PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What effect does the Soulseeker spell have if cast on an Undead soul?

Aotrs Commander
2020-05-17, 09:42 AM
What happens is you cast Soulseeker (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Soulseeker) and target a creature that is Undead (or you know is Undead, for example, an Undead BBEG)?

(Tried asking this on Paizo, forums, not had a response, so might as well ask here before I make up my own answer.)

The spell says it fails if the target soul (unambiguously identified) is alive or soul-destroyed creatures and the rest of the text seems to assume it's a petitioner.

Would it, then, given the strict wording (as Undead creatures haven't had judegment yet, yes?) locate said Undead creature on whatever plane it was approximately or would it simple fail as if it was a living creature?

(This is a theorhetical question I'm not actually planning to use it on a BBEG myself; I'm considering adding this to my house-rule approved list and therefore want to understand exactly how it works, and if necessary annotate it.)

Psyren
2020-05-17, 01:28 PM
An undead would definitely count as "not yet judged and moved on", so you would get the estimated plane of residence (or the find the path effect if they're on the same plane as you.) If they don't share your alignment, they get the will save.

My bigger question is why you'd want to use this to find an undead creature when Discern Location is better in nearly every way. About the only use case I can think of is that you're able to unambiguously identify them but have somehow never seen them before.

Aotrs Commander
2020-05-17, 01:36 PM
An undead would definitely count as "not yet judged and moved on", so you would get the estimated plane of residence (or the find the path effect if they're on the same plane as you.) If they don't share your alignment, they get the will save.

My bigger question is why you'd want to use this to find an undead creature when Discern Location is better in nearly every way. About the only use case I can think of is that you're able to unambiguously identify them but have somehow never seen them before.

The obvious one would be "find out where the (Undead) BBEG is currently" when you find his name or something. Would make it difficult to ever hide from determined opposition, since he's gonna fail that save everntually, or you just find/bribe a dude of the same alignment with a scroll or something.

Though yes, Discern Location would be better if you could find something that belonged to him.

Psyren
2020-05-17, 01:48 PM
The obvious one would be "find out where the (Undead) BBEG is currently" when you find his name or something. Would make it difficult to ever hide from determined opposition, since he's gonna fail that save everntually, or you just find/bribe a dude of the same alignment with a scroll or something.

Though yes, Discern Location would be better if you could find something that belonged to him.

Or have just seen him. Most dictators have posters, make appearances, or just show themselves to the heroes at some point :smalltongue:

A name might be enough to unambiguously identify if he's something like "Xykon the Conqueror." I guess villains should change their name to "Bob" to be safe :smallbiggrin:

But yes, given that it serves a similar purpose to DL and is the same spell level, using it to find an undead creature seems fine to me.

Aotrs Commander
2020-05-17, 01:55 PM
Or have just seen him. Most dictators have posters, make appearances, or just show themselves to the heroes at some point :smalltongue:

A name might be enough to unambiguously identify if he's something like "Xykon the Conqueror." I guess villains should change their name to "Bob" to be safe :smallbiggrin:

But yes, given that it serves a similar purpose to DL and is the same spell level, using it to find an undead creature seems fine to me.

Will add it to my list then, with an appropriate additional note.

It's "s," it won't take more than a moderately long time to re-paginate the spells document after I add it.

'Cos we all know that if I HADN'T left one out that I explcitly knew about that wuld likely want to go in, I'd have immediately found one I needed to add ANYWAY. Probably, like "Aardvark Shield," or something, just to make me do the ENTIRE thing again.