PDA

View Full Version : Making weird Racial Bonuses

MaxieZeus
2020-05-17, 08:52 PM
I'm designing a homebrew mechanic for 5e called Racial Bonuses. basically identical to the "Favored Class Bonuses" of Pathfinder, except a bit more flavourful and mechanically oriented towards 5e. I only made the Racial Bonuses for the Main Core Races, no Sub-races like Hill-Dwarves and no extra races from additional resources like Aaracroca. Players get access to Racial Bonuses at Level 3 or their respective class. So close to early game, but requires some amount of dedication to the class. No Multiclassing 1 level to get 1 extra Racial Bonus.

I currently only have the Racial Bonuses designed for Barbarian and Bard, but this should be a good starting place to explain how this all looks, and perhaps get some inspiration from the rest of you, as well as some criticism about whether or not these abilities are too strong or not for Level 3 Racial abilities. They are intended to reward more complex character building and give people more unique dynamic play-throughs.

BARBARIAN
Dwarf – Barbaric Constitution
You gain +3 additional Health upon reaching 3rd Level Barbarian and gain +1 additional Health for every later Barbarian Level. (This bonus does not replace the Hill Dwarf’s nature Health bonus)

Elf – Primal Vision
As long as you are in your Barbarian Rage, you can make Perception Checks as a Bonus Action, and can apply twice their proficiency bonus to all Perception Checks made while in Barbarian Rage. This bonus applies to passive perception as well.

Halfling – Huge Weapon
You can wield Heavy Weapons without issue and can make a trip attack as a single Attack Action. (I can't remember if Tripping is a viable action in 5e or not)

Human (none atm, Humans already get a free Feat and I didn't know what flavourfully fit humans over other races)

Dragonborn – Draconic Rage
You apply your Barbarian Rage Damage Bonus to your Breath Weapon.

Gnome – Shatter & Repair
You learn the Mending Cantrip and when you successfully hit an opponent while in Barbarian Rage and your opponent is wielding a non-magic weapon, you can make a strength check competed against a DC of 10 + the weapon’s damage dice (against weapons with multiple damage die, combine them). If you succeed, the weapon is broken beyond use, but not beyond repair.

Half-Elf – Hearty Hero
You have advantage on Constitution checks and Constitution Saving Throws.

Half-Orc – Relentless Rage
You can use the Relentless Endurance Racial Feature once per Barbarian Rage in addition to your normal Once per Long Rest.

Tiefling – Infernal Rage
You may cast your Infernal Legacy spells and Cantrips while Barbarian Rage. At 5th Level you can see through magical Darkness while in Barbarian Rage.

BARD
Dwarf – Stonewarning
Barbarian ability to detect traps, but only in regards to stone work.

Elf – Ancient History
Your long life-span has led to you picking up more elusive bits of history. You have advantage on all Intelligence based History Checks to learn about something more than 100 years old.

Halfling – Hand-Me-Downs
You gain Proficiency in the Disguise Kit and have Expertise in using it to disguise yourself as a Human, Elvish or half-elf child. You also have Expertise in any charisma-based Performance or Persuasion check to convince people you are who you say you are.

Human (none atm, Humans already get a free Feat and I didn't know what flavourfully fit humans over other races)

Dragonborn – Fiery Performance
When you use your Breath Weapon, you can spend 1 Bardic Inspiration die and add the result to both the DC of the saving throw, and the damage dealt. When making a Charisma-based Performance check, you can expend 1 use of your Breath Weapon to give yourself Advantage on the check.

Gnome - Bardic Inquisition
1 additional Bardic Inspiration Die, but can only be used for Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma ability checks.

Half-Elf - Jack of All Saves
You can add half your proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any Saving Throw you make that doesn’t already include your proficiency bonus.

Half-Orc – Dominant Presence
Once per short or long rest, you can make a Charisma based Intimidation Check against one or more non-Hostile NPCs (DC 12 + the number of people affected). If you succeed, you can roll 1 Bardic Inspiration Dice and apply the result as a bonus to all Charisma based Ability Checks made against those affected this way.

Tiefling – Contract Law
Skilled in the ways of agreements and deals, whenever you succeed on a Charisma-based Persuasion or Intimidation Skill Check against a non-hostile NPC, you can add 1 minor stipulation to the agreement that your DM agrees on, and the other character must agree to it. Characters you use this feature on are unaffected by it for the rest of the day or until you have a long rest.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-05-18, 05:44 PM
This is a pretty cool idea.. the barbarian bonuses seem a tad more powerful than the bard ones, but it's a really nice concept.

MaxieZeus
2020-05-18, 08:43 PM
This is a pretty cool idea.. the barbarian bonuses seem a tad more powerful than the bard ones, but it's a really nice concept.

thanks. i honestly thought it was the other way around and the Bard ones were better than the Barbarian