PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bard Subclass: The College of Explosions

DaFlipp
2020-05-18, 06:31 AM
Hello all! First time homebrew poster here, just thought I'd share a homebrew subclass I threw together recently for a game I'm going to be DMing soon. Please note that the campaign will be quite low-level and our group isn't too focused on optimization in general, so I'm not really looking for feedback on how to improve its longevity (I'm quite convinced this would be a sub-par choice for any high-level PC without serious tweaks), I just liked the flavor of it enough that I figured I'd share in case anyone wanted to improve it and use it for their own games.

(Backstory: Player wanted to play a goblin "mad bomber" type, but the party already included an artificer and a wild mage sorcerer by that point, and I started brainstorming less obvious class options for the archetype, and for some reason this sprang to mind more or less fully-formed.)

College of Explosions

Any amateur can inspire with a soaring melody or a rousing chorus. Only the most skilled performers can inspire with a carefully-executed series of combustive reactions. The College of Explosions is not for the faint of heart, though it is honestly pretty great for the faint of hearing.

Bonus Proficiencies
When you join the College of Explosions, you gain proficiency with medium armor and with alchemist's supplies.

More Boom
You can add your Charisma modifier to any damage roll from a cantrip or spell that deals thunder damage.

Inspire More Boom
You inspire your allies to greater heights of mayhem. Whenever an ally successfully uses an attack, spell, or other ability to damage multiple enemies at once with the same damage roll, a creature that has a Bardic Inspiration die from you can roll that die and add the number rolled to their damage roll. This only works if the damage comes from a single, unified source; for example, it would not boost an ally’s Scorching Ray even if they targeted multiple opponents (since each opponent was targeted by a separate spell attack) but it would apply to a Fireball’s blast.

Terrifying Boom
At 6th level, you learn how to shake the confidence of your foes when they are subjected to your explosive symphonies. When you deal thunder damage to one or more enemies with a spell, you can require a Wisdom saving throw against your spellcasting difficulty from every creature of your choice who took that damage. If they fail the save, they are considered Frightened of you until the end of your next turn. You can do this a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier. All uses of Terrifying Boom are restored after a short or long rest.

Magical Secret (of Boom)
At 6th level, you may add the spell Thunder Step (see Xanathar’s, p. 168) to your spell list and treat it as if it were a Bard spell. This does not count toward your spell total.

Booming Refrain
At 14th level, whenever you use your action to cast a spell, you can use a bonus action to cast a cantrip that causes thunder damage, even if that cantrip usually requires a standard action.

I also made an extra cantrip specifically for this subclass to use (though I'm also going to let the group's artificer and sorcerer use it if they want)

Thunderstone
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, M (an alchemically treated stone or other concoction, which is lobbed at the target)
Duration: Instantaneous
You cause a localized explosion that rattles the target. The target makes a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the target takes 1d6 thunder damage, and it has disadvantage on the next weapon attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.
The spell’s damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).

(Yeah it's Frostbite but with Thunder damage)