PDA

View Full Version : Power Attack Help

carrdrivesyou
2020-05-18, 02:46 PM
So it's been ages since I've played 3.5 and need some help with remembering how this feat functions.

In my situation, I am a level 5 dragon shaman with 17 STR, and a +1 Scythe (with weapon focus feat, x4 crit mod).

so on a power attack (3) crit, I am swinging for:

8d4 (base) +12 (STR) + 12 (Power Attack) + 4 (weapon enchantment)

later with leap attack, it will be:

8d4 (base) +12 (STR) + 24 (Power Attack) + 4 (weapon enchantment)

Is this math right??

DeTess
2020-05-18, 02:56 PM
On a two-handed weapon like the scythe, you get double the return for power attack, so 2 points of damage per point of BaB (so double your power attack damage in both cases). Apart from that, I think you got it all right.

GrayDeath
2020-05-18, 03:51 PM
Hmmm at Level 5, you can, having a BAB of +3, at most put 3 pts into your Power attack, thereby reducing your to hit roll by3, and due to it being a handed weapon increasing your Damage by 6 pts.

So your attack (assuming you have no further bonuses) would be:
+3 BAB +3 Strength +1 Scythe +1 WF -3 Power attack = +5
Damage would be:
2D4+1 Enchantment +5 Strength +6 Power Attack.
Assuming a Crit, this multiplies all values mentioned above by 4. So 8D4+4+20+24 in total.

Now at Level 20 you might be able to swing far more, but then why mention you are Level 5 and the +1 Enchantment?

Powerdork
2020-05-18, 07:11 PM
You're missing a point of damage from your basic attack (which is 4 points of damage on the crit) because when you use a two-handed weapon, or a one-handed weapon in two hands, your +3 Strength bonus to damage is increased to 150% (rounded down to +4).

The basic damage breakdown is thus:
2d4+1 +4 Strength +6 Power Attack, plus any bonuses from additional effects like a bard's ability to inspire courage.

The critical, then: 2d4+11 slashing damage, and 6d4+33 more slashing damage that stands to be negated by fortification effects or type immunities. Additional flat damage is usually multiplied, but dice above and beyond your basic weapon damage die never are, as a reminder.

You're a regular grim reaper.

carrdrivesyou
2020-05-18, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the help folks!