PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Draconic Warlock/Sorcerer/Dragonborn? Breath, resistances, spells, etc?

Nikushimi
2020-05-17, 01:52 PM
Hey there!

I had a question that is related to a character idea I had.

I'm not sure what this falls under. It's kind of a DM Help, Player Help, Optimization, Roleplaying, and Rules Questions and such.

I'm hoping that the greater minds of the forums with more knowledge and experience can help me figure this out and if it would be possible and how it would work.
---

Now, with the introduction out of the way here is some backstory followed by the question.

I have a character idea of a Kobold who worshiped and followed a Platinum Dragon God/Goddess. Attempting to do their best in the world. They were eventually caught and sacrificed/killed.

As their life drained from their body they found themselves waking up in another place, in another body.

They were blessed (as the Kobold sees it). Saved by their Platinum Dragon God/Goddess. Resurrected in a new body and finding themselves as a Draconic Sorcerer or Warlock

Their origin/patron? The very Platinum Dragon God/Goddess that brought them back for whatever reason it was.

This Kobold always strived to become like their God/Goddess.

Thus, they were give a new body and powers to match. This new body may or may not be a Dragonborn.

The Questions?
If they are brought back as a Dragonborn what kind of Breath Weapon would they have? Cold? Force? Radiant? Something else?

What about resistances? All? Choose one at first, then choose another later on?

What kind of spells would work for such a character?
---

I would really like some help in figuring this out.

Perhaps I simply reskin one of the cold dragons, such as Silver(?) to be Platinum instead and use all of that?

What other benefits would this grant, if any?

Perhaps access to more spells that deal Radiant damage?

I'd appreciate some help with this because I may either use it in my own game when I run as an NPC and option for other players, or I may try to talk my DM's into allowing me such a character.

Thanks!

EDIT
On a side note, I have attempted to search this online, but I can only find things related to 3.5. Nothing for 5e so I apologize if this has been asked and created elsewhere.

Arkhios
2020-05-18, 04:01 AM
I once saw a statblock someone made for Bahamut (THE Platinum Dragon God). The statblock had a breath weapon that dealt "Divine Sonic" damage, which would translate to Radiant and Thunder damage (respectively) in 5e. It's not actually unprecedented to have an AoE effect deal multiple damage types at once. For example Destructive Wave, a 5th level spell, deals Radiant or Necrotic (your choice) AND Thunder damage. However, I would be a bit iffy to let a class feature duplicate such effects, at least if gained at lower levels, and would lean towards only Thunder for the breath weapon damage. Since Bahamut is a Deity, you could argue that Resistance to Radiant damage is reasonable, as well as Resistance to Thunder damage.

gloryblaze
2020-05-18, 05:05 AM
Bahamut has traditionally had three breath weapons:

-Polar breath (cold)
-Vaporizing breath (his equivalent of the “nonlethal” breath weapons other metallic dragons have, like sleep, paralysis, or weakening. It essentially forces the effects of a gaseous form spell onto his enemies, rendering them helpless)
-As Arkhios alluded to above, a sonic roar (that disintegrates enemies that it kills)

Between these breath weapons and Bahamut’s celestial origin, cold, thunder, and radiant are probably the elements most associated with him.

So the obvious route would just be to pick Silver, as silver and platinum are essentially the same color, and Bahamut does iconically have a cold breath. But going with something more unique, like cold resist but thunder breath or radiant resist with cold or thunder breath might make your character feel more distinct from a run-of-the-mill silver.

Chronos
2020-05-18, 09:30 AM
Radiant and thunder are both much better damage types to do than the standard ones available to dragonborn (fire, cold, lightning, acid, or poison), so I wouldn't allow that for your breath. But since Bahamut also has cold breath, that's be on theme, and balanced with other dragonborn that already do cold damage.

For resistance, players face radiant and/or thunder much less often than they face cold, so I wouldn't object to you having resistance to one of those (even though it doesn't match your breath, as is typical for dragonborn). They're uncommon enough that I might even allow you to have both.

KorvinStarmast
2020-05-18, 09:45 AM
I suggest Silver Dragonborn and press on.

Nikushimi
2020-05-19, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Seems people are in the boat of giving Platinum Dragonborn Cold breath and then resistance to either Thunder or Radiant.

As for a Platinum Draconic Sorcerer or Warlock with the Platinum Dragon God/Goddess as their patron (if I don't go Dragonborn as the body they're revived in) how should that be done?

Cause Sorcerers don't really gain many Radiant spells, if any honestly, and Thunder and Cold spells are few and far between that it seems very meh with that.

As for a Warlock...I guess that would be making a full subclass. Possibly giving them access to spells that deal Radiant, Thunder, and Cold?

I appreciate the help and feedback.

gloryblaze
2020-05-19, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Seems people are in the boat of giving Platinum Dragonborn Cold breath and then resistance to either Thunder or Radiant.

As for a Platinum Draconic Sorcerer or Warlock with the Platinum Dragon God/Goddess as their patron (if I don't go Dragonborn as the body they're revived in) how should that be done?

Cause Sorcerers don't really gain many Radiant spells, if any honestly, and Thunder and Cold spells are few and far between that it seems very meh with that.

As for a Warlock...I guess that would be making a full subclass. Possibly giving them access to spells that deal Radiant, Thunder, and Cold?

I appreciate the help and feedback.

I might go Divine Soul sorcerer and/or Celestial warlock, as Bahamut is, you know, a god, so that works out fluff-wise and gives you the radiant spells you’re missing (and you can still grab Thunderwave, Shatter, Cone of Cold, etc if you go sorcerer)

Nikushimi
2020-05-20, 09:11 AM
I might go Divine Soul sorcerer and/or Celestial warlock, as Bahamut is, you know, a god, so that works out fluff-wise and gives you the radiant spells you’re missing (and you can still grab Thunderwave, Shatter, Cone of Cold, etc if you go sorcerer)

That makes sense. Thank you!

Just thought I'd ask because I don't see the healing side being a Platinum Dragon thing.

I also have never mentioned Bahamut because there are more than just Bahamut for Platinum Dragons. Even though he IS the main one.

But I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-20, 09:26 AM
There aren't canonically any other Platinum Dragons than Bahamut in default D&D settings AFAIK. He's it, the one.

As a DM, if a player wanted to do this I would use Silver Dragonborn (cold breath, cold resistance) and suggest Divine Soul Sorcerer. Divine Soul Sorcerer can choose Cleric spells, so they should be able to pick up Radiant spells if they like.

chando
2020-05-20, 10:06 AM
I would just çlike to point the possibility of a different direction. Yes the entity is a/the Platinium Dragon. The Kobold Reborn could still be closer to Red Dragon or Brass Dragon or Black Dragon because thats what he, the character, a kobold with a specific nature and soul, mostly approcimates to when "evolved" into a True-Dragon-to-be. This way you could have any draconic lineage for dragonborn, and any draconic sorcerer, and easily refluff most infernal warlock into a red-dragon powers and fey as a green-ish dragon, GoO as black maybe?, etc... The character could aspire to act and be like the platinium dragon, even if its different from its nature. Bahamut or the Platinium Dragon is as much as a god as a metaphor, some unacheivible utopy for a dragon to be like, yet that all shuld strive towards it.
(Of course, that are those that argue that Tiamat is the supreme dragon in the existense and seek to emulate her, but those are fools and unbeleivers and should be showed the light, for bahamut beleives that every dragon is capable of redemption, even the lowlyest kobold!)

Nikushimi
2020-05-20, 10:39 AM
There aren't canonically any other Platinum Dragons than Bahamut in default D&D settings AFAIK. He's it, the one.

As a DM, if a player wanted to do this I would use Silver Dragonborn (cold breath, cold resistance) and suggest Divine Soul Sorcerer. Divine Soul Sorcerer can choose Cleric spells, so they should be able to pick up Radiant spells if they like.

The thing about that is, according to Forgotten Realms wiki, there are more than just Bahamut. They’re just rare.

Also, the DMs I have are pretty flexible with deities and even tend to create their own. But Bahamut is a good base.

The thing about this character is they want to basically become like the one they lead. To become a true Platinum Dragon. This the deity, for services already rendered, saved them and started them on their path. So they just need to continue down it.

With Divine Soul Sorcerer or Celestial Warlock this would be hard. For Draconic Sorcerer they actually DO become more draconic.

Though I COULD work something out with the DMs (depending on whose campaign) that slowly progresses them into being that form they so strive for.

I’m still fleshing things out but that’s the main pull of the character. To emulate and even possibly become more dragon, and what better dragon than the one they follow? The Platinum.

I took this idea from the lore of Kobolds that says they wish to fly and be like true dragons. At least I think I read that somewhere.

Nikushimi
2020-05-20, 10:40 AM
All things considered though, these are some good ideas I may have to take into account if the DMs want to stick to no changes and everything.

But they’re pretty flexible. I love the brainstorming and appreciate the answers! Thank you!

Wizard_Lizard
2020-05-20, 06:49 PM
I mean my homebrew platinum dragonborn uses radiant for resistance and breath weapon.

Joe the Rat
2020-05-21, 12:16 PM
Draco Sorcerer would get you the scaly bits, and more dragon-heavy traits.
Celestial Warlock is a good way to pepper some radiance into the build. Charisma-based Sacred Flame, eventually with ChaMod to damage, makes an on-theme go-to if you stick around that long. Healing may not be core to the concept, but most celestial-types are heal-friendly.

Flavor goes a long way as well - turning any of your spells into "looks like a breath attack, hits like X" adds a bit of the dragon feel. This has been working well for my over-hyped Kobold Celestial Warlock, follower of Bahamut's 6th Canary/Ancient Gold Dragon.