PDA

View Full Version : Got a background element for a character I'm having trouble with

ButzSanchez
2020-05-18, 11:47 PM
Hey all, a friend is starting a campaign using the adventurer's guide to Wildemont and is having us roll up character backgrounds using the creation tables of the book. I managed to get some neat stuff I was able to build on, but there's one part I'm having trouble with and wanted some input on.

Each background consists of who your allies and who your rivals are, where they live, what their relation is to you, etc. You roll on tables and the DM tells you who these people are, then you lego everything together to make fully realized people you have relationships with.

One of the people I got was a full grown adult gold/red dragon. He got rolled to be assigned to a rival slot. Of my choices, I had;

"Person wants to be your friend, but their help has always made life harder."

"Once loved this person, but broke their heart, and they are now obsessed with hurting you back."

"Broke a promise to this rival that caused them to suffer greatly, now they seek to do the same to you."

"I bested them in combat, but they believe I cheated. They long to prove they are the greater warrior."

Given how three of these options pit my level 1 character in an antagonistic relationship with an adult dragon, I decided to go with the first option; this dragon wants to be my friend, but their help makes my life harder. Not only does this mean I don't have to get smooshed in a fight I can't win, but it also has potential for hilarity. My question is, what should I do with this? What would be appropriately funny?

I don't want to try to be dramatic with this one since I already have a pretty good dramatic background tie to work with. Any suggestions?