PDA

View Full Version : Simulacrum, the finer details of simul-cloning oneself: a question.

dehro
2020-05-17, 04:32 AM
My wizard character is coming up to gaining level 13, which means 7th level spells.
I would like to take Simulacrum.
My character is missing an arm, which has been replaced with a mechanical/magical arm...think Winter soldier, but less punchy. It too can be detached with some pulling and twisting. When detached it does not move or act on its own accord... it becomes about as useful as a creepy paperweight/doorstop.

If I were to copy myself, would the copy have 1 or 2 arms? if 2, would the second arm be "natural" or replicate my artificial arm?

DrKerosene
2020-05-17, 06:52 AM
I would probably rule that the Simulacrum has one arm, and you’d have to acquire a second/spare arm to give to the Simulacrum. Same as any other gear/items/etc.

I’m pretty sure Waterdeep Dragon Heist specifically has a one-armed villain who uses Simulacrum, and it’s the same situation.

JackPhoenix
2020-05-17, 07:37 AM
Per the "It appears to be the same as the original" part of Simulacrum, it sounds like it would copy any injuries or permanent body modifications the original has. It wouldn't have the artificial arm, as Simulacrum comes without any equipment.

dehro
2020-05-17, 08:23 AM
that's pretty much how I understand the spell to work. thanks for the confirmation

MarkVIIIMarc
2020-05-17, 09:04 AM
that's pretty much how I understand the spell to work. thanks for the confirmation

Personally I like the magical / mechanical arm.

If you did not know, Regenerate is the spell you are looking for. Its a Bard, Cleric or Druid spell.

dehro
2020-05-17, 11:10 AM
Personally I like the magical / mechanical arm.

If you did not know, Regenerate is the spell you are looking for. Its a Bard, Cleric or Druid spell.

I know, but I'm rather attached to my arm :biggrin:

Chronos
2020-05-17, 01:24 PM
Dragon Heist does have such an NPC, but it says that his Simulacra have the same stats as him except..., and then doesn't list the arm as being any different. So it sounds like the precedent is that your simulacrum would have its own mechanical arm.

DrKerosene
2020-05-18, 10:00 AM
Dragon Heist does have such an NPC, but it says that his Simulacra have the same stats as him except..., and then doesn't list the arm as being any different. So it sounds like the precedent is that your simulacrum would have its own mechanical arm.

I found a reddit comment that says:

The dude apparently went through the trouble of buying or making a robe, mask, and prosthetic arm & hand just for his Simulacrum. Perhaps he wished them into existence? Or Fabricated them, if he has the requisite tool proficiency? Either way, they exist, so question answered.

He probably wished fabricate for an arm.