mind and Glory Of Old.

Likewise, in pretty much any party a bard is a useful addition. Illusion Obsession is not great though (CL rarely matters outside of blasting), and a bard gets way more performance rounds than he needs, so spend your favored class on something else. There are several nice party-boosting feats like Insightful Advice, Obscuring Beacon, and Flagbearer.

Maneuver builds are fun because they work really well with creative strategies. Also for this, don't underestimate a Magus: spell combat + True Strike + maneuver of your choice will almost always connect.

Kapow
2020-05-17, 11:22 AM
As Rynjin says, the barb is solid. I would look into Spell Sunder as well, and for save-boosting traits consider Sound Of Mind and Glory Of Old.

Likewise, in pretty much any party a bard is a useful addition. Illusion Obsession is not great though (CL rarely matters outside of blasting), and a bard gets way more performance rounds than he needs, so spend your favored class on something else. There are several nice party-boosting feats like Insightful Advice, Obscuring Beacon, and Flagbearer.

Maneuver builds are fun because they work really well with creative strategies. Also for this, don't underestimate a Magus: spell combat + True Strike + maneuver of your choice will almost always connect.

Good advice, thank you could probably use a skill more for the Bard.
I thought about going into shadow casting, does CL matter then?

Magus... didn't thought about that, but true strike sounds nice

Kris Moonhand
2020-05-17, 12:18 PM
When you say "all 1st party except psionics", do you mean actual psionics or PF's "psychic magic" classes like Mesmerist and Spiritualist?

Kapow
2020-05-17, 01:46 PM
When you say "all 1st party except psionics", do you mean actual psionics or PF's "psychic magic" classes like Mesmerist and Spiritualist?
I mean the latter
No occult classes

Kurald Galain
2020-05-17, 02:08 PM
I thought about going into shadow casting, does CL matter then?

Not particularly, unless you're going blasting with it.

Bear in mind that shadow casting requires 4th and higher level spells; and you're level one now. So maybe you need an intermediate goal first :smallbiggrin:

Kapow
2020-05-17, 02:24 PM
So maybe you need an intermediate goal first :smallbiggrin:
Yeah, good catch :)

So I guess the Pageant of the Peacock masterpiece doesn't fit the bill either?!

Seems like I REALLY want to get to level 7

Any tips on intermediate goals?