PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Raven from The Black Company Chronicles

KorvinStarmast
2020-05-18, 02:08 PM
At long last I picked up a discounted copy of Cook's The Black Company Chronicles and I've finished the first book of the trilogy. (And I really enjoyed it, a lot). I've started on the second book.

Before I go any further; please no spoilers from the White Rose (book 3). I was pretty sure I had figured out who the White Rose is late in Book 1, and Book 2 has for me nearly sealed the deal about 9 chapters in. But I don't mind being wrong if I find out otherwise.

I am trying to get a grip on how to put together Raven as a D&D 5e character.

I am tempted to construct him from a noble background, but as to class all I can come up with is either Gloom Stalker ranger, or some kind of Monk with a proficiency in Long Bow.

But maybe he's a Battle Master?

Help me build Raven to about characterl level 10-12. The one thing I am sure of is archery Fighting style, and maybe the Sharpshooter feat.

Trask
2020-05-18, 03:50 PM
Because of his dagger conjuring trick I'm tempted to make him an eldritch knight, but honestly he gives me more rogue vibes than anything else. Hes deadly quiet and deadly good with a blade. He just has the rogue feel, lurking in the shadows glowering at people. But at the same time he does wear chain mail and fight in the thick of things when necessary. I'd probably go for Fighter (Eldritch Knight) 3/Rogue (Assassin) X. His tracking and wilderness skills can easily just be survival proficiency, he doesnt need to be a ranger i dont think.

GlenSmash!
2020-05-18, 04:59 PM
He favors the dagger and the bow, and seems to have a very limited talent for magic. beyond that details are sparse. 3 levels of gloomstalker is not bad as that would give him Disguise self, which is very suited to Raven. But high level Assassin would give a more mundane means of disguise.

Mostly Assassin with a couple of levels in fighter seems to fit best to me too.

KorvinStarmast
2020-05-19, 09:40 AM
He favors the dagger and the bow, and seems to have a very limited talent for magic. beyond that details are sparse. 3 levels of gloomstalker is not bad as that would give him Disguise self, which is very suited to Raven. But high level Assassin would give a more mundane means of disguise.

Mostly Assassin with a couple of levels in fighter seems to fit best to me too.
OK, gloom stalker / rogue multiclass. I think I'll go 5/5.
Thanks.

DrKerosene
2020-05-19, 10:33 AM
I think it’d probably be more appropriate to go with the Secret Identity background feature (not necessarily saying to take a different background all together, just the ability to make a new fake identity). Though Assassin should work if you’re willing to take enough levels.

I think using the Variant Human starting feat of Magic Initiate would probably be fine (if you want). Later on (book 10 or 4B) I suspect he takes the Ritual Caster feat (with slightly homebrewed ritual spells).

I don’t recall Raven using shields, or even noisy armor. I’m also pretty sure Raven doesn’t demonstrate any darkvision, or any missile deflection abilities, nor stunning strikes, etc. So I figure a Rogue, Ranger, or light armored Fighter, is probably the most accurate. He did use some archery briefly, mostly flashes his daggers and glares.

Perhaps some kind of urban ranger might be relevant, with what Raven does in the city of Juniper. But again, he doesn’t obviously use a lot of magic.

I’m pretty sure you can make one of his Flaws a fear of intimacy or close friendship or something like that.

KorvinStarmast
2020-05-19, 02:08 PM
I think it’d probably be more appropriate to go with the Secret Identity background feature (not necessarily saying to take a different background all together, just the ability to make a new fake identity). Though Assassin should work if you’re willing to take enough levels.

I think using the Variant Human starting feat of Magic Initiate would probably be fine (if you want). Later on (book 10 or 4B) I suspect he takes the Ritual Caster feat (with slightly homebrewed ritual spells).

I don’t recall Raven using shields, or even noisy armor. I’m also pretty sure Raven doesn’t demonstrate any darkvision, or any missile deflection abilities, nor stunning strikes, etc. So I figure a Rogue, Ranger, or light armored Fighter, is probably the most accurate. He did use some archery briefly, mostly flashes his daggers and glares.

Perhaps some kind of urban ranger might be relevant, with what Raven does in the city of Juniper. But again, he doesn’t obviously use a lot of magic.

I’m pretty sure you can make one of his Flaws a fear of intimacy or close friendship or something like that. Fighter, Dex based, Archery Fighting style, then 9 levels of rogue/assassin?
3 battle master 7 rogue/assassin?

DrKerosene
2020-05-19, 10:00 PM
Fighter, Dex based, Archery Fighting style, then 9 levels of rogue/assassin?
3 battle master 7 rogue/assassin?

If you finish the first three books in the series, you can skip to The Silver Spike (book 10 iirc) since it basically wraps up the local story stuff and still features an older Raven. I want to say Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight, but the class features don’t seem to actually better reflect Raven than your build.

I don’t think your build suggestion is clearly wrong or anything, but I’d maybe go with the Thief subclass for the Use Magic Device ability (if Ritual Caster and/or Magic Initiate don’t seem like things you want).

Books 4-9 head so far south I think it ends up past the equator, and I don’t think any meaningful info on Raven comes up there.

KorvinStarmast
2020-05-20, 07:43 AM
I don’t think your build suggestion is clearly wrong or anything, but I’d maybe go with the Thief subclass for the Use Magic Device ability (if Ritual Caster and/or Magic Initiate don’t seem like things you want).

Books 4-9 head so far south I think it ends up past the equator, and I don’t think any meaningful info on Raven comes up there. Hmm, Fighter 1 or Fighter 3? Rogue 9 or Rogue 7? Swap to Thief. As this PC won't get to level 14 (Thief 13) UMD likely does not enter into it.

GlenSmash!
2020-05-20, 11:49 AM
If you finish the first three books in the series, you can skip to The Silver Spike (book 10 iirc) since it basically wraps up the local story stuff and still features an older Raven. I want to say Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight, but the class features don’t seem to actually better reflect Raven than your build.

Books 4-9 head so far south I think it ends up past the equator, and I don’t think any meaningful info on Raven comes up there.

Ritual Caster is a good idea. It fits the fact that he has magical talent and is able to reproduce a sorcerers ritual, but is by no means a practiced spellcaster.

I'm changing my vote. Battlemaster 3/ Assassin X with Ritual Caster is the closest I think you could get to a perfect Raven build. Now I wonder if Croaker is best as a straight Thief with the healer feat.

KorvinStarmast
2020-05-20, 12:52 PM
I'm changing my vote. Battlemaster 3/ Assassin X with Ritual Caster is the closest I think you could get to a perfect Raven build. Now I wonder if Croaker is best as a straight Thief with the healer feat. Ooh, good idea Glen. I think I'll go with that. And now I need to figure out which ritual spells ...

Prerequisite: Intelligence or Wisdom 13 or higher
you acquire a ritual book holding two 1st-level spells of your choice. Choose one of the following classes: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or wizard.
You must choose your spells from that class’s spell list, and the spells you choose must have the ritual tag. The class you choose also determines your spellcasting ability for these spells: Charisma for bard, sorcerer, or warlock; Wisdom for cleric or druid; or Intelligence for wizard. If you come across a spell in written form, such as a magical spell scroll or a wizard’s spellbook, you might be able to add it to your ritual book. The spell must be on the spell list for the class you chose, the spell’s level can be no higher than half your level (rounded up), and it must have the ritual tag. Hmmmm.
Comprehend Languages*; Detect Magic*; Water Breathing*, Water Walk* (and any custom made spells that fit ...home brew time)
That's the limit. :p

saucerhead
2020-05-21, 10:27 AM
If you finish the first three books in the series, you can skip to The Silver Spike (book 10 iirc) since it basically wraps up the local story stuff and still features an older Raven. snip.

The Silver Spike is my favorite book of the series, and I like all of them. As to Raven I think you guys are on the right track. Gloomstalker/Assassin or Eldritch knight/scout.